Eco BS: A History in Pictures Olivia Meszaros ARH 234 Dr. Julie Hruby Fall 2011
Timeline of Eco BS from Building A College- 1889 to 1955
Timeline of Eco BS from maps not listed in Building A College
Music HallMusic was first taught in the Ladies Hall(Fairchild Hall), but in 1898 it was movedto the Hutchinson House, which waswhere the Boone Tavern parking lot nowis.It later became the Office of the Dean ofthe Academy, and the music classes weremoved.
Hunting HallIt was constructed with student laborstarting in 1915, to house over 50 Academyboys. It had additions made to it over time.From 1942 it was housing women, and didso until 1971 when it was razed.
Putnam Hall (Faith Hall)Built from 1912 to 1913, it was named for KateUrner Putnam, a teacher at the Academy. Itwas originally named Faith Hall, because atits start, they lacked the funds to complete it,and were building it on faith. It was lived inby Vocational School girls, Academy boys andhouses a portion of the Fireside Industries. Itwas used from 1913 to 1970, and stood aboutwhere Anna Smith student parking now is. Itwas razed in the summer of 1971.
Parish House (Academy Chapel,Foundation School Chapel, “The Ship”Built from 1902 to 1903, the building had afew transformations. It was the AcademyChapel, the Foundation School’s Chapel, and“The Ship” when used by the Navy V-12students. It was the seventh building built bythe college for religious uses, and it had alsoserved as Union Church until the one acrossthe street was built. The college bought itfrom Union Church in 1922, and it was useduntil it was razed in 1971.
Parish House (Academy Chapel,Foundation School Chapel, “The Ship”
Prospect House It was built in the 1890’s as a privatehome, but wasn’t bought by the collegeuntil 1901. It was built were Anna Smithnow stands, and housed male Academystudents.
CottagesMany of these were first private residencesand then bought by the college to housestudents and faculty and staff. They wereall over campus, and often torn town,moved, or built to serve whatever needthere was.
Anna SmithAnna Smith was built from 1949 to 1950 ina space cleared by Prospect, Rose andMarshall Cottages. It was built to housefemale students.
Sources• All photographs taken from Berea College Special Collections and Archives• Boyce, Robert. Building A College: An Architectural History of Berea College. Berea, Kentucky: Berea College, 2006.