1. The Battle Against Penguin & PandasGetting Back Ranking and Running Future Proof SEO Strategies Benj Arriola @BenjArriola Ballroom G www.internetmarketinginc.com
2. Agenda-at-a-Glance How sure are you How to get back How to avoid that you were hit lost rankings and Panda and by a Panda or organic search Penguin Penguin update? traffic. problems. Why these How to avoid any practices work. future search Case Studies engine update problem. Knowing “why” aside from “how” sometimes confuses others. But sometimes it helps others when “why” helps them understand more.
3. Were you hit by the Panda or Penguin Update?Web Analytics Panda & Penguin Update Dates Google organic search traffic over time. Correlate Google organic search View the date and time range during the traffic with rollout dates of the Panda updates. & Penguin Updates. You can use any decent web analytics Find them on existing blogs: platform that records organic search traffic and can filter by search engine. Search Engine Land Google Analytics SEOMoz Adobe SiteCatalyst Search Engine Journal IBM Enterprise Marketing Management Search Engine Roundtable (Formerly CoreMetrics) SEOBook WebTrends Search Engine Watch Piwik Others Others SEOMoz Google Algorithm Change History Panda/Penguin Detection: Correlate Incoming Google Organic Search traffic trends with the Algorithm Change History
4. Examples of Sites Hit by Panda/Penguin(Client Product/Service: Garage Doors)
5. Examples of Sites Hit by Panda/Penguin(Client Product/Service: Garage Doors) Effects of some Panda & Penguin updates may not be that obvious if your data range is too long within Google Analytics.
6. Examples of Sites Hit by Panda/Penguin(Narrowing the Date Range) Panda 3.5 Penguin 1.0 Panda 3.6 Overall Day / Week Search Organic Google Traffic / Month It may be useful to smoothen the line by changing the chart to display daily, weekly or monthly to remove the confusion of fluctuation.
7. Examples of Sites Hit by Panda/Penguin(False Positive, Client Product/Service: Financial/Stocks) Sudden Drop in Overall Traffic June 2011 – Panda 2.2?
8. Examples of Sites Hit by Panda/Penguin(False Positive, Client Product/Service: Financial/Stocks) Sudden Drop in Overall Traffic Filtered, Organic Search Traffic Only June 2011 – Panda 2.2?2.2? June 2011 – Panda
9. Examples of Sites Hit by Panda/Penguin(False Positive, Client Product/Service: Financial/Stocks) Filtered, Google Organic Traffic Only Filtered, Organic Search Search Traffic Only June 2011 – Panda 2.2? June 2011 – Panda 2.2?????
10. Examples of Sites Hit by Panda/Penguin (False Positive, Client Product/Service: Financial/Stocks)GoogleSearch except Google Filtered, Google Organic SearchReferring Sites Traffic Only June 2011 – Panda 2.2????? Not filtering down to Google Organic Search within Analytics may give misleading Panda/Penguin incorrect analysis.
11. Understanding the Panda & Penguin UpdatesPanda/Panda Update Date DetailsPanda 1 Feb 23, 2011 Thin Content Content Farms Ad-to-Content Ratio Content Quality 12% of queries affected in the USPanda 2 Apr 11, 2011 Blocked Sites English-Speaking Country Roll OutPanda 2.2 Jun 21, 2011 Gradual Roll Out, Dancing ResultsPanda 2.4 Aug 12, 2011 English and Non-English Except Chinese, Japanese and Korean 6-9% of queries affectedPenguin 1 Apr 24, 2012 Over Use of Anchor Text Keyword Stuffed Anchor Text 3.1 English queries affectedPanda 2.1, 2.3, 2.5, Various dates Mostly minor updates, not much details were given except that theFlux, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, starting announcement of the roll outs were made either in a conference, a3.5, 3.6, 3.7, 3.8, 3.9, Jul 23, 2011 tweet, or on one of the Google maintained blogs.3.9.1, 3.9.2, #20Penguin 1.1, #3
12. Understanding the Panda & Penguin UpdatesPanda/Panda Update Date DetailsPanda 1 Feb 23, 2011 Thin ContentPanda Update = Quality Content Farms Content Penguin Update = Quality Links Ad-to-Content Ratio Content Quality I’m bored 12% of queries affected in the USreading yourPanda 2 Apr 11, 2011 Blocked Sites mediocre English-Speaking Country Roll Out content.Panda 2.2 Jun 21, 2011 Gradual Roll Out, Dancing Results Your links lookPanda 2.4 Aug 12, 2011 like some English and Non-English Except Chinese, Japanese and Korean 6-9% of queries affected spammy SEOPenguin 1 Apr 24, 2012 Over Use of Anchor Text guy made it. Keyword Stuffed Anchor Text 3.1 English queries affectedPanda 2.1, 2.3, 2.5, Various dates Mostly minor updates, not much details were given except that theFlux, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, starting announcement of the roll outs were made either in a conference, a3.5, 3.6, 3.7, 3.8, 3.9, Jul 23, 2011 tweet, or on one of the Google maintained blogs.3.9.1, 3.9.2, #20Penguin 1.1, #3
13. Panda Update = Quality Content How can Google Measure Quality Content? Content Layout & Site Architecture User Behavior Understanding the Content Itself Manual Reviews
14. Quality ContentContent Layout & Site Architecture Ad-to-Content Ratio Less Ads, More Content Related Updates: Above The Fold Update, Jan 19, 2012 (Top Heavy) Page Layout #2, Oct 9, 2012 (Top Heavy 2) Tools Google In-Page Analytics ResizeMyBrowser.com Web Developer Toolbar Firefox, Chrome Extension
15. Quality Content Content Layout & Site Architecture Thin Content Categorize well, consolidate similar pages, eliminate Page Consolidation duplicate content. Content Siloing Site Architecture Interesting,Informative,Link Baitable Not too deep Tip: Duplicate Content – Block, Redirect or Canonical: http://mz.cm/LAvPGn
16. Quality ContentUser BehaviorMeasuring Quality Based on User Behavior Fixes SERP Clickthrough Rates Monitor Google Webmaster Bounce Back to SERPs Tools clickthrough rate Blocked Sites Monitor pages with high Back Button bounce rate coming from Google organic search. Google Toolbar Write better Title tags and https://www.google.com/reviews/t?hl=en Meta descriptions Google Analytics? Strong second call-to-action Time on Site & Bounce Rate Other Platforms: Piwik Chrome Browser? Backlinks? Emotional Triggers in Writing Titles: http://bit.ly/emotiontrigger
17. Quality ContentUnderstanding the Content Itself Can Google understand content? Every keyword you type in phrase, Google has some statistics tied around it on how the word is used.
18. Quality ContentUnderstanding the Content ItselfMeasuring Quality Based on the Words Used Fixes Can Google understand Write natural content? # of Words Keyword Density Semantics Keyword Count Relationship of Words Synonyms and other Relevancy related terms Cohesiveness The only people that worry about Analyzed on an individual this the most are the sploggers, page level, or between scrapers, content spinners. linked pages. Leader in Semantic Technology Purchased by Google back in 2004. Every keyword you type in phrase, Google has some Free Content Writing Webinar on Nov 13, 2012 at 11am http://bit.ly/TDvvZX statistics tied around it on how the word is used.
19. Quality ContentManual ReviewsAlgorithm Change Manual Review If ranking goes down: If ranking goes down: It is technically not a penalty, but it It is definitely a penalty. sure feels like one. It will surely hit you once the algorithm You may not get a penalty if no one from propagates. Google finds out. What happens if you submit a spam What happens if you submit a spam report? report? I may be added in the manual Google may view it as a need to reviewers queue of sites to look at. adjust the algorithm. If you submit a reinclusion request: If you submit a reinclusion request: Since your site is not penalized in Your site is reviewed if you would now the first place, they are not pass the manual review and you took reincluding your site anywhere. But action to fix your site. they may double check if your site was falsely filtered out by an Forms: algorithm. So they may view it as a Spam Report Form need to adjust the algorithm also. Reconsideration Request Form Penguin Feedback Form Webmaster Central Forum
20. Penguin Update = Quality Links How can Google Measure Quality Links? Content quality of link source Natural Links vs. Artificial Links
21. Speed of Link Acquisition Ideally, to appear having natural link building, number of links start small and gradually increase over time.
22. Speed of Link Acquisition Ideally, to appear large Sudden burst of a number of links, having natural link especially for a new building, number of website may raise red links start small and flags as they may be gradually increase over time. as artificial perceived link building.
23. Speed of Link Acquisition Although sudden burst Sudden burst of a in links, as long as they large number of links, especially for a new is are not too excessive, website older raise red ok with may websites. flags as theywouldbe 3 My estimate may be perceived older. years and as artificial link building.
24. Speed of Link Acquisition Starting with a large Although sudden burst in links, of links may seem amount as long as they arebut iftoo rate is artificial not the excessive, iswill appear constant, this ok with natural and this should older websites. not affect ranking. Which My estimate would be is often the case with 3 years and older. breaking news reports.
25. PageRank Distribution Normally it is easier to get low PR links than high PR links. And as a site gets popular over time, the ratio of low PR and high PR links remain the same. Most links are low PR and high PR links are fewer.
26. PageRank Distribution Normally it mostly links A site with is easier to from very low PR sites get low PR links than high PR links. with a a to no PR at all And as negligible amount of site gets popular over time, PR links may low high the ratio of not look normal. PR and high PR links remain the same. Most links are low PR and high PR links are fewer.
27. PageRank Distribution A site with mostly links A site with mostly links from very lowsites with from high PR PR sites to no PR at allPR sites almost no low with a also appear as artificial negligible amount of link building. high PR links does not Remember, diversity in look normal. PageRank is good. Where generally, there are more low PR than high PR.
28. Use of Link Text The relevancy of link text to your targeted keywords is very important. However naturally people link to companies and other websites using the company name, or branded products/services than generic product names/services.
29. Use of Link Text The relevancy of link If your target keyword text to your targeted used too often as you keywordsthisvery raise link text, is may important.flags as some red However naturally people link to artificial link building. companies and other Diversify link text with websites using the long tail variations. company name, or branded products/services than generic product names/services.
30. IP Address of Link Source Backlinks although coming from the different domain names, if they come form similar IP addresses, they are all on the same server and can possibly be own by one person on a shared hosting server account.
31. IP Address of Link Source Backlinks althoughoften Going a step further, comingIP addresses Class-C from the different domain are also (aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd) names, ontheysame residing if the come server. form similar IP addresses, theyof links If a large number are all on the the same Class-C IP are on same server address, this may suggest and can possibly be artificial link building. own by one person on a shared hosting is also IP address diversity key in link building. server account.
32. Other Link Quality Factors PageRank Text Link Text Surrounding Text Title Tag Other Text Age Of Page Of Domain Of Link Site-Wide Links vs. Content Links Adjacent Links Backlinks of the Backlink (Neighborhood) TLD/ccTLD Geolocation Diversity in Website Type (blogs, forums, directories, articles, etc.)
33. Backlink Profile Limited Quantity Quality (Power) Quality (Authority & Google Webmaster Google PageRank Trust) Tools # of Backlinks of the TrustRank Bing Webmaster Tools Backlink Google Indexed Search Engine “link:” Total Backlinks of the SEOMoz Page command Domain Authority MajesticSEO Keyword Focused SEOMoz Domain OpenSiteExplorer Majestic ACRank Authority SEMRush Follow or No Follow IP Diversity aHrefs Hosting Country Anchor Text Diversity Sistrix Site Wide vs. Single Deep Linking Page Domain Age Domain Name Extensions More .gov/.edu/.orgComprehensive CEMPER ccTLD PowerTM Power*Trust CEMPER TrustTM
34. Power*Trust (Cemper, LinkResearchTools)
35. Power*Trust of Backlink Pages Backlinks Found: 30,458 # Unique Domain Live Links : 5,287
36. Power*Trust of Backlink Domain Backlinks Found: 30,458 # Unique Domain Live Links : 5,287
37. Bad & Suspicious Links
38. Bad & Suspicious Links Rule Total Percentage SUSP1 4874 41.80% Power*Trust of page = SUSP10 2647 22.70% Backlinks fromvelocity Domain link 1 Class-C 0 Domain not-70% trend> 10 IP < indexed. Not Ranking for Title Website theme is SUSP6 1587 13.60% Power*Trust of of the Power*Trust domain Past 4suspicious. same Domains have the the a Power*Trust penalized Site may be ofshows Domains under months Domain SUSP9 830 7.10% Power*Trust of Domain Domain = 0 <5 same domain IPs significant decrease in Class-C registrar. in Google. same5 < DNS IPs Malware, Malicious, <5 May be about hacking, TOX1 690 5.90% links compared to the Virusbe a penalized, or May infected website. Could be forumillegal or low pornography,alsoof Links maymayyears.be Domainsto 2 part link May be part of a 5 a past 1 be < Power*Trust quality link directory. just could be a brand Power*Trust < 5 pharmaceutical SUSP8 362 3.10% new,linksite is blocked or network. network. Usually generated by new site. distribution, inMay belink expired Possible an or by the robots.txt network, SUSP7 359 3.10% May be a penalized site automated tools or by or domain or site tag. just a noindex that meta very unpopular manually by a users has lost interest. page. SUSP4 200 1.70% spamming team. SUSP5 44 0.40% SUSP3 27 0.20% TOX2 23 0.20% SUSP2 8 0.10%
39. Bad & Suspicious LinksEvaluate, try to remove Attempt link removal. Increase links like these link if necessary.
40. Link Removal Services Matt Cutts still recommends as much as possible try to remove bad links even if the Disavow Link Tool was created. If the link really cannot be removed, then use the link disavow tool. Tip: More on Disavow Link Tool: http://bit.ly/disavowlinkstool
41. Case Study (Finance/Stocks)Organic Google 2011 Hit by Panda 1, never came back
42. Case Study (Finance/Stocks)Organic Google 2012 Majority of work: Removal of internal duplicate Became IMI content. Fix site architecture. Ran a blog. Did some Client infrographics. Promoted on Social media. Submitted Reconsideration request
43. Case Study (Home Furnishing/Decor)Organic Google 2011 Mainly hit by Minor hit in Panda Panda 2 2.4 & 2.5 flux
44. Case Study (Home Furnishing/Decor)Organic Google 2012Became IMI Majority of work: Manual rewriting of tons of page Client content and removal of duplicate content.
45. Our Biggest Challenge When Dealing with Pandaand Penguin Affected Websites Client Does not want to change anything on the site. Client tends to be spammy himself/herself and does not believe in your recommendations. A major technical issue, with lack of technical know-how or resources. Never allocated the right time and resources.
46. Panda Prevention = Penguin Prevention You know your Good natural links content is good are gained whenwhen people talk people pass yourabout it & pass it good content around. around. Prevent your site from being affected by Panda & Penguin by: (1) coming up with great content & (2) doing a social promotion.
47. Quality Content Content Layout & Site Architecture Thin Content Categorize well, consolidate similar pages, eliminate Page Consolidation duplicate content. Content Siloing Site Architecture Interesting,Informative,Link Baitable Not too deep Free Content Writing Webinar on Nov 13, 2012 at 11am http://bit.ly/TDvvZX
48. Common Link Building MethodsLink Begging / Solicitation / RequestSubmissions Directories Articles Press ReleasesContent Links Blog Postings Article Directories Blog Commenting Press ReleasesBanner Ads, Text Link AdsForum Forum Posting Forum SignaturesPublic Email GroupsSocial Media Social Networks Social Bookmaking
49. High Quality LinksHigh Quality Links Inbound Link Building Link Bait Infographic Creation Blogging Strategy Video Strategy Trust Bait Badge, Awards & Recognitions Guest Blogging Authoritative Sources Press Release & Matte Release
50. Infographic Example
51. Infographic Example
52. Blogging Strategy Link Bait Opportunities Study Current Blog Competitors Common Blog Benefits Blogging Strategies New Fresh Content Blogging Schedule Content Syndication Opportunity for deep linking to Social Promotion main website pages Many blog platforms are nearly good with less work on on-page SEO out of the box Free Content Writing Webinar on Nov 13, 2012 at 11am http://bit.ly/TDvvZX
53. Video Strategy Common Video SEO Benefits Less video ranking competition than web pages User stickiness and potential to convert well Potential for natural video sharing of users as a link building tactic. Link Bait Opportunities Study Videos of Competitors Video Strategy Social Promotion Automated Video Creation XML Feed Powered
54. Trust Bait Attracts very long term to permanent links from high trust value websites. TLDs are from .gov, .edu, .org, .mil and more. Create a high quality resource information page to divert link Your Site juice to your website.
55. Trust Bait Case StudyTrade-a-Plane.com Foundational OnPage SEO already completed Rankings improve by remain stagnant for two months with room for more opportunities. Created Trust Bait Pages Promoted them through education, government, organization channels (4/26/2012 to 5/30/2012) 10 links gained Experimental Aircraft Association Websites EAA922.org (.edu & .gov) EAA32.org (1999) ProFlyersInc.com/EAA501 (2002) ExperimentalAirplane.com (2000) Other Airplane Pilot Groups FlyingGators.com (1999, .edu & .gov) AirMailPioneers.org (1998) Educational Insitutions COA.FIT.edu (1989) UkiahAviation.com (.edu & .gov) Informational/Resource Pages CrashSiteOrkney.com AirCrashSites-Scotland.co.uk
56. Trust Bait Case StudyTrade-a-Plane.com Foundational OnPage SEO already completed Rankings improve by remain stagnant for two months with room for more opportunities. Created Trust Bait Pages Promoted them through education, government, organization channels (4/26/2012 to 5/30/2012) 10 links gained Experimental Aircraft Association Websites EAA922.org (.edu & .gov) EAA32.org (1999) ProFlyersInc.com/EAA501 (2002) ExperimentalAirplane.com (2000) Other Airplane Pilot Groups FlyingGators.com (1999, .edu & .gov) AirMailPioneers.org (1998) Educational Insitutions COA.FIT.edu (1989) UkiahAviation.com (.edu & .gov) Informational/Resource Pages CrashSiteOrkney.com AirCrashSites-Scotland.co.uk
57. Press Release & Mat Release Press Release Optimize and identify opportunities for PR topics. PR: It is up to the news publishers to syndicate your press release or not. Mat Release Guaranteed News Article Distribution
58. The Battle Against Penguin & PandasGetting Back Ranking and Running Future Proof SEO Strategies Download Presentation Now http://bit.ly/omspandapenguin Thanks! Any Questions?