1. How to Improve your Business Reputation on Yelp Contact us: Steven@BeachheadMarketing.com
2. About Beachhead• Beachhead is a marketing agency in San Diego, CA• We help clients looking to explode their revenues without blowing their budget• Click here for a Free Consultation
3. What We’ll Cover• What is a Yelp?• Who Yelps?• Businesses on Yelp• Typical Complaints About Yelp• Where Yelp is Going• Case Study: Improving Rankings from #35 to #7• Improve Your Rankings in an Hour a day
4. WHAT IS A YELP?
5. Founded in 2005, Yelp was a website where consumers offeredand looked for reviews of restaurants before eating there.
6. Yelp Categories, 2011 Auto 3% Other Travel and Hotel 4% 8% Health Restaurants 5% 29% Nightlife 4% Home and Local Services 7% Arts Entertainment and Beauty and Shopping Events Fitness 23% 8% 9%Today, Yelp covers a broader range ofbusinesses, including shopping, beauty andfitness, home and local services, and travel.
7. Some of the topsearches:#10: Best Breakfast#42: Dental#53: Oil Change#63: Home Goods#73: Steak#84: Dog Grooming
10. Generally, Yelpers are highlyeducated, upper middle class, and raciallydiverse.
11. To put it differently… Yelpers are like Chewbacca: • Loyal • Loud • They can decapitate your business
12. And they love their crowd
13. Every ten seconds: One Yelper Calls a Business Fifteen Yelpers request directions
14. Every ten seconds: One Yelper Calls a Business Fifteen Yelpers request directions… Just from mobile apps
15. BUSINESSES ON YELP
16. 85,000 in San Diego
17. Restaurants are still the biggest category.So Slater’s 50/50 in Point Loma uses Yelp
18. Yelpers depend on Yelp forfirst time purchases likewedding dresses.
19. Yelpers love to find local retailers, like bike shops, using Yelp
20. From a business owner’s perspectiveTYPICAL COMPLAINTSABOUT YELP
21. “I just found my Yelp profile and one reviewwith one star. I want to delete my page.”
22. “I just found my Yelp profile and one review with one star. I want to delete my page.”Unfortunately, Yel "We dont remove business listings,p will not remove so your best bet is to engage with your fans and critics alike, and hearyour page, no what they have to say."matter how nicelyyou ask, so thebest thing youcan do is engagethe reviewers.
23. Yelp Ratings Distribution: 67% Above average 1 Star 11% 2 Stars 8% 5 Stars Yelpers are 38% generous, and they3 Stars assume their favorite 14% businesses are also the best. Hang in there, and 4 Stars eventually you should 29% receive happier customers.
24. “But its clearly a false review, can Idelete the review?
25. You Can’t. “But its clearly a false review, can I delete the review?
26. You Can’t.But you can try flagging it. “But its clearly a false review, can I delete the review?
27. “All my good reviewsare filtered”
28. Company Current True Rating Rating
29. Company Current True Rating Rating 2.0 3.7 3.8 2.7 2.0
30. Company Current True Rating Rating 2.0 3.6 3.7 4.2 3.8 4.4 2.7 3.8 2.0 3.5
31. Average Increase: 40 Percent 2.8 Stars  3.9 Stars
32. “I don’t show for mycategory” “Domestic Shipping”
34. Where Yelp is going• Desktop  Mobile – Keywords, not categories – Less research, more decision – Rankings, not just ratings
35. Yelp used to be just about ratings. Top rated places won.
36. This led to ahigher rankingin Google andmore traffic.
37. But now Yelp sees more searches fromtheir mobile apps.
38. So now a Yelperwith the new iPhonemight ask: “Siri, I need a place that sells ravioli nearby”
39. And Siri’s results “I found a number ofwill come directly restaurants whosefrom reviews mentionYelp, bypassingGoogle. Ravioli fairly close to you” “Siri, I need a place that sells ravioli nearby”
40. So now Yelp showsless of the toprating, and more oftheir “Best Match”result.
41. Here, for example,Yelp shows arestaurant with just 20reviews at #1
42. While #5 has 587 reviews and ahigher overall rating. However, thetop review has a higher density ofmatches for the keyword “vermicelli”.
43. Where Yelp is going• Desktop  Mobile – Keywords, not categories – Less research, more decision – Rankings, not just ratings
44. Nam An Vietnamese RestaurantA CASE STUDY
45. Nam An VietnameseRestaurantNam An opened in thesummer of 2011 andhas 41 reviews, mostlygood ones. We wantedto see how a wellwritten review wouldaffect their rankings.
46. Methodology• Researched and selected three keywords – Vermicelli rice with egg rolls – Vietnamese Iced Coffee – Free Appetizers• Measure rankings before and after• Focus only on writing reviews with the right keyword mix
50. Case Study Takeaways• Keywords are crucial• Results occur quickly• Improved average ranking from #36 to #7.
51. HOW TO IMPROVE YOURRESULTS IN AN HOUR A DAY
52. Day One: Claim Your Profile
53. Day One: Claim Your Profile
54. Day One: Claim Your Profile
55. Day TwoBaseline results:What are your customersalready searching for?How many page views haveyou had in the last year?
56. Day 3-4:How do you want yourcustomers to find you onYelp?
57. Day 3-4:How do you want yourcustomers to find you onYelp? #17,599: Korean Tacos #35: Korean BBQ  Better choice
58. Day Five:
59. Day Five:
60. Day 6-10:• Contact Negative Reviewers
61. Day 6-10:
62. Day 6-10:
63. Day 11-15:• Unfilter your great reviews24 Filtered Reviews  23 Filtered Reviews
64. Day 11-15:• Unfilter your great reviews – Respond – Friend – Compliment24 Filtered Reviews  23 Filtered Reviews
65. Day 16-20:• Respond to every new review
67. Day 16-20:• Respond to every new review – Compliment – Send a message or follow
68. Day 21-30: Encourage better reviewsAssess your offerings and thepopular Yelp searches
69. Day 21-30: Encourage better reviewsAssess your offerings and thepopular Yelp searches
70. Day 21-30: Encourage better reviewsIf you offer a white chocolatemocha on your menu, and it’sone of your better items, youshould encourage moreYelpers to mention it in theirreviews.
71. Day 21-30: Encourage better reviews
72. Day 21-30: Encourage better reviews To encourage more Yelp reviews of your drink, you you might try a coupon, you can offer deals on Yelp for the white chocolate mocha, or you can ask customers to try it and Yelp about it.
73. In Conclusion• Yelp affects all local businesses• Own your profile or it will own you• Rankings, not ratings• Were seeing fast results with targeted reviews