World Cup Qualification Prediction - How it works
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×
 

Like this? Share it with your network

Share

World Cup Qualification Prediction - How it works

on

  • 3,830 views

Those slides describe how the probabilistic computations are handle in the application http://worldcup.bayesialab.com. This application computes the Stage 2 qualification probability of any team of ...

Those slides describe how the probabilistic computations are handle in the application http://worldcup.bayesialab.com. This application computes the Stage 2 qualification probability of any team of any Group of the next FIFA World Cup. Based on the user input (with probability distributions on the Group matches' result: win, draw, and loss), a Bayesian Network is used to rigorously compute the qualification probabilities.

Statistics

Views

Total Views
3,830
Views on SlideShare
1,470
Embed Views
2,360

Actions

Likes
0
Downloads
36
Comments
0

11 Embeds 2,360

http://worldcup.bayesialab.com 1391
http://www.tecnoetica.it 453
http://www.bayesia.com 444
http://www.slideshare.net 32
http://worldcup.bayesialab.com. 15
http://static.slidesharecdn.com 13
http://translate.googleusercontent.com 6
http://www.bayesia.fr 2
http://bayesia.com 2
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com 1
http://www.google.it 1
More...

Accessibility

Categories

Upload Details

Uploaded via as Adobe PDF

Usage Rights

© All Rights Reserved

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
Post Comment
Edit your comment

World Cup Qualification Prediction - How it works Presentation Transcript

  • 1. How it Works? A Probabilistic Expert System based on a Bayesian Belief Network
  • 2. Bayesian Belief Networks are made of Two Distinct parts Structure Directed Acyclic Graph Nodes represent the variables of the studied domain (e.g.: URU-FRA to model the Match Uruguay versus France) Each node has exclusive states (e.g.: FRA, Draw, URU) Arcs represent the direct probabilistic influences between the variables (possibly causal), e.g.: the results of the matches implying France have a direct impact on the final number of points of France Parameters Probability distributions are associated to each node, usually by using tables CONDITIONAL PROBABILITY DISTRIBUTION Here, for a France’s defeat MARGINAL PROBABILITY The result of the first match has an impact on the against Uruguay, we set a 45% DISTRIBUTION team’s spirit and then on the probability chance that France wins the We here consider that Uruguay has a 15% chance distribution of the second match second match vs Mexico, 40% to win the match against France, 60% that it will for a draw, and 15% for a be a draw, and 25% that France will win it defeat. On the other hand, if France wins, we set a 85% chance for a win in the second match, 10% for a draw, and 5% for a defeat
  • 3. Bayesian Belief Networks are Powerful Inference Engines We exploit all the information available on a subset of variables for updating, in a rigorous way, the probability distribution of the other variables All kinds of inference are allowed: Simulation: from “causes” toward “effects” “What are the consequences on the Qualification probability for Stage 2 when the team loses its first match?” Diagnosis: from “effects” toward “causes” “When a team is qualified for Stage 2, what is the probability that this team has lost its first match?” All the combinations of those two kinds of inference: “When a team is qualified for Stage 2, with a draw during its first match, what is the probability that this team has won its second match?”
  • 4. The Bayesian Network used for the Application
  • 5. The structure: 3 layers The 6 matches of Group A The points for each team The qualification for each team
  • 6. The Parameters Marginal probability distribution defined as Equiprobable. The user will define his/her own distribution by using the web application’s sliders, for describing his/her own knowledge/belief Deterministic relation between the 3 matches and the total number of points for Stage 1 A probabilistic equation describes the different qualification scenarios
  • 7. Probabilistic Computation: Simulation “What are the consequences on the Qualification probability for Stage 2 when the team loses its first match?” Initially, without modifying the equiprobable distribution on the matches’ results, the Qualification probability is 50% If Uruguay loses the first match, the Qualification probability falls from 50% to 23.59% (without any information on the other matches’ results)
  • 8. Probabilistic Computation: Diagnosis “When a team is qualified for Stage 2, what is the probability that this team has lost its first match?” Given that France is qualified for Stage 2 ..... ... there is a 15.73% chance that France has lost the first match
  • 9. Probabilistic Computation “When a team is qualified for Stage 2, with a draw during its first match, what is the probability that this team has won its second match?” Given that France made a draw during the first match .... ... and France is qualified for Stage 2 ..... ... there is then a 58.49% chance that France won the second match
  • 10. Probabilistic Computation “Is it possible to be qualified for Stage 2 with 2 points only?” Given that South Africa gets 2 points only .... ... there is still a 1.23% chance that South Africa is qualified
  • 11. We wish you pleasant simulations ... and a great World Cup http://worldcup.bayesialab.com
  • 12. Contact 6 rue Léonard de Vinci BP0119 53001 LAVAL Cedex FRANCE Dr. Lionel JOUFFE President / CEO Tel.: +33(0)243 49 75 58 Skype: +33(0)970 46 42 68 Mobile: +33(0)607 25 70 05 Fax: +33(0)243 49 75 83