• Workaholism rolls down hill...Slow down and go the fuck home.Till you do, they wont.
• The beatings will continue untilmoral improves…Come on, you know this aint true...your people need to know that theyhave your support.When people tell you they needhelp, trust them.
• Do you want me to solve the problemor communicate with you about allthese things: how we think we mightapproach solving the problem, howpeople will react if we dont solvethe problem, finding alternatives tothe problem, creating alternativesolutions out of thin air at amoments notice?
• Communication is a two way street.If you ask for updates, be availableto take them and discuss them.
• Dont second guess till youve heardeverything
– Ill tell the emperor that he/she is bucknaked.
• If you dont have a better idea orsolution to the problem,dont second guess mine.
• Telling your people that "this isvery serious", "I have some seriousconcerns", that "this problem hasbeen elevated to the upper echelons"does no good in the long term. Itmay get your battle won, but you arelosing your soldiers and yourwar. You can only go to that well afew times before you are shot byfriendly fire.
• Till you can reliably measurework, in a way the the measurementdoesnt get in the way of the actualwork, any project will take at least3 times as long as you think it willand cost at a minimum 1.5 times asmuch as you think it will.
• C-level executives observing aproblem creates more problems.If you dont understand the problemor dont have a solution,get out of sight and out of the way.
• Tell your people that you supportthem and that youll get themanything they need to get the jobdone.