On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
MGMT – Time to Pretend
• The song is consistently illustrating the
use of drugs within the lifestyle of a rock
star. This is evident as the lyrics “shoot
some heroin” mention the drug.
• Furthermore a religious aspect to such
use of drugs is introduced through the
use of movie clips within the MGMT
music video as the star persona’s are
receiving the drug in the same way as
the Holy Communion.
• I believe this is significant as drugs are
illustrated as a symbol of god and
something to be treasured.
• However the abuse of the drugs is
depicted within the lyrics “We’ll choke on
our vomit”. This illustrates the
consequence of not only the use of
drugs but also the outcome of the rock
• The song depicts the life stage transition
from a child to an adult as a horrendous
change. This is due to the realities of
adulthood, the responsibility an adult has to
• However the lyrics suggest that
‘pretending’ to be a child is most efficient
way to stay happy (This can be linked to Playing in the sand – a habit of
• This point of view is further enforced as the
lyrics “I’ll miss the playgrounds… and
digging up worms”. These are typical
habits of childhood as fun is the only thing
on the agenda for a child.
• Moreover the lyrics “I’ll miss the comfort of
my mother” depict the relaxed lifestyle we
all had as children while also expressing
Pretending to ignore the realities of
that the things we had taken for granted as childhood. This screen represents
a child is only a privilege we receive once childhood through the playful body
language yet it also illustrates
in our lives. adulthood through the flames in the
background. This can be interpreted
as adulthood being a heavy burden
while childhood is freedom.
• This music video is a mixture of Narrative based and
Concept based. This is to help the views view the reality
of the so called Rock Star Lifestyle, which is further
enforced by the lyrics “Live fast and die young”. These
lyrics show that life may not be so great, thus the only
thing we can do is ‘Pretend’ (which can also be linked to
the title “Time to Pretend”.
• The record company sold this product using the different,
effects, visual and motifs within the music video. This
attracted the society at the time due to the unique and
originality of the music video.
• The music video illustrates the stereotypical
video of power, wealth and success within
society of the modern age. However it
exemplifies how real wealth can only be found
within simple things such as Family, Food,
Water and Friends.
• Thus, we believe it depicts the illusion of the
rock star lifestyle as the chorus repeats “We
were fated to pretend.” which confirms our
• The music video refers to bands such as
‘Nickleback’ which promote the “Rock star”
Linkin Park - Numb
• A lot of religious connotations are
present within the music video, this is
apparent as the main character
(women) is constantly trying to be
like Mary. “To walk in your shoes”, Lady Mary
this view is enforced as the music
band are playing within a church
• The quote also empathises the life
that her mother wants her daughter
to have. which is reflected within the
clips of her mother scolding her, this
suggest that she is not on her proper
• This is then further enforced as the The Band with the Church
band is playing music within the
church. This could signify a point to
which the woman must return to as
we see within the ending of the
music video, the woman running
back to the church.
Girl running back in the
• The main theme present within the music video is of oppression and
depression as the star persona is unable to do anything. However
“To be more like me and less like you” illustrates her wants of
rebellion as she wants to be an individual with own rules and paths
rather than be guided by others. while this lyric can also illustrate
how she is not what she is supposed to be.
• Building upon that, “I’ve become so numb” is repeated constantly to
portray her division from everything and everyone around her.
Its Says Numb On Her Left Arm which Her being scolded by her Mother
depicts her loss of feelings and
• In conclusion, the music videos Time to pretend
and Numb are both performance and narrative
based as they both touch upon different views
and problems within society.
• Time to Pretend illustrates the life of a rock star
in a different light rather than the a glamorous
• While numb is about following your own path
and creating your own distinctive individuality
rather than staying in the shadow of someone