On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
A Durable Space from April 23 NISO Virtual Conference: Dealing with the Data DelugePresentation Transcript
A Durable Space
Technologies for Accessing our Collective Digital Heritage
Fedora Product Manager!
A place for my stuff
• What is a repository?!
• A repository provides long-term storage and
preservation of digital content!
• It also provides long-term access in the form of
The repository landscape
• Many repository software packages are
designed to support institutional
• Examples include: DSpace, EPrints, and Digital
• These solutions tend to be easy to setup and
manage but offer limited customization
What is Fedora?
• Flexible Extensible Durable Object Repository
• Fedora is OPEN SOURCE digital repository software!
• It is developed, adopted, and supported
• We’re building Fedora 4!
• The entire codebase has been re-written to support
the needs for robust and full-featured repository
services for the next decade
Fedora integrates with other
• Fedora typically sits between a back-end
ﬁle system and a front-end user interface!
• A wide variety of back-end ﬁle systems are
• Popular front-end user interfaces include Hydra
How big is the community?
• There are over 320 Fedora installations
(that we know of!)!
• Our community is growing:!
• 41 Fedora sponsors!
• 19 active developers!
• 17 leadership group members!
• 10 steering group members
• We are an independent 501(c)(3) non-proﬁt!
• We provide leadership and support for:!
• Fedora Commons!
• We also provide software services!!
Sources of funding
Sponsorship in on the rise!
2011 2012 2013 2014
Building toward sustainability
• We’re broadening the funding base!
• More sponsors at lower funding amounts!
• Raising the overall level of funding!
• We’re hiring!!
• Speciﬁcally, I was hired as the Product Manager!
• Andrew Woods is the Tech Lead!
• We’ve established a governance model!
• Fedora is governed by a Leadership group and a
How does Fedora
support research data?
Model your data however
• Research data can take many forms!
• Fedora is ﬂexible enough to store and preserve
any ﬁle type!
• Your data may also be inter-related in
• No problem! Fedora provides native RDF
support so you can relate things however you
Publication 1 Publication 2
Publication 1 Publication 2
Research Data 1
Research Data 2 Research Data 3
Store and manage large ﬁles
• Research data comes in all shapes and
• Huge datasets in spreadsheets!
• High resolution images!
• High-quality audio/video recordings!
• Fortunately, Fedora supports ﬁles of
virtually any size
Manage external ﬁles
• Your research data may be stored in an
external ﬁle system!
• Fedora can project over these ﬁles and treat them
as if they were in the repository!
• Fedora’s management and preservation features
will be available to these ﬁles
Preserve your data
• Fedora provides a variety of
• Automated ﬁxity checking (checksums)!
• Backup and restore of the entire repository!
• You can also create new versions every
time you make a change:!
• Across the repository!
• Only for certain actions
Research data use cases
• Repository managers need to upload
publications and associated research
• Publications and research data ﬁles can uploaded
with associated metadata!
• Each ﬁle can be associated with any number of
other ﬁles in the repository
Associating research data
• SIdora is designed to support the
research process from beginning to end!
• Researchers upload ﬁles to the repository and use
it directly in their analysis!
• The entire research process is documented and
preserved alongside the ﬁnished publication