Applying learning analytics to simplify serious games deployment in the classroom
Applying learning analytics to simplify
serious games deployment in the classroom
EDUCOM 2014 Conference, Instambul
Baltasar Fernandez-Manjon, firstname.lastname@example.org , @BaltaFM
e-UCM research group, www.e-ucm.es
Serious Games use?
‣ Serious Games have probed to be educationally
effective in several domains
• Medicine, military, business, corporate training
‣ But still is a low adoption of Serious Games
‣ Difficult to include Serious Games in the learning
• Assessment of acquired learning?
‣ Difficult to deploy the games in the classroom
• What are the students actually doing?
• What are they learning?
• What are the difficulties are they confronting?
SG deploymen:Black box model
‣ Games as “isolated”
pieces of content
‣ No information about
what is happening
during the in-game
‣ Or very simple
• Completed or not
• Time used
del Blanco et al (2013). Using e-Learning standards in educational video games.
Computer Standards & Interfaces 36 (1) pp. 178–187
‣ Improving education based on data analysis
• Evidence based education
‣ Many options
• When the data is analyzed?
- off-line vs real-time
• What data is analyzed?
- log records, interactions, biometric data …
• What amount of data and on how many users?
- Intensive vs extensive
‣ Can learning analytics help to deploy serious games
as effective learning content in the classroom?
‣ GLEANER: Game Learning Analytics for education
• Open code framework to capture game traces
Reference model in the EU NoE GALA
Available as open code at http://e-ucm.github.io/gleaner/
Lost in XML Space
About the XML game...
‣ A single user platform game to learn about XML
• Learn the syntax and basic concepts (document
• Gain agility writing and reading XML documents
‣ Designed as a complementary activity in a Web
‣ Experiment: Gamified experience in the classroom
• First to complete the game
• Maximum points in the game
• Initially students were not informed that LA was in place
After some playing time LA data was showed to the
Understanding the game…
snippets here to
move the main
character to the
Main dashboard (GLEANER Report)
highlighted in real
The fragments are updated in real time
as submitted by the student. The
instructor can filter to see only mistakes,
or all the fragments submitted by a
‣ LA simplify SG deployment in the classroom
‣ Instructor knows what is happening in the class
‣ Behaviour change when students know that LA was
• More oriented to success and less exploration or
• Open issues in LA
• How to distinguish automatically game exploration from
• Long term learning across
• Students love the experience!