Transcript of "Laim Woulfe responder the challenge put to us at today's conference powerpoint"
The Future of Rural Areas to 2031
Energy Presentation Response
Responder: Liam Woulfe
The Challenge put to us at today’s
From Energy prospective 2031:
What will the Market Landscape be like?
What will it mean for:
Particularly in the Ballyhoura area
• Cathal’s Presentation was very thought
provoking and could have good potential in
my view if our national enablers were aligned.
• As I see it without a clearly joined up roadmap
the opportunities will be lost.
• So in my view we need to set out a clear
framework to facilitate the ideas of Cathal and
Energy Challenge Ireland
We have to deal with / take opportunity from:
• Kyoto/EU Commitments
• Fossil Fuels availability/price
• Peat availability in Ireland
• Cost of Carbon
• Little or no state Financial Resources to intervene over the next 10 years
• The Imperative is to capture Ireland’s Competitive Advantage in Energy
The Possible Solutions
• Continuous back up Fossil Fuel - Oil, Coal & Gas
• Wind – onshore, offshore
• Renewable Biomass
• Anaerobic Digestive (A D)
• Irish Unique National Resources
• Obstacles to progress
• Return on Investments
How to Capture Ireland’s Energy
• Create a picture of the full potential of each source of energy
• The creation of these pictures should be unhindered by National or Local
political wishes or local sentiment.
How – To maximise Irish energy
• Measure the cost/benefit of capturing each opportunity by section
• List the obstacles to capture each possibility
• Put in place the Enablers
• Get agreement on the competitive advantages
• Adopt National Energy Strategy From:
- Government to buy in and all National Strategic partners
• Set up an “NRA” type structure
How might this work?
• It must be charged with the facilitation and development of each of the
target initiatives by sector
• It should be the Superior Authority and thus be empowered to ensure
that all obstacles e.g. planning, pricing, grid access and all vested interests
are dealt with in an efficient and expedient way to ensure our market
expansion highway is effective and not allow progress to be held up by
very small minorities.
• With an assured delivery “Highway” and an assurance of a return on
investment of 10% + - Investment will follow
• Ireland to become a major exporter of energy
• Creation of a major “bank” of skills and service personnel
• The creation of many jobs to services this sector.
What will it do for Ballyhoura area?
• Tap Ballyhoura’s National Resources
• Create potential energy feedstock for the major local industries as well as
supporting the competence of the local primary Agricultural capability.
• Once again pride will be restored to all communities by everybody playing
a role in creating something out of the Natural Resources around them.
• There will be a real investment / job opportunities to support the process
and this ongoing servicing of same.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.