Google’s revenue sources
Google’s profit comes from:
Corporate Spend: PPC versus SEO
UK Search Marketing spend
So why so much emphasis on PPC?
SEO Long-Term Results
PPC Instant Results
PPC is the most accountable of all online marketing disciplines.
Every penny spent can be tracked and its ROI calculated.
The pressure is mounting...
Someone specifically looking
for GoCompare’s website will
first see an AdWords Ad, then
an ad for Google’s own
insurance comparison service...
AdWords is about three things:
Find the right keywords to advertise
Create the right ad to get users to
Build a landing page that converts
those clicks in to customers.
Make sure your keywords,
ad text, and landing page all
expectations of users who
type in a certain query, and
match & exceed those
expectations in your ad text
and your landing page.
Don’t disappoint your users
or the click will go to waste.
Start with matching your goal to user intent
• What are you trying to make your website visitors do?
• What keywords would these visitors type in Google?
Understand the three types of search query:
• Informational – learning stuff
• Navigational – finding stuff
• Transactional – buying stuff
Google AdWords Keyword Planner
Effective Ad Groups
• Keep your keywords focused per ad group:
• Too much keyword variation in one ad group makes it hard to match
your keywords to your ads and your landing page
Good ad group:
safety boots uk
buy safety boots
cheap safety boots
best safety boots
Bad ad group:
rubber sole boots
Creating Great Ads
• Include the keyword often
• ISP: Impact Selling Points
Dynamic Keyword Insertion
Insert the searcher’s actual query
in to your AdWords Ad:
If the keyword is too long & breaks
the character limit, the fallback
keyword is used instead.
Test, Test, Test
• 2-3 ads per ad group minimum
• Select a winning ad, use it for further tests
• Test different CTAs, URLs, ISPs, etc..
• Never stop testing.
Elements of a Great Landing Page
• Repeat the keyword to make sure visitors know they’re in the
• Emphasise your ISPs
• Strong calls-to-action
Make your forms as simple as possible
Instil a sense of urgency
• Use trust signals (security icons, payment providers)
& social proof (testimonials, reviews)
• Your keyword’s quality score (1-10) influences how much you need
to pay to get a high positioning
• Quality Score is determined by the following factors:
Your account’s historical CTR
How well the keyword matches your ad & landing page
• So it’s a matter of relevance:
Keywords Ads Landing Pages
AdWords Quality Score
Connect The dots
Measure & improve your campaigns: