2. Reinforcing Brands Use marketing actions that consistently convey the meaning of the brand to consumers in terms of awareness and image Fortify the brand by raising awareness and building favorable associations - sponsorships, product placements
3. Brand Concept Management Functional benefits - solve consumer related problems Symbolic benefits - needs for social approval or personal expression; “badge brands” Experiential benefits - sensory pleasure, variety
6. Revitalizing Brands Recapturing lost sources of equity Returning to values of original brand Repositioning Expanding awareness and image
7. Comeback Stories RCA - went from obsolete TV image to Satellite System with DirecTV; new campaign with “Chipper” dog logo Hush Puppies - suede shoes image changed with new designs, ad campaign and Forrest Gump placement Adidas - After losing to Nike and Reebok, targeted young urbans, Rappers and Kobe to make 3 stripes cool again
8. Expanding the Breadth of Brand Awareness Finding new uses for the brand with TOM awareness (Cheeze Whiz recipes, Folgers coffee singles) Reminding consumers to replace products with short lifespan (Oral-B) Providing innovative package design (MentaDent)
9. Improving Brand Image Repositioning with points of difference or points of parity Changing brand elements (KFC) Entering new markets (Frosted Flakes) Targeting new segments (Brylcreen Power Gel)
10. Adjustments to Brand Portfolio• Migration strategies (Dockers) Acquire new customers (VW) New distribution outlets (Kmart; Internet sales) Line extension or sub brands (TJs) IMC campaigns for each segment (Dewars Profiles) Retiring obsolete brands/products
11. Maintaining Equity at the Movies How can Disney maintain brand equity for the film Bambi over the years? How does Disney expand brand equity through film production? Are there any sub-brands that Disney should consider retiring?
12. Managing Nivea’s Brand Portfolio What is the US image of Nivea? How did Nivea create a POD through associations of ‘mildness and gentleness” to the brand as a whole? To sub-brands? What role did the Blue Harmony ad campaign play in positioning the brand? What should be the next step for Nivea?