2. INTRODUCTIONKnowledge Engineering is a process of eliciting, structuring,formalizing, operationalizing information and knowledgeinvolved in knowledge-intensive problem domain, in order toconstruct a program that can perform a difficult taskadequately.
3. Problems in knowledgeengineering complex information and knowledge is difficult to observe experts and other sources differ multiple representations: Textbooks Graphical representations Heuristics Skills
4. Knowledge engineeringData base system and Knowledge base system share manycommon principles.Data and knowledge engineering stimulates the exchange ofideas and interaction between these two related fields ofinterests.DKE reaches a world wide audience of researchers, designers,managers and users.
5. Cont…….. The major aim of the journal is to identify, investigate and analyze the underlying the principles in the design and effective use of these systems. DKE achieves this aim by publishing original research results, technical advance and news items concerning data engineering, Knowledge engineering, and the interface of these fields.
6. DKE covers the followingtopicsRepresentation and manipulation of data and Knowledge.Architectures of database, expert, or Knowledge-based system.Construction of data/Knowledge base.Applications, case studies, and management issues.Communication aspects involved in implementing, designingand using KBSs in Cyberspace.
7. Theory of computation Computations are designed for processing information. The study of computation aims at providing an insight into the characteristics of computations. The study of computation reveals that there are problems that cannot be resolved. And of the problems that can be solved, there are some that require infeasible amount of resources.
8. Emerging interest are in thetheory of Computation theory Biological computation and computational biology Computational complexity Computer theorem-proving Concurrent and distributed process theory Cryptographic theory Data base theory Decision problems in logic
9. Cont….. Design and analysis of algorithms Discrete optimization and mathematical programming Inductive inference and learning Program verification Probabilistic computation Semantics of programming language Symbolic computation, Lambda calculus and rewriting systems
10. DATA STRUCTURING Data structuring and algorithms are the basic elements from which large and complex software artifacts are built. To develop a solid understanding of a data structure requires three things: You must learn how the information in arranged in the memory of the computer. You must become the familiar with the algorithms for manipulating the information contained in the data structure. You must understand the performance characteristics of the data structure so that when called upon to select a suitable data structure for a particular application, you are able to make an appropriate decision.
11. Cont…….. Data structures can be expressed in terms of the object oriented design patterns and algorithms Java programming language. With the ever increasing influence of the Word Wide Web (WWW) and the internet, the importance of data structure design principles has actually increased.