Disclaimer: This presentation is prepared by trainees ofbaabtra as a part of mentoring program. This is not officialdocument of baabtra –Mentoring PartnerBaabtra-Mentoring Partner is the mentoring division of baabte System Technologies Pvt .Ltd
CRYSTAL REPORTARJUN S RArjun.firstname.lastname@example.org/arjun.aryavarthamtwitter.com/arjun.sr007in.linkedin.com/in/arjun.sr0079745649882
TRDITIONAL REPORTINGCURRENT REPORTS…•Are generated manually•Are distributed via email•Only provide “one view” and arestatic•Contain outdated informationBUSINESS IMPACT•Report backlog delays decisionmaking•Sensitive information may leak tounintended audiences•Lack of interactivity makesanswering questions challenging•IT staff is overwhelmed withrequests for updated reports
IMPLICATIONSYou spend moretime workingYou need morepeople to run anddistribute reportsYou face increasing ITcosts
• Crystal reports is the reporting tool of visual studio, an OEM (OriginalEquipment Manufacturer) of business objects.• Crystal Reports has been part of Visual Studio since 1993, and is now thestandard for reporting in Visual Studio . It ships with every copy of VisualStudio and is integrated directly into the development environment.• Ability to create interactive, presentation-quality content to the windowsenvironment.• Create complex and professional reports in a GUI-based program• You can host your report in either a Web or Windows application• You can connect your report to almost any database source, as well as toproxy data, such as a result set (for example, an ADO.NET Dataset). Withthe wizards included in the GUI designer, you can easily set formatting,grouping, charting, and other criteria.
• Your reports can be related to your Visual Studio 2005 project in manyways:Embed your reports directly into the project.Access them externally, from a file directory.Access them as a Report Web Service from a remote server.• An embedded Crystal Reports designer, assisted by wizards and experts,builds complex report files easily• A Crystal Reports SDK interacts with and modifies reportsprogrammatically. Use one of four different object models, each withincreasing levels of complexity and power• An exporting feature exports data from the Crystal Report Viewer controlto Word, Excel, PDF, and HTML, and Crystal Reports formats.• The ability to print from the Crystal Report Viewer control enables page-based report printing from any Web or Windows application.
• Multilingual client support allows you to configure theCrystalReportViewer control so that other languages can be displayed inthe Tool Tips, determined by the client browser, the ASPX page, or theenvironment settings for the machine• Report Web Services, from an ASP.NET Web Service project, allow you tocreate a project, add a Crystal Report, and publish it as a Web service• Crystal Reports for Visual Studio can access and report off the followingdata sources:-Any database with an ODBC driver-Any database with an OLEDB Provider-Microsoft Access databases-Microsoft Excel workbooks-ADO.NET datasets-ADO.NET datatables-RDO recordsets-XML Data in SQL Server 2005-User Defined Types (UDT) in SQL Server 2005 etc,.
PROVIDER CONTROLSThere are two provided controlsThe CrystalReportViewer controlThis control displays the report in a page-based layout, with the ability tomove between pages.The CrystalReportPartsViewer controlThe control displays report summary information in a small, portal-likewindow, with the ability to drill down deeper into the report through aseries of linked parts.
CrystalReportViewer control Export button formats• Adobe Acrobat (.pdf)• Crystal Reports (.rpt)• Microsoft Excel (.xls)• Microsoft Rich Text (.rtf)• Microsoft Word (.doc)OBJECT MODELS-CrystalReportViewer- ReportDocument- ReportClientDocument- InfoObject
• CrystalReportViewer, the simplest object model. The classes of thisobject model are contained within the CrystalDecisions.Web namespacefor the Web Form version of this control orCrystalDecisions.Windows.Forms namespace for the Windows Formversion of this control• ReportDocument, the more extensive object model. The classes of thisobject model contained within theCrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine namespace. This is anextensive set of classes that provide more powerful customization andinteraction capability with the report• ReportClientDocument, the most extensive object model. The classes of thisobject model are contained within the CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer groupof namespaces.• InfoObject, a powerful object model for scheduling and configuring reports withinthe Crystal Reports Server or BusinessObjects Enterprise framework. The classes ofthis object model are contained within the CrystalDecisions.Enterprise group ofnamespaces.
REPORTING TYPES-There may be mainly of two types of reporting methods that can be used toimplemented with in the visual studio.1.Push method.-using the concept of data set. helps in disconnected environments.2.Pull method.-Using direct data base access method. This is a connected environmentmethod.
REPORT GENERATING STEPS (PULL METHODE)1. From your desktop, go to Start, Programs, Crystal Reports 11. You mayalso have an icon on your desktop you can double-click to launch theprogram.2. In the Getting Started frame, click Blank Report. The Database Expertscreen appears.
3. Click the plus beside Create New Connection to expand the tree view.4. Click the plus beside Database Files. The Open screen appears so youcan find your Raiser’s Edge database file.5. Highlight the .mdb file you need, and click Open. You return to theDatabase Expert screen. Notice all your database fields are listed in thetree view.
6. Highlight the path to your .mdb file in the Available Data Sources box.7. To move all of the fields in the .mdb file to the Selected Tables box, clickthe right double arrow button.The fields appear in the box to indicatethey have been included for your Crystal report.
8. Click OK. The Visual Linking Expert on the Links tab appears.9. Click10. To display the Field Explorer frame, select View, Field Explorer from themenu bar. The frame appears on the right side of the screen.
11. This frame contains all the fields you exported from The Raiser’s Edge.You will use these fields to build your report.
If this presentation helped you, please visit ourpage facebook.com/baabtra and like it.Thanks in advance.www.baabtra.com | www.massbaab.com |www.baabte.com
Contact UsEmarald Mall (Big Bazar Building)Mavoor Road, Kozhikode,Kerala, India.Ph: + 91 – 495 40 25 550NC Complex, Near Bus StandMukkam, Kozhikode,Kerala, India.Ph: + 91 – 495 40 25 550Start up VillageEranakulam,Kerala, India.Email: email@example.com