BSI Data Protection Online
Achieve good corporate governance with BS 10012 www.bsigroup.com/DPOnline
raising standards worldwide ™
BSI Data Protection Online
Achieve good corporate governance with BS 10012
“…Information can have great value as an organizational asset
but can be a toxic liability if not handled properly…”
UK Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) Annual Report 2007/08
Data protection legislation is becoming increasingly influential in organizations,
but do you really know how it affects your day-to-day business?
Research conducted by BSI* suggests that almost one in five organizations has unwittingly breached
data protection legislation, with 15% not confident that their data sharing practices conform to
British Standard BS 10012:2009 Data protection. Specification for a personal information
management system provides a framework which will enable effective management of personal
information, so you can establish an infrastructure for maintaining and improving compliance with
data protection legislation.
Putting the standard into practice Who does this apply to?
Now you can ensure your organization's Personal Information BS 10012 can be applied to both public and private companies
Management System (PIMS) meets the requirements of and organizations. It can also provide a useful starting point for
BS 10012 with our new tool, BSI Data Protection Online. multi-nationals developing a global PIMS. It is applicable to any
A comprehensive self-assessment toolkit which allows you to: organization that holds personal information and spans all
sectors and has no boundaries.
• Undertake a self-assessment process against the
requirements of BS 10012 BSI Data Protection Online has been designed specifically to
• Get contextual help for each question, written by data make it easy to work across multiple sites and with multiple
protection experts users. Manage your data protection legislative compliance in
• Start new self-assessments when needed, or amend existing any jurisdiction for outsourced or cross-border activities. Or
self-assessments at any time, allowing you to track progress you can just as easily use it as a stand-alone application.
• Share self-assessments with colleagues, and embed data
protection best practice in your organization The top ten business areas generating
• Create summary, detailed or custom reports on your self-
assessments to compare and monitor change
the most complaints
• Cross-reference from the self-assessment questionnaire to Key
the library. 16% Lenders
BSI Data Protection Online library contains: 14% Direct Marketing
8% General Business
• Newsletters on data protection related topics and changes
5% Central Government
• Monthly updates and additions to the reference library
• Guidance on compliance to the Data Protection Act 1998,
5% Policing and criminal records
and implementing and maintaining a PIMS
5% Local government
• Full version of BS 10012
3% Debt collectors
• Advice on specific topics, for example use of email and the 3% Leisure
internet, handling subject access requests and related
legislation Source: UK ICO Annual Report 2008/09
• Case studies, sample policies, forms and templates.
*Opinion Matters/Tickbox.net survey, May 2009
BSI Data Protection Online enables you to systematically work
through your PIMS, testing its strengths, and identifying areas
for improvement. By implementing this process, you can have
confidence that your organization will have robust procedures
Reasons to subscribe to BSI Data Protection All achieved by:
Online • Assessing your Personal Information Management System
(PIMS) against the requirements of BS 10012
• Gain confidence that your procedures for managing personal
information are lawful and that you can embed these into • Identifying what’s working well and what needs attention
your organization’s core values • Assigning actions and responsibilities to colleagues, and
• Deliver a better service to your customers, safe in the monitoring completion dates
knowledge that you are not compromising their trust • Benchmarking across your organization and generating
• Continually improve compliance with data protection comparison reports to demonstrate the results of
legislation and best practice self-assessment against BS 10012
• Stay informed of your compliance obligations via monthly • Researching a library of expert guidance. The answer
updates, topical commentaries and case studies written by is never more than a few clicks away.
data protection experts with market experience
• Work smarter as you review your personal information For more information, visit:
management processes. www.bsigroup.com/DPOnline
Did you know…?
The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) has increasing compulsory audit powers.
The ICO received 25,509** complaints/enquiries relating to data protection in 2008/09.
This figure is expected to rise by 15% during 2009/10
**Source: UK ICO Annual Report Summary 2008/09
Data Protection Online can provide you with trust and confidence
in your DP compliance
£495 +VAT for a single user for one year
To unlock collaboration features and share this guidance with
colleagues, contact us for more information on multi-user licences
Tel: +44 (0)20 8996 9001
Enterprise and consultant packages are also available on request.