View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Astronomy: Final Exam Study Guide
• Using the H-R Diagram, what part of the diagram
corresponds to the main sequence?
• Using the H-R Diagram, what part of the diagram
corresponds to the sun’s location?
• In which area of the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram do stars
spend the majority of their lives? B A
• Use the Stellar Motions diagram to answer the next two
• The star’s proper motion equals
• The star’s radial velocity equals
• Using Table 1 as a resource, which of the following stars is E
Star B in the HR Diagram below? (second, or colored
• Using Table 1 as a resource, which of the following stars is
• What is the magnification produced in a 6-inch (150mm)
reflector by a 16mm eyepiece? The telescope’s focal length is D
• What is the f/number of the above telescope?
• __________ first classified galaxies into elliptical, spiral, and
• __________ galaxies are divided into normal and barred
• __________ galaxies are spherical or egg shaped
• “c” is equal to
• A 6-inch Newtonian telescope could suffer from
• A star of magnitude -1 is __________ than a star of magnitude
• A well-known black hole candidate is
• According to Hubble’s law, the __________ a galaxy is, the
__________ it is receding.
• At what distance would a star’s absolute and apparent
magnitude be equal?
• Elements heavier than iron were created by
• For the northern hemisphere, the celestial sphere appears to
rotate about an axis directed towards the star
• How many of the modern 88 constellations came from ancient
• If the critical density is great enough,
• In a pair of 10x50 binoculars, the “50” refers to the
• Johann Bayer selected the letters of which alphabet to name
the skies brightest stars?
• Johann Dreyer compiled the
• M13 is a/an
• Our galaxy appears to have formed
• Our Milky Way belongs to a typical small galaxy cluster
• Population I stars reside within the __________ of a galaxy, population II stars reside within the __________ and __________ of a galaxy.
• Stellar evolution is a function of a star’s (select best answer)
• The __________ lies at the center of the celestial sphere
• The average length of the solar cycle, or the length between one solar maximum and the next, is about
• The Crab Nebula was created by
• The distance from one part of a wave to the next corresponding part is
• The extension of earth’s equator onto the celestial sphere is called the __________
• The following people named many of our bright stars (select the best answer).
• The height of Polaris above the north horizon is equal to an observer’s
• The matter between stars is termed the
• The method of safe solar observing that involves observing the sun’s image on a flat surface such as paper or cardboard is termed
• The most distant and powerful objects in the universe are
• The oldest of a galaxy’s stars are termed
• The part of the celestial sphere corresponding to the Prime Meridian is the
• The pattern of dark lines in a star’s spectrum tells what about the star (select best answer)?
• The possessive form of the star name Sirius would be
• The rival of the Big Bang theory, the Steady State, claims that
• The Schmidt-Cassegrain is a popular type of
• The star Aldebaran lies in which constellation?
• The study of the origin, structure, evolution, and destiny of the universe is
• The sun travels about ____ along the ecliptic each day. This apparent motion of
the sun is caused by earth’s __________.
• The theory of rapid acceleration just after the Big Bang occurred is termed
• This astronomer compiled 110 of the skies brightest deep sky objects in a list.
• This astronomer created the magnitude scale.
• Vega is a bright star in which constellation?
• What constellation is termed the Great Bear?
• What constellation is termed the Hunter?
• What does the Doppler Effect indicate about our universe?
• What form of electromagnetic radiation has the longest wavelengths?
• What is albireo?
• What is the general term for the creation of elements within a star?
• What is the major element that formed the stars and sun?
• What is the name of the point directly overhead?
• What is the name of the sun’s direction of motion in space?
• What is the significance of the zodiac?
• What magnitude is the approximate limit of human vision?
• What phenomenon accounts for a 26,000-year shift in the position of the north celestial pole?
• What star will be the North Star in 14,000 AD?
• What use do Cepheid variable stars have for astronomers?
• Where is our sun in the following list of stellar evolution milestones?
• Which celestial coordinate is analogous to longitude on a terrestrial globe?
• Which celestial coordinate ranges 90º above or below the celestial equator?
• Which celestial coordinate ranges from 0-24 hours along the celestial equator?
• Which constellation is considered the 13th member of the zodiac
• Which of the following are apparent outbursts or arches of gases visible along the edge of the sun?
• Which of the following are north circumpolar constellations?
• Which of the following describes an absorption spectrum?
• Which of the following describes the oscillating Big Bang model of the universe? (best answer)
• Which of the following is a famous planetary nebula?
• Which of the following is used to measure the distances to nearby stars?
• Which of the following stars is brightest?
• Which star has the greatest proper motion?
• Which type of telescope uses only lenses to collect light?
• Which types of stars were originally thought to emit signals from an alien civilization?
• Why are astronomers searching for missing mass?
• Your fist measures an angle of about _____ on the sky?
Star Apparent Magnitude Spectral Class Distance (light years) Absolute Magnitude
Barnard’s Star 9.56 M3 6 13.4
Betelgeuse 0.50 M2 1400 -7.2
Procyon 0.38 F5 11.4 2.6
Rigel 0.12 B8 1400 -8.1
Sirius -1.46 A1 8.6 1.4
Sirius b 8.11 White Dwarf 8.6 11.3
Spica 0.98 B1 220 -3.2
Vega 0.03 A0 25 0.6
HR Diagram for