Astronomy: A Self-Teaching Guide
Ch. 04: The Sun
1. Why do the sun and moon appear to be about the same size in our sky?
2. Describe a safe method of observing the sun with a telescope.
3. Describe the Nebular Theory
4. What chemical elements are in the sun?
5. Number the following according to their order outward from the sun
_____ Radiation Zone
_____ Convection Zone
6. Which layer represents the sun’s visible “surface?”
7. List observable phenomena of the photosphere and chromosphere:
8. In the sunspot photograph, identify the umbra,
penumbra, and granules.
9. When will be the next total eclipse of the sun
visible from the United States?
10. What two forces interact to maintain a star’s spherical shape?
11. Describe the sun’s differential rotation.
12. What happens during the sun’s 11-year cycle?
13. In the butterfly diagram, where is the start of solar
cycle 23 (after 1995) indicated?
14. List some of the effects of solar flares on the earth.
15. What is the solar wind? CMEs?
16. Towards which direction in space is the Apex of the Sun’s Way?
17. Describe the sun’s motion in space with respect to the Milky Way Galaxy.