11. Flexible Schema● Anyone can invent a tag and start using it. e.g. building=collapsed
12. Supporting Open Source Stack● Lots of free and open source software written which supports OSM ● osm2pgsql (importing OSM into PostgreSQL) ● mapnik (cartographic rendering) ● monav (routing engine and application) ● OpenLayers (web maps) ● + much much more....
13. Low Adoption Barrier● Existing worldwide minutely web map updates ● www.osm.org● Daily OSM extracts available for you to import into existing GIS systems ● download.cloudmade.com● Easy for new users to get started ● potlatch2
14. Contributing to OSM● Ground survey ● With a GPS ● Without a GPS (eg. walking papers)● Tracing aerial imagery● Providing existing data under a free licence● Editors: Potlatch2, JOSM, Merkaartor
15. Crisis Management with OSM Before Quake
16. Crisis Management with OSM Before Quake Shortly After Quake
17. Crisis Management with OSM Before QuakeMay 2011 Shortly After Quake
18. Crisis Management with OSM● An accurate basemap● A database of potentially important features, e.g. ● fire-hydrants ● temporary shelters● Routing post-disaster ● segments tagged as impassable=yes