2. BBC News Labs• Matt Shearer – Lead, BBC News Labs@completedespair• Jeremy Tarling – Data Architect, BBC News@jeremytarling• Paul Wilton – Tech Architect, Ontoba Ltd@pwilton• AND Viktor Tron, Matt Haynes, Mark Ransby
3. BBC News Labs1. History2. Now3. What’s possible4. APIs(no On-Stage, LIVE coding. sorry)
4. History• The News Juicer is 1 year old• 2012 : "All we have is a bunch of articles...We need a semantic prototyping platform!"1GrabBBC News& SportArticles2ExtractConcepts3Match toDBpedia4AnnotateArticle5Push toTriplestore6ExposeviaAPIThe News Juicer
6. Now• 84,400+ News & Sport articles tagged.• 4 semantic APIs(there were only 3 yesterday)• bbc.mashery.com (yahoo:hack)
7. What’s possible
8. APIsJeremy Tarling - Data Architect, BBC News@jeremytarlingthe Juicer API has 4 endpoints:1. article semantic annotation2. article full text search3. concept co-occurrence4. concept search
9. API 1 - article semantic annotation• GET a list of BBC News articles by concept• support for SPARQL queries• explore the DBpedia graph• exampleso "articles about Conservative politicians"o "articles about places within 25 miles of Chester"o "articles about companies in the aerospaceindustry"
10. API 2 - article full text search• perform full text search of BBC News articles• filter by section: "politics", "business"• specify data range, limit + offset• example: "find 5 articles with the wordshorsemeat and Tesco in from the UK sectionsince Jan 1st 2012"
11. API 3 - concept co-occurrence• select a DBpedia concept:<http://dbpedia.org/resource/David_Cameron>• specify the type:<http://dbpedia.org/ontology/Person>• returns an ordered list of people that alsoappear in BBC news articles alongside DavidCameron, and their frequencies
12. API 4 - find concepts• full text search for concepts that are tagged onarticles• specify a search term or phrase• returns OpenSearch Suggestions JSON for thesemantic concepts