Creating Connections <ul><li>63%: </li></ul>With “most people (one) can’t be too careful.”  NY Times /CBS News poll “ Most...
Creating Connections <ul><li>It’s all about trust … </li></ul>
The Story Factor By Annette Simmons “ If a picture is worth a thousand words, a story is worth a thousand assurances.”
Six Stories You Need  to Know How to Tell <ul><li>Who I Am </li></ul><ul><li>Why I Am Here </li></ul><ul><li>The Vision </...
Six Stories You Need  to Know How to Tell <ul><li>Who I Am </li></ul><ul><li>Why I Am Here </li></ul><ul><li>The Vision </...
Your “Who I Am” Story <ul><li>Conflict “Mental struggle” or “opposition” </li></ul><ul><li>Characters </li></ul><ul><li>Se...
Your “Who I Am” Story <ul><li>90 seconds to draft it (Will show “Elements”) </li></ul><ul><li>60 seconds to deliver </li><...
Your “Who I Am” Story <ul><li>Conflict “Mental struggle” or “opposition” </li></ul><ul><li>Characters </li></ul><ul><li>Se...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

It's All About Trust

570
-1

Published on

Networking exercise from the October 28, 2011 BACN meeting. Terry Gault leads the group in an exercise based on Annette Simmons' book *The Story Factor*.

0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
570
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
5
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide
  • A NY Times/CBS News poll revealed that: 63% of respondents … (click) believe that in dealing with “most people (one) can’t be too careful.” (click) 37% believed that … (click) “ most people would try to take advantage of you if they got a chance.” How can you overcome this natural distrust from people who don’t know you? The same survey provides the answer. (click) Those polled said that 85% felt that … (click) people they “knew personally” would “try to be fair.”
  • Audiences need to know who you are before they can trust you. It is faith that moves mountains, not facts. They need to have faith in YOU, your goals, your character, in the story you tell. What is one of the most powerful things you can do to accelerate your ‘time to trust’?
  • In October of 2003, just one month after David Henderson, co-founder and the face of The Henderson Group, passed away suddenly, I felt unmoored. David was to The Henderson Group what Steve Jobs was to Apple. David had always been my mentor as well as a thought leader. After 6 years with the company, I was certainly capable of delivering all our service offerings but I doubted my own ability to fill the role of thought leader within the organization. On a flight to Milwaukee for a gig at GE, I started reading “The Story Factor” by Annette Simmons. Within the first few paragraphs, I was immediately inspired. So much so that made a point to meet Annette and visit her in her home in No Carolina. This quote captures the essence of her book: (click) “ If a picture is worth a thousand words, a story is worth a thousand assurances.” (click)
  • The first chapter of the book is called “The Six Stories You Need to Know How to Tell.”
  • Your “Who I Am” story is the answer to this emotional need to know who you are before they’ll trust. You need to have a Who I am Story to be able to accelerate that “time to trust” – to help prospective clients get to know you.
  • It's All About Trust

    1. 1. Creating Connections <ul><li>63%: </li></ul>With “most people (one) can’t be too careful.” NY Times /CBS News poll “ Most people would try to take advantage of you if they got a chance.” People they “knew personally” would “try to be fair.” 37%: 85%:
    2. 2. Creating Connections <ul><li>It’s all about trust … </li></ul>
    3. 3. The Story Factor By Annette Simmons “ If a picture is worth a thousand words, a story is worth a thousand assurances.”
    4. 4. Six Stories You Need to Know How to Tell <ul><li>Who I Am </li></ul><ul><li>Why I Am Here </li></ul><ul><li>The Vision </li></ul><ul><li>Teaching </li></ul><ul><li>Values-In-Action </li></ul><ul><li>I Know What You’re Thinking </li></ul>
    5. 5. Six Stories You Need to Know How to Tell <ul><li>Who I Am </li></ul><ul><li>Why I Am Here </li></ul><ul><li>The Vision </li></ul><ul><li>Teaching </li></ul><ul><li>Values-In-Action </li></ul><ul><li>I Know What You’re Thinking </li></ul>
    6. 6. Your “Who I Am” Story <ul><li>Conflict “Mental struggle” or “opposition” </li></ul><ul><li>Characters </li></ul><ul><li>Self-Disclosure (Vulnerability) </li></ul>Elements:
    7. 7. Your “Who I Am” Story <ul><li>90 seconds to draft it (Will show “Elements”) </li></ul><ul><li>60 seconds to deliver </li></ul><ul><li>Leader at each table Starts AND Manages time </li></ul>Steps: Go!
    8. 8. Your “Who I Am” Story <ul><li>Conflict “Mental struggle” or “opposition” </li></ul><ul><li>Characters </li></ul><ul><li>Self-Disclosure (Vulnerability) </li></ul>Elements:

    ×