2. SQL Server Compact Microsoft SQL Server Compact (SQL CE) is a compactAyberk Demirci relational database produced by Microsoft for applications that run on mobile devices and desktops. Prior to the introduction of the desktop platform, it was known as SQL Server for Windows CE and SQL Server Mobile Edition. The latest release is the SQL Server Compact 4.0 supporting .NET Framework 4.0, and dropping support for Windows Mobile in this release. It includes both 32-bit and 64-bit native support. It is free to download and redistribute.
3. SQL Server Compact Features Small footprint for easy Integration with Microsoft deployment.(2 MB) Visual Studio.Ayberk Demirci Single file, code-free Support for various database format. programming languages Support for nonadmin, It’s an alternative to JET, embedded XML, Persisted DataSets, installations.(No database SQL Server Express installation) Future releases will unify Support for a subset of the synchronization syntax and data types. capabilities with Microsoft Works with Existing Data Synchronization Services. APIs like ADO.NET.
4. Other Features... SQL CE databases reside in a single .sdf file,which can be up to 4 GB in size .Ayberk Demirci The .sdf file can be encrypted with 128-bit encryption for data security. Stronger data security with the use of the SHA2 encryption algorithms for encrypting the databases. The .sdf file can simply be copied to the destination system for deployment, or be deployed through ClickOnce. Uses ADO.NET Entity Framework’s code-first programming model.
5. What can we do with SQL Compact? Everything you need to build Web sites using Windows with the WebMatrix Technology (WebMatrix is a new Web development tool that includes IIS Express, SQLAyberk Demirci Server Compact and ASP.NET. Also it makes easier to develop web sites.) Popular PHP or ASP.NET Web apps like WordPress, Joomla!, MojoPortal, Orchard and Umbraco are just a click away. Customize your web site using the built-in code-editor and make it yours with the help of WebMatrix. Use WebMatrix to find a Web host that fits your requirements and use the built-in publishing support for FTP, FTPS, and WebDeploy to ensure that your files, databases, and settings arrive intact on the Web.
6. What can we do with SQL Compact? Develop applications by using Transact-SQL(T- SQL) functionalityAyberk Demirci Build full-featured mobile and desktop client applications Accelerate development with LINQ support with highly effective query logic.(LINQ=Language Integrated Query) Extended development reach for applications with Windows operating systems running on desktops, servers, laptops, and mobile devices, as well as Windows Embedded appliances.
7. Architectural Comparisons SQL Server (Express*) SQL Server Compact Shared Data Services Local Data DocumentsAyberk Demirci Multiple Connections from Multiple Connections from multiple clients multiple processes & threads Runs as a service Runs In-Proc w/Application Multi-proc access through shared memory Connection Pooling Connections through through SqlClient SqlCeConnection Query Plans cached in Query Plans cached in SQL Server Engine SqlCeCommand object