There are five types of vertebrates
and they all look different from each
• 1. Mammals
• 2. Birds
• 3. Reptiles
• 4. Fish
• 5. Amphibians
• Mammals usually have HAIR or FUR on their
• Most mammals have got four legs, also called
• They breathe with their LUNGS.
• Many mammals have also got a TAIL.
• Female mammals give birth to live young
that have developed inside their body. So
mammals are VIVIPAROUS.
• Female mammals have also got
MAMMARY GLANDS; they produce milk
to feed their young.
• Mammals feed on many things. Some
mammals, like lions and tigers, are
CARNIVORES. Other mammals, like cows
and deer, are HERBIVORES. Mammals,
like bears and chimpanzees, are
• What is a carnivore animal?
• What is a herbivore animal?
• What is an omnivore animal?
• Now, can you think of some examples of
mammals in English?
• Don’t forget that WHALES, DOLPHINS,
SEALS and BATS are also MAMMALS.
• Birds have got FEATHERS on their
• They have got two LEGS,
two WINGS and a BEAK.
• Most birds CAN FLY.
• Some birds CAN SWIM.
• Fish are OVIPAROUS. The females
produce eggs and lay them in the water.
• Most amphibians have four legs.
• They have got SMOOTH SKIN.
• They are OVIPAROUS. They lay eggs in
• When amphibians are young, they are
aquatic animals, with GILLS to breathe.
Later, when they become adults, they
grow LUNGS so they can breathe air and
live on land.
• The two main group of amphibians are:
• 1. Frogs and toads
• 2. Salamanders and newts
• Can you answer the following questions?
1. What are VERTEBRATES?
2. Which groups of vertebrates are there?
3. What can you say about each group of
4. Which group of animals do human beings