Welcome To OurWelcome To Our
Definition of Racism:
• 1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the
various human races determine cultural or individual achievement,
usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has
the right to rule others.
• 2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering
such a doctrine; discrimination.
• 3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
• a.) Racism has existed throughout human history. It may be defined
as the hatred of one person by another -- or the belief that
another person is less than human -- because of skin color,
language, customs, place of birth or any factor that supposedly
reveals the basic nature of that person. It has influenced wars,
slavery, the formation of nations, and legal codes.
• b.) The most notorious example of racism by the West has been
slavery, particularly the enslavement of Africans in the New World
(slavery itself dates back thousands of years). This enslavement
was accomplished because of the racist belief that Black Africans
were less fully human than white Europeans and their descendants.
• “Lukewarm acceptance
is more bewildering than
• I refuse to accept the view
that mankind is so tragically
bound to the starless
midnight of racism and war
that the bright daybreak of
peace and brotherhood can
never become a reality.... I
believe that unarmed truth
and unconditional love will
have the final word.
• Racism isn't born,
folks, it's taught. I
have a two-year-old
son. You know what
he hates? Naps!
End of list.
• To live anywhere in
the world today and
be against equality
because of race or
color is like living in
Alaska and being
• “Laundry is the only
thing that should be
separated by color.”
• “Racial superiority is
a mere pigment of
• "Anybody ever been
down south? So you
guys know what I'm
talking about. Now
the racism down
there is just
stewed to a
out in the open.
There are no
Everybody knows the
deal. Good morning
• ““I st ill t hinkI st ill t hink
people do havepeople do have
racial hang-ups,racial hang-ups,
but I t hink one ofbut I t hink one of
t he reasons I cant he reasons I can
j oke about it isj oke about it is
people arepeople are
shedding t hoseshedding t hose
racial hat reds.”racial hat reds.”
• “Excellence is the
best deterrent to
racism or sexism.”
• “Anger dwells only in
the bosom of fools.”
• “Whatever is begun
in anger ends in
German, IrishGerman, Irish
• Father: AfricanFather: African
• President ofPresident of
United StatesUnited States
• Mot her : I r ishMot her : I r ish
• Fat her : Af ro-Fat her : Af ro-
Venezuelan andVenezuelan and
Af r ican Amer icanAf r ican Amer ican
• Singer, Act ress, TvSinger, Act ress, Tv
show Hostshow Host
• Father: African
• Producer, Writer,
2.4 percent of the United
States is multiracial
Hawaii has the largest multiracial
population. – 24.1 percent of its
Alaska is second with 5.4 percent.
The five least multiracial states are
Mississippi, West Virginia, Maine,
Alabama, and South Carolina.
All have multiracial populations less
than 1 percent
The 2000 census over
6.8 million Americans
marked an identification
with two or more races.
The 2000 census was
the first census to allow
respondents to choose
more than one race.
What does it mean?
• The multiracial individual is a visible
indication of our country’s move
towards acceptance not just tolerance.
• As we become more integrated as a
society, discussions of race may
• Diversity is not only about race but
experiencing various perspectives,
values and the thoughts they bring with
• It is expected by 2050, the majority of
the US population, nearly 75 million, will
identify with more than one race.
• Thirty years ago it was 1-100, today it is
When they asked –Arnold Arnaff
When they asked
I was Black or White
I was Black and White
did it make to them.
and they said:
did I have the answers
to the math problems?
and I had the answers.
Ways to combat racism.
• Face our reluctance to discuss race.
• Realize that sometimes it isn’t what we say
it is what we do not say.
• Let children lead the way.
• Confront stereotyping when it occurs.
• Don’t wait for Heritage Days and History
• Beyond Tolerance: Expecting Acceptance.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.