1. Atiqa Ijaz Khan
2. Fatima Latif
Subject: Spatial Modeling
Date: 20th Nov, 2013
Institute of Geology
Submitted By: Atiqa Ijaz Khan
Roll no. 02
The task is to extensively digitize, so to pick up all the important land features in that
particular area including roads, villages, houses, forest, graveyard, river, etc.
The data is in the format of “topo-sheet”. The area belong to the Faisalabad, Sahiwal ,
and Toba Tek Singh Districts. The survey is updated back in 2000-2001. The index of
survey sheet of Pakistan (SOP) is 44 B/14.
The sheet is divided into 12 equal parts. As per Group_01, the assigned area belongs to
upper left corner.
The procedural steps are as follows:
1. Add the topographic-sheet in the .tiff extension.
2. The coordinates system is of Geographic Coordinates System.
3. Add shape-file named as: “Land”, having division of that particular area.
4. Create new shape-files with Geographic Coordinates (point, line, polygon, water
5. Select 1 box from LAND SHAPEFILE, from upper left corner, by using tool
6. Export it the shape-file with selected feature. (say: G_1)
7. In Toolbox, Search for, “Export by Mask”.
a. For the inputs:
i. Select (.tiff) in Input and,
ii. Exported shape-file (G_1) in next tab.
iii. Click OK.
9. Now digitize all the available stuff in that area.
Add field of Name (Text) and Type (Text) in all 4 shape-files (as in above
mentioned point 2). By keeping the Editing OFF.
Select: Wells, huts, graveyard, trees in Point-Features.
Select: Roads, path track, (lined n dotted) power lines, in Line-Features.
Select: Barren land, villages in Polygon-Features.
Select: Water body in Water body Shape-file.
Update the Attribute Table.
For this, Digitize the same type first in the whole area (like, Huts), then
Select them all. Open “Attribute Table”, Select “Field Calculator”, Select 'Name'
field, and type huts like : "Huts", and OK.... (it will add Huts in the Name filed).
Continue with the same procedure for all other.
Repeat for all steps for all shape-files (point, line, polygon, water body).
The final digitized result is as shown below: