CORPORAL PUNISHMENT IS
BANNED IN SCHOOLS? STATUS OF
GLOBAL MOVEMENT TO OUTLAW
The Pennsylvania State University
Discrepancies in the use of corporal
• 140 countries have signed United Nation’s
Convention on Child Rights (UNCRC).
• Remained an universal phenomenon- 76
countries have no law.
• Definition and validity of corporal punishment is
debated by researchers/policy makers.
Cultural factors of corporal punishment
• Collectivist belief on students’ discipline.
• Personal experiences and philosophies of
• Use of judicious corporal punishment.
• Residual religious beliefs and colonial heritage.
Organizational factors of corporal
• Local vs. National/International: Teachers’
authority trumps laws.
• Use of corporal punishment as a humiliating
motivational tool for tests.
• Uncertainty regarding alternative strategies.
• Maintenance of school decorum.