Analysing Customer Satisfaction- a study with special
reference to Birla Cement
MBA III SEM
Introduction of Cement Industry
• Cement is the most essential raw material in any kind
of construction Activity.
• The first cement industry in India was set up at
Porbundar, by the India Cement Company Ltd in
Gujarat in 1914
• China produces 1400 million tones per year and India
produces a mere 257 million tones.
• Indian Cement Industry is now the second largest
cement producer in the world, next only to China.
• India’s share in the world’s cement production
is around 6%.
• This industry is mainly concentrated in Andhra
Pradesh (16%), Rajasthan (15.5%), Madhya
Pradesh (9%), Gujarat (9%), Tamil Nadu (13%),
Maharashtra (6%), Karnataka (7%) and
• Cement basic raw material is limestone (calcium carbonate).
The limestone used in manufacturing on Cement should have
at least 80% purity. The purest form of limestone is marble.
• Major Manufacturing process :-
5. Burning/ Baking
As per the Report of the Working Group on Cement Industry for the XI Five
Year Plan (2007-2012), the projected demand of cement for three Years is
as given below:
Year Demand of
(In Million Tones)
The actual cost of sales, including interest and commission per bag
Details Rs/per bag (50 kg)
The Ministry of Commerce and Industry ltd.
Top 10 Cement Companies in India
BIRLA CORPORATION LIMITED
Ghanshyam Das Birla set up the first Indians-owned jute mill in Kolkata.
The cement is marketed under the brand names of Birla Cement KHAJURAHO,
Birla Cement SAMRAT and Birla Cement DURGAPUR.
• Chittorgarh Birla units / Chanderia Cement Works share is around Rs.865
Crores, which is 33.2% of the companies turnovers. These plants
manufacturing the variety of cement like:
1. Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC)
2. Pozzolana Portland Cement (PPC).
The main Marketing areas are Rajasthan, Haryana, Punjab, Delhi, Gujarat,
Western U.P. and Maharashtra.
Objective of Research
• To identify the key attributes that configure perception about
• To analyse the customer perception about the Birla cement
brand on the identified attributes.
Project Research type Exploratory research
Data Sources Primary Data
Research Approach Survey Method
Research Instrument Questionnaire
Data Analysis Descriptive statistics
Sampling Technique Random Sampling
Sample Size 100 Respondents
Universe Of Study Chittorgarh Region
Duration of the survey 45 days
Awareness about brand Birla
Analysis:- Almost all the consumers are aware about the brand.
Birla cement being used for construction
Analysis:- The major part of the sample have used Birla cement
for their house hold construction or other.
Feature of Birla cement is more enjoyed by consumers
Analysis: Customers evenly enjoy consuming Birla Cement and as per
the analysis Fast setting of the cement is the most attractive feature
followed by colour, Packing and Technical support by the company.
Color packaging fast setting Technical support
Area must be taken into consideration for raising the goodwill of an
Analysis:- As per survey consumers preferred the cost to be looked
upon for raising Goodwill and later followed by on time supply
,home delivery ,advertisement and dealers goodwill.
Low Cost On Time Home delivery ADS. Goodwill
Whose advice you prefer more before the purchase of cement
Analysis:-Mason was ranked at the top by the consumers followed by
contractor, Engineers advice being the third choice of the consumer
and ranking friend and relatives on fourth and dealer on fifth.
Most frequent source for advertisement and visibility of brand ads
Analysis:-As per consumer response we found that Tractor is the most
prominent source of advertisement and Wall painting very close to
it but the second choice of the consumers, Newspaper the third
Hordings Wall painting Tractor Newspaper T.V Diary/ring
Birla cement Ranking in relation with others cement brands
Analysis:- Dealer ranked Birla cement best in comparison with
other cement brands. Some even ranked it good
Best Good Average Poor
On time supply of Birla cement
Analysis:- All most all the dealers respond positive for delivery
on time aspect
Technical help provided by company
Analysis:- All responses where in favour for the company’s
• Customers are well aware about the brand
• The most of the market of Dist –Chittorgarh is covered by Birla
cement, ultratech, J.k and Ambuja.
• Mainly consumer prefer Dark colour of cement followed by Fast
Setting, Packing and Technical support.
• Mason, Contractor and Engineer play the major role in purchasing of
• Wall painting are found to be the most effective media of advertisement.
• Dealer ranked Birla cement best in comparison with other cement brands
• To increase the brand image of company should focus on Low price and
on-time availability supported by home delivery and ad's.
• Company should provide training to retailers and provide them with
general knowledge about various aspects of Birla cement.
• Company’s sales executives should meet retailers time to time. Organise
meetings, and conferences with contractors .
• TV Ads must also be given importance apart from wall painting and