• MTV Roadies is a youth-based popular reality television show
on MTV India.
• It is an Indian version of the show, Road Rules(1995).
• Launched in 2000.
• Show is sponsored by Viacom 18.
• Hosted by Raghu Ram and Ranvijay
• Completed X successful seasons
and currently going through XIth season.
• India's longest running reality show in the youth genre
• 10 years after hitting television screens, MTV Roadies
has become a cult youth brand.
• The youthfulness of the show is obvious even behind
• The auditions are conducted by popular VJ's like Raghu
Ram, Rannvijay Singh, Nikhil Chinapa and Rajiv Laxman.
• Fill out a form and then attend a Group Discussion (GD).
• The form consists of basic questions regarding the applicant and
includes some questions like "Why do you want to be a Roadie?"
and "What is the greatest regret of your life?" etc.
• Moderators watch the performance of all the applicants in this GD
and then they shortlist some people who are called on the next day
for the Personal Interview round.
• This personal interview takes place with some of the above
mentioned VJ's. These interviews are known to be intense and try to
bring out the true nature of the participant. These interviews often
have abusive language and the interviewers don't like applicants
who have lied on the application form.
• The selected Roadies are given Hero Honda Karizma(till
9)bikes to travel on a pre-decided route.
• Each episode features a vote-out at the end in which the
roadies eliminate one of their fellow roadie, thereby decreasing
the number of roadies carrying on with the journey.
• Each episode consists of number of tasks or challenges which
they have to perform. These tasks can be either "Money tasks"
or "Immunity tasks". In the "Money tasks", the roadies add
cash to their account on successful completion of these tasks
while in "Immunity tasks", the team which wins gets
• The team which attains Immunity becomes safe from vote-out
i.e. its members cannot be voted-out in that episode. The above
mentioned tasks are either team-based (i.e. performed between
two or more teams) or individual-based (i.e. performed one-
• The fifth season was the first time when an "Advantage task"
was introduced. The winner of the "Advantage task" gets some
advantage in the vote out, which may multiple votes or being
the only one(s) to vote.
Cyrus Sahukar 8 Rannvijay Singh
3 13 Parul Shahi
4 13 Anthony Yeh
5 13 Ashutosh Kaushik
6 20 Nauman Sait India, Australia
7 14 Anwar Syed
8 13 Aanchal Khurrana India, Brazil
9 13 Vikas
10 16 Palak Johal India
• Over 2 million people auditioned since 2003
• Major viewers form Mumbai, Delhi, Punjab, Rajasthan, Uttar
Pradesh and Pune
• 60 million viewers for 7th edition, 80 million for 9th edition and
100 million for 10th edition
• 10th edition was simulcast in 35 countries including
US, Australia, New Zeland etc.
• International appeal
Reasons behind it
• Unbridled Passion: Hosts, participants, crew makes it
authentic and enthusiastic
• Engaging content: Youngster loves it. It is on TV as well as on
• Success factors: People+ Tasks+ Journey= Super adventure
• Conflict and provocations: Add entertainment and surprise
• Real- Raw- Authentic- Honest
• IDEA, MTV partner to develop Roadies on mobile, web:
IDEA Cellular is partnering with MTV Roadies to launch the 'IDEA
Mobile Roadie Challenge,' in an attempt to create a mobile customer
engagement program. The IDEA Mobile VAS Contest has been
developed by OnMobile and the IDEA Roadies website has been
developed by Tribal DDB, along the lines of the TV show, and will
incorporate the voice of the show's judge Raghu Ram.
IDEA subscribers will have the chance of competing for the title of
'Mobile Roadie' and win a cash prize of Rs. 1 Lakh. Nine other
finalists will win a cash prize of Rs. 5,000 each. The idea behind the
mobile application was to re-create the Roadies'
experience, virtually. The mobile version of the game offers
tasks, similar to those given to the Roadies' contestants on the TV
• STRATEGY: Reach out to our viewers and enable them to influence their
social circle about Roadies.
• CONTENT STRATEGY: Sneak peaks, full episodes, behind the scene
pictures, gossip & leaks. Quick contests & gratification Simulcast on
TV, Web & Mobile Long & short form Roadies content available on
microsite, Facebook, YouTube and on mobile. Uncensored clips & full
episodes! Live Chat with hosts & contestants. To ensure we reached out to
our consumer multiple times on a daily basis.
• LISTENING STRATEGY: We were all ears on our MTV Roadies
Facebook page On-Air Programming Content was edited according to the
fan’s demands. FB-Meetups/Tweetups before airing of episodes. Regular
polls & tweets to find out who is trending on the show
• INTERACTIVE STRATEGY: Live chat with Raghu, Rajiv, Rannvijay &
contestants! Raghu’s blog on the website. Contests on Facebook & Twitter.
We wanted to keep the consumer involved 24/7 right from the beginning of
the show to the very end.
• A college connect program targeted at over 200 colleges sees Raghu and
Rannvijay visiting the colleges and integrating with college festivals and
college bike rallies across cities.
• The channel is reaching out to over 150 power towns across UP and
Gujarat through several BTL activations.
• Roadies is active on social media as well with nearly 20 million visitors on
its micro-site and around 7.8 million fans on Facebook.
• Each season of the show undergoes
production for about 10-11 months.
• The actual competition takes place for 40-60
days and is telecast for close to 20 weeks
TAG r YOUR r
SUBMIT A PIC
UNCENSORED & RAW EPISODES on
WEBSITE & YOUTUBE
LIVE CHAT WITH RAGHU,
Ranvijay & CONTESTANTS EVERY WEEK
• #Roadies trending every Saturday
10,OOOs of retweets!
RATED AS ONE OF
MOST ENGAGING PAGES
7 million video views
10 million website views
Won the Best Website in Media
Category at Campaign India awards.
• FB Marketing Tactic:
• MTV Roadies Increased Clicks on their Facebook Page
By 1290% Using Facebook Albums by making sure each
photo post contained multiple photos, not just one. When
you post a single photo, a fan sees everything right from
the single thumbnail in their newsfeed.
• When you post multiple photos, Facebook converts it to
an album and only shows thumbnails for the first 3
photos. Fans were curious to see the rest of the photos, so
they clicked on the posts.
• Mochi and MTV Roadies introduce MTV Roadies
• Approach/ Strategy:
• Project: Association with Google
Strategy: Shift the Roadies challenge to the computer screens
• Marketing Approach:
• Use of Television, Online Media, Social media, Mobile Media & Offline
platforms for 360 degrees activation for Digital Roadies
• Use traditional platforms like on-ground, television and marketing to drive
• The participants inherently become User Generated Content Producers for
• Duration: 3months
• Marketing spread:
• Google Content network: 57 Million impressions
• Google impressions (Search): 2 million
• Viacom 18 Online Network:15 Million impressions
• Web 18 Online Network: 25 Million impressions
• Total budget allocated: Rs. 1 crore approximately
• Season XI will be consumed by fans through TV
episodes, web episodes, on-ground events and Roadies’
branded merchandise including sunglasses, shoes and bags.
Nov. 09- June 10
Jan. 11- June 11
Jan. 12- June 12
Jan. 13- June 13
2007-2008 Nov. 08- April 09
• Season 1-4- Be a Rebel
• Season 5- Goes International
Season 6 - Hell Down Under
Season 7 - 7 Deadly Sins
Season 8 - Shortcut To Hell
Season 9 - Everything or Nothing
Season 10 - Battle for Glory
• Season X1- Ride for Respect
• The major viewership of the show comes from the HSM
markets, more importantly from
Mumbai, Delhi, Punjab, Gujarat, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh.
In its 10th season, the show is being simulcast in 35 countries
(including Australia, New Zealand, Nepal, Sri
Lanka, Maldives, Qatar, Singapore, US, UAE, Angola and
• The format has also been adapted internationally in some
Asian countries. Pakistan was the first one to adopt it, in 2010.
The channel is in talks with a couple of other countries
too, including Bangladesh and Indonesia.
• The content is engaging and the format has been evolving
• Last year, retail stores sold Rs. 60 crore worth
of Roadies merchandise (the channel gets a
percentage of the sales). Roadies branded
products (like stationery, clothing, eyewear and
footwear) are available in about 5,000 retail
outlets in 50 cities
• The cumulative reach of the show has
increased over the years.
• MTV has hiked overall digital marketing
budgets from Rs. 1 crore, four years ago, to Rs.
5 crore, now.
• Roadies Season 7 was watched by nearly 60
million Indian viewers and this grew by 34 per
cent to over 80 million viewers, by the eighth
and ninth seasons.
• So far, the 10th Season has reached 35 million
viewers, in five episodes and the channel is
expecting to cross the 100 million mark.
• Product - passion for the brand or that
wearing Roadies is 'cool’.
• Last year, MTV Roadies won the "most social
TV show in the world" title at the Mashable
• The persona of Roadies revolves around 'Being
• With 60 per cent of the population being
ROADIES VS BINDASS
• Youth orientation
• More TRP for Roadies
• Traffic Drive
• Brand Involvement