1. Designing a Robust and Flexible Title of PresentationInformation ArchitectureDYNAMIC INTRANETSSeptember 2011
2. What is IA?• The structural design of shared information environments.• The art and science of organising and labelling web sites, intranets, online communities and software to support usability and findability.• An emerging community of practice focused on bringing principles of design and architecture to the digital landscape.
3. The Brightstar Case Study – in the beginning...Several ‘local’ Intranets setup and arranged differently. No consistent approach tocreating new intranets INFOCENTER INFOCENTER INFOCENTER INFOCENTER AU HK MY VN INFOCENTER INFOCENTER TR INFOCENTER ORBIT SG NZ INFOCENTER INFOCENTER TH SA
4. The Brightstar Case Study – analysis of our approach... • Stop duplication of content • Reduce overall publishers for corporate content • Reduce risks and improve BCP processes Reduce Administration Overhead • One location for news, information & CENTRAL Consistent resources • One URL for accessREGIONAL User • Same IA and design for all usersINTRANET Experience Support Business Growth • Provide instant Intranet access to new start-ups • Central online induction & employee reward programs • Make it easier for teams to manage their content
5. The Brightstar Case Study – Intranet Services todayOne ‘regional’ Intranet servicing APAC & MEA subsidiaries across 3 separatecomponents SHAREPOINT PLATFORM SOCIAL MY SITES Brightstar employee profiles and social network INFORMATION COLLABORATION INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY INFOCENTER WORKSPACE ORBIT Regional corporate information site for Team workspaces for collaboration and Operator Information Site for managing company and people information, news, centralising shared content and delivering Brightstar Services policies, procedures, forms and resources
6. How we went about doing this 2010 2011 OCT NOV DEC JAN FEB Migration of team sites to WorkSpace Research into global intranet implementations Identify content, risks & challenges IA & wireframes design proposal Develop new content & build pages in new SharePoint environment Migrate content into new SharePoint environment Testing & review of new site sections by content owners Persona testing Tweaks & changes Leading comms Launch!
7. Looking back over the project... Challenges Lessons Opportunities
8. So, what does our IA look like?A tour of the Brightstar IntranetWARNING: our sites are clean with minimal customisation of SharePoint to deliver an easy to use user-interface!
9. Dynamic IntranetsDesigning a Robust and Flexible Information Architecture Katrina Marques Regional Intranet Services Manager, Marketing Brightstar Corp www.brightstarcorp.com www.brightstarcorp.com.au