We conducted a questionnaire based around music videos and then asked 10 people to give us their answers. The reason for doing was this is so that when it comes to the development of the music video we know what people will prefer to view and what our target market is. Here are the results of the questionnaire.
Are you male or female? Here the results show that the people who answered our questionnaire were equal ratio to men and women. This means that when it comes to the plot of our storyboard we need to think of one that will appeal to both sexes. It also means that we have a wider target audience; this could be more difficult as there will be more people that the video has to appeal to rather than a specific market.
2.What Age are You? The results of this question show that the majority of people that answered our questionnaire were aged 12-18; this means that we have a specific age group to target our video at rather than it being a broad target.
3. What type of music do you listen to? The results of this question show that more than 50% of the people we asked listen to indie music, with no one saying they listen to Hip-Hop. This means that when it comes to deciding the type of music we will use for our music video we will most probably go with indie. This means that if we choose indie more people will want to watch the music video.
4. When watching a music video do you pay attention to the storyline? The results of this question show that nearly 75% of the people we asked do pay attention to the storylines in music videos. The reason we asked this question was because we wanted to see if people would prefer a plot or something different, like a montage of different random images or clips. From looking at these results it shows that we will make a music video with some sort of storyline as this is what people want to see.
5. Do you think a music video affects your opinion of a song? When looking at the results of this question it shows that a high percentage of people thought that a music video does not affect their opinion of a song. This is shown in artists videos such as Lily Allen’s video for ‘Oh My God’ where it is a cartoon and she is not in, however, this song did well in the charts and is still a well known song. Therefore when it comes to our music video it means that the song will carry the video, this means we can be experimental with the video so that it looks good but is different to others.
6. What genre of music video do you prefer? The results of this question show that more than half of the people we asked prefer a music video with the genre of a narrative. This means that when it comes to the designing of our storyboard we can make it a narrative. This is good for us as we can use a variety of ideas meaning we will be able to use our creative sides more. This is better than developing a different genre such as a spectacle one as that would be too complicated to look effective and it would also be time consuming.
7. Do you prefer a music video with a narrative? By looking at the results of this question it shows that people prefer a music video with some sort of story to it, therefore we will produce a music video that fulfills this. By doing this we are appealing to a wide range of people as they want to see this in a music video. This means that more people will watch the music video.
The reason we asked this question was to see what music videos people liked and then by looking at this we can look at these music videos and see if there is anything we can incorporate into our music video. This means we will have a range of different preferences that will appeal to everyone.