View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
To create an undergraduate experience in engineering, which prepares the student for a professional career. It will reflect the changing demands of industry, incorporating the new interests and industry experience of faculty and administration. To be successful in real world technological fields, an interdisciplinary background must be obtained; therefore, the undergraduate engineering programs should encompass these dynamic changes.
Define project goals – to design a major to keep pace with the demands of industry. See project definition above for more info
2. Research - spoke with friends and people in our classes to find out which majors they were interested in, and what kind of jobs they would want after graduation. Also, looked at what majors are currently offered at Berkeley; went through the course catalog
3. Brainstorm – initially, we came with a couple of ideas each, and then we sat down as a group and threw out ideas for possible majors, expanding on many and taking them in different directions. Came up with over a 100 possible majors .
Team Design Process
Team Design Process 4. Vote – we each chose 3 majors from the total list to narrow it down to the top 10 ideas. Two members of our team dropped the class 5. Focus – considered the suggestions from the feedback of our first report, discussed the majors further, combined some majors into one, and came up with our top 3 majors 6. Delegate - split up the research between group members, so each one of us became an expert on one major. Two people for 2 of the 3 majors, and 1 person for the third major. We each did in-depth research on our major and gave feedback on other majors to the other group members
7. Prototype - for each major, we created a schedule of classes, as well as sample 4-year plans for each major.
8. Test - created a user survey and surveyed (mostly) current Cal students about their interests, and which major they would be most interested in. Asked also about which elements they would like to add to their majors
9. Refine - based on user survey results, we narrowed it down to one top major, and improved on the details that were not clear as well as added elements to major based on user suggestions.
10. Present - create website for final major and present it to the class
Focused study of video game design history and current trends. A project based course, this course will provide an opportunity to create a full fledged video game and present to professionals in video game design.
Design Engineering 199 - Supervised Independent Study
Part of the 8 unit/25 hour Research/Internship requirement for the DE
major. DE students are required to take this class twice.
On a scale of 1 to 10, please rate your response, with 1 being least interested, and 10 being most interested
How interested would you be in a major that combines fashion and engineering
How interested would you be in a major that combines psychology and engineering
How interested would you be in a major that explored the principles and techniques
for video game design
How interested would you be in a major that combines Computer Design and
How interested would you be in a major that combines Business and Engineering
Are you interested in the opportunity (through school) to gain on the job experience, while earning credit towards school?
If any of the above majors seem appealing to you, please provide further suggestions: what classes would you want to take; what would you do with this major post graduation; what kind of jobs would you look for?