15 Feb 1994 – Incorporated as a company (Mais Zakat Sdn Bhd – Company Limited) under the Companies Act , being subsidiary and wholly owned by Selangor Islamic Religious Council which core business mainly in collection of zakat .
- Initially, scope given were to organize 2 counters in highly populated district and expended later on covering the whole district in Selangor.
- Originally run by 5 man powers lead by a manager and 4 officers
- Manage to collect RM 15million in 1995 and increase to RM 26 million in 1996
1998 – Based on successful performance, given trust by stake holder in Expansion of Core Business which is Managing Collection and Disbursement of Zakat
2006 – Converted to Lembaga Zakat Selangor under Trustee Act reflects, the image of a Non Profit organization and with bigger role and responsibilities.
- Total staffs of 250 with 9 departments
- Managing transaction fund of RM 400 million ( sourced by RM 200 million collection)
- Increase numbers of zakat payers from 3,000 in 1995 to 135,000 in 2007
- Taking care of 10,000 family of fuqara and masakin and thousands over receipients from 5 other categories.
2.0 LAWS AND JURISDICTION Malaysian constitution defines Islamic affairs under the jurisdictions of state government which supreme power is under the Sultan of the State. However, the Federal Government support the Islamic practices particularly in zakat by allowing zakat payment to be rebated ( deducted) one to one basis from personal tax. ( Malaysian Tax Act ) All the state government have established an enactment to exercise rules on zakat nevertheless, not a single enforcement yet to be executed till then. What critical factors that influenced most in the huge collection of zakat ? It is the combination of effort in dakwah, promotions,innovations in sales force and trust by zakat payer due to disbursement of zakat programme.
3.0 ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE Stake holder perspective Your Highness Sultan of Selangor MAIS CORPORATION SDN BHD INTERNATIONAL ISLAMIC UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF SELANGOR ISLAMIC RELIGIOUS COUNCIL OF SELANGOR ( MAIS ) SUBSIDIARIES
3.0 ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE Management perspective GENERAL MANAGER DEPT. COLLECTION & DAKWAH BOARD OF TRUSTEES GM DEPARTMENT DEPT. BRANCH OPERATION DEPT. DISTRIBUTION DEPT . F & M . DEVELOPMENT DEPT. OF FINANCE DEPT. COPT DEVELOPMENT DEPT . ADMIN & ICT ZAKAT ACEDEMY OF SELANGOR DEPUTY GM ( MANAGEMENT) TRUSTEES COMMITTEES DEPUTY GM ( OPERATION )
GM DEPARTMENT GENERAL MANAGER Legal Advisor Internal Audit Quality and Policy Economy Plannning
DEPT. OF DAKWAH & COLLECTION MANAGER ASS. MANAGER Divison Business Zakat Division Dakwah Division Employer Division Agent & Processing Unit Dakwah ( Propogate) Unit Promotion Unit Copt Sec. Unit Govn. Unit Prospective Unit Processing Collection Unit Collection Agent Unit Special Task Unit Copt Payer Unit Branch Support
DEPT. BRANCH OPERATION MANAGER West Territory South Territory East Territory 2 District 8 branches 3 District 5 Branches North Territory Devision Fitrah Affairs and FM Data Base 2 District 4 counter 2 District 3 counters
DEPT. F/M DEVELOPMENT MANAGER Divison Project Devpt Division Economy Devpt Unit Financing Unit Economy Project Unit Entrepreneur Unit Community Settlement Unit Community Centre & Welfate House ( Old Folks)
DEPT. DISBURSEMENT MANAGER Ass. Manager Devision General Service Devision Social Devpt Devision Religious Institution Devpt Devision Education Devpt
- Introducing policies where 50% of collection among universities staffs to be disbursed back to university group of qualified receipients.
( An average of RM 100 thousands per month per university )
41 Tax and Audit Firm – Scope Zakat on Business
3. APPOINTMENT OF COLLECTION AGENT
5.0 SALES FORCE . Staff with focus activity of doing sales & marketing . Defined market segmentation . Determined Key Behaviour for Success - How many prospects met - How many core activity done – appointments , briefing sessions for clients. - How many follow up activities - How many close deal of zakat payment . Performance base on quality and quantitative measurement - Target oriented culture - Introducing commision base staffs scheme - Customer retention programme -
6.0 PROMOTION . Promotion trough mass media and electronic - Buying advertisement slot in radio and tv during peak season - Buying slots in newspaper . Organizing programme with high news value . Sponsors of Giant billboard and banners . Schedule Campaign Programme - Distribution of pamphlet broshures house to house, supermarkets, mosques . Re Branding , re position category of zakat with launching ceremony
6.0 ACHIEVEMENTS IN ZAKAT COLLECTION RM 1.011 billion
PURELY INTERNAL SOURCE OF FINANCING ( PORTION OF AMIL = 1/8 FROM TOTAL COLLECTION ANNUALLY )
MODERATE EXPANSION OF BUSINESS ENTITY WITHIN AFFORDABLE CAPACITY.
3. RESERVED POLICY FOR FUTURE GROWTH ,SURVIVAL AND STAFF
BENEFITS REVISED FOR IMPROVEMENT
10. HUMAN CAPITAL - FOCUS . VARIOUS ACADEMIC BACKGROUND . ATTRACTIVE SALARY SCHEME TO ATTRACT SKILLED EXECUTIVES . ATTRACTIVE STAFF BENEFITS RESULT IN FEWEST TURNOVER . STAFF CARRIER DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME . GIVE PRIORITY TO INTELLECTUAL CAPITAL ( IDEAS , EXPERIENCE AND SPECIALISED KNOW HOW ) . ATTRACTIVE REWARD - CONTRACTUAL & PERFORMANCE BONUS - UMRAH PACKAGE FOR 9 YRS SERVICE - HAJ PACKAGE FOR 4 PAC A YEAR FOR SUPPORT STAFF AGE 40+ .STIMULATE KNOWLEDGE CULTURE - PROVIDE EDUCATION LOANS ( CONVERTIBLE ) QARD AL HASAN BASIS. - SPECIAL INCREAMENT - STUDY AND EXAM LEAVE
. 11.0 MANAGEMENT OF ZAKAT DISBURSEMENT – PURPOSE OF DISCLOSURE -FLOURISHING TRUST AMONG ZAKAT PAYERS HENCE ATTRACTED MORE NEW PAYER EVERY YEAR. -EVIDENCE OF TRANSPARENT. -CUSTOMER SATISFACTION. -VARIOUS PARTICIPATION FROM CONCERNED PUBLIC , NGOS , GOVERNMENT AGENCIES
12. 0 ULTIMATE POLICY "Zakat is for the poor, and the needy and those who are employed to administer and collect it, and the new converts, and for those who are in bondage, and in debt and service of the cause of Allah, and for the wayfarers, a duty ordained by Allah, and Allah is the All-Knowing, the Wise". AT TAUBAH : 60
THE RECIPIENTS OF ZAKAT FAKIR MISKIN AMIL MUALLAF RIQAB GHARIMIN FISABILILLAH IBNU SABIL The people in debt The bonds person The new converts to Islam Administrator of zakat The poor The needy In the path of Allah wayfarer
LZS PRIORITIZED AGENDA - AGAINST INHERITANCE OF POVERTY We identify them ..Know their needs
We give them better home, better food ..Give attention to the whole family needs … Concentrate more on their future generation … . Provide them with total education assistance untill higher institution … . For those who is competence send them to vocational and develop their entrepreneur skills
Then , we guide them , provide them with all possible assistance so in the end… They will no longer poor ‘ If you give them fish , they will eat only for a day, but if you teach them HOW TO FISH , they’ll eat for the rest of their days
19.0 LZS MANAGEMENT BEST PRACTICES 1.0 Guidelines and Conditions for Application of Zakat - More than 130 codes 2.0 Standard Operation procedures - 31 Procedures 3.0 Financial Manuals and Regulations - 15 manuals
For futher informations www.e-zakat.com.my Terima Kasih