Cooperative Purchasing for Texas Counties Steve Fisher, Program Manager, BuyBoard Texas Association of Counties Annual Conference Austin, August 16-18, 2006
- Statewide Cooperative (The Local Government Purchasing Cooperative).
- Created as administrative agency pursuant to Interlocal Cooperation Act, Chapter 791, Texas Government Code and a local cooperative association under Section 271 Local Government Code
- Sponsored by Texas Association of Counties, Texas Municipal League and Texas Association of School Boards.
- Coop governed by a eleven member Board of Trustees (6 school, 3 city, and 2 county)
- Currently represents around 1600 entities, (city, county, school, university, and special districts)
- Outside legal review was conducted in 2004 to review procedures and processes
- Over 6300 registered vendors and or manufacturers
- 25 general commodity groups
- Transaction fee of 2% charged to the vendor for all products except vehicles
- Flat fee per purchase order for vehicles:
- $400 for cars, light/medium and heavy duty trucks.
- All contracts are competitively procured according to Texas law following Local Government Code sections 252, 262 and 271 and Education Code 44.031
- Advertisements are placed in 10 newspapers from around the state
- Geographic options by designated boundaries
- Advertisements are placed in 10 newspapers throughout the state.
- Registered vendors receive notification via email and fax
- Proposals posted to the Internet
- Response is provided in hard copy, sealed envelopes
- Cooperative Board makes award
- Tabulations posted to the Internet
- Contract loaded on the BuyBoard
- Proposal/Bid Award Methodology
- Best value that includes cost, delivery, past performance, reputation, etc.
- Discount from catalog or list price
- Award made by manufacturer
- Benefits of Cooperative Purchasing
- Compliance with state laws
- Shortens procurement cycle
- Saves administrative costs
- Answer……..The BuyBoard is the combination of The Local Government Purchasing Cooperative and an Internet purchasing application.
- The Cooperative provides the legal mechanism utilizing Interlocal Agreements for entities to purchase goods and services jointly
- The BuyBoard provides the mechanism to share contract data via the Internet and automate the purchasing process
- Single source access to thousands of products from hundreds of vendors, all competitively bid.
- Defined security roles (Shopper, Purchaser, Approver, and Releaser).
- Entity established approval routes.
- Real time reporting and tracking of requisitions and purchase orders.
- Ability to integrate into financial systems.
- Request for quote (RFQ) option for volume purchases.
Commodities & Products
- Athletic, Physical Education Supplies and Equipment
- Audio Visual Equipment & Supplies
- Automotive Products and Supplies
- Building Maintenance, Repair and Operation Supplies and Equipment
- Computer/Technology/Software Supplies & Equipment
- Custodial Supplies & Equipment
- First Aid, Medical Supplies and Equipment
- Floor Covering & Sports Surfaces
- Food Services Supplies & Equipment
- Furniture- Office, School & Library
- General Construction/Road and Bridge Equipment
- Ground Maintenance Supplies and Equipment
- Instructional & Teaching Aids Supplies & Equipment
- Job Order Contracting & Underground Asset Renewal
- Library/Instructional Books and Supplies
- Music & Theater Supplies & Equipment
- Office Supplies and Equipment
- Paper- Copy, Computer & Office Paper Products
- Parks & Recreation Supplies and Equipment/Sports Lighting
- Permanent/Portable Modular Buildings, Ramp Systems
- Public Safety/Police/Fire/EMS Supplies & Equipment
- Public Works Supplies & Equipment
- Uniforms & Clothing Apparel
- Vehicles/Trucks/Buses & Trailers
- Water Treatment Supplies/Equipment
Cooperative Membership is Easy
- Interlocal Agreement is perpetual, never requires additional action
- Effective Sept 1, 2006 membership is free
Check out the BuyBoard.....
- Internet Address: WWW.BUYBOARD.COM
- Questions regarding the BuyBoard call: