Info needs of GPs are no different to those of PCT staff except they have little or no previous experience and are trying to learn while at the same as huge budget cuts.
Questions are no different to those asked by PCT staff/ commissioners Cant pretend things havent changed
Hot topics – Outcome based contracting Urgent care Self care/shared decision making GP consortia / CCGs Health & Wellbeing Boards
Mek sure people are aware of key documents or those which may support ongoing work - know about these cos I go to the meetings/ read the minutes Alerting services – difficult to keep up to date
Information needs of
Strategic Change Directorate
NHS Milton Keynes
Evidence support for commissioning…
– What evidence is there about….?
– What’s new?
– You should know about this…
What’s changed? (H&SC bill/ Public Health white paper)
– NHS reorganisation /Job security
– Systems and processes
What evidence is there about….?
• How is this done elsewhere?
– Service specifications, business cases and models already in
– Benchmarking, KPIs, outcomes
– Commissioning support resources (NICE, Royal Colleges,
• Will it work here?
– Summaries of evidence/ impact analysis
– Case finding studies
• Key topics
– Hot Topics – resource collections on current topics
References are not enough
• Attend the meetings and talk to people
• Understand the significance of particular
pieces of research / reports / case
studies / tools
• Highlight relevant sections
• Summarise if possible
– Resources you should know about
• Knowledge@lerts for Commissioners – fortnightly
email bulletin to commissioning staff & others
• FYI – emails to individuals/teams
• GP Briefing – supporting local CCG development
• Bulletins for key teams
– I need to keep up to date with….
• Key alerting services brought together on Quality
Commissioning Handbook for Librarians
• A live, collaborative, wiki based initiative developed by
information professionals across NHS England
• Organised to reflects the stages of the commissioning
• Section on Information needs of commissioners
• “Ask an Expert” – PCC initiative including LIS input –
putting library services up there with other
commissioning support services
The need for clarity in evidence based
commissioning. HSJ 26 May 2011 p23-25
“Using evidence is not an open
and shut case. Producing
evidence to aid commissioning
is not enough”