• What is a Topology ?
• The physical topology of a
network refers to the
configuration of cables,
computers and other
Types of Topologies
• Popular on LANs because they
are inexpensive and easy to
• Consists of a main run of cable
with a terminator at each end
• All computers and devices
connected to central cable or
• Primarily is used for LANs,
but also is used in WANs.
• Data travels from device to
device around entire ring, in
• Cable forms closed ring or
loop, with all computers and
devices arranged along ring.
• A network setup where each
computer and network device is
interconnected with one another.
• This topology is not commonly
used for most computer networks
as it is difficult and expensive.
• A tree topology combines the
characteristics of bus and star
• It consists of different groups of
computers attached in star topology.
• The groups are then connected to a
bus backbone cable.
• Tree topology is used for the
expansion of an existing network.
• A combination of two or more different
topologies makes a hybrid topology.
• One of the prominent advantages of this
topology is its flexibility
• Since different topologies come together
in a hybrid topology, managing the
topology becomes difficult.
• It is also very expensive to maintain.