One Definition of Leadership
• Leadership is the process of
– influencing others to understand and agree
about what needs to be done and how to do it,
– of facilitating individual and collective efforts
to accomplish shared objectives
–Adherence to “the plan”
“Trust is the glue of life. It's the most essential
ingredient in effective communication. It's the
foundational principle that holds all
Stephen R. Covey
Trust and Trustworthiness
• Based on
–Experience – Tough decisions and failure
–Empowered and Knowledgeable team
• Based on
Leadership in Times of Crisis
Following a crisis, leaders must assess the
following fundamental questions:
What are my people going through?
What is my organization going through?
What does this mean?
What can I do?
You Thought you had a plan, but….
• Depending upon the magnitude of the event
and upon varying stakeholders
– Your role may change
– The protocols may change
– The plan may change
Crisis Decision Making
Courageous Decisions – What must be
Priority Decisions – What must be done
Change Decisions – What must be done
Creative Decisions – What are the options?
Support Decisions – Who can help?
Understanding the Impact of Stress
Leadership during times
of stress and crisis
stress impacts people
Leadership in Times of Crisis – ACT!
• Acknowledge and name the situation
• Communicate pertinent information with
competence and compassion
• Transition to a future-focus, emphasizing
adaptive functioning and/or refer to
Vision (Understanding Corporate Needs)
Action (Plan to Facilitate Resiliency)
= Leadership in Times of Crisis
Leadership vs Management
• Management is about arranging and telling
• Leadership is about nurturing and enhancing.
(Thomas J. Peters)
• Management is about doing things right;
• Leadership is about doing the right things.
(Peter F. Drucker)
• The Challenge of Leadership is to be
–strong, but not rude;
–kind, but not weak;
–bold, but not bully;
–Thoughtful, but not lazy;
–humble, but not timid
–proud, but not arrogant
–humor(ous) but without folly
» Jim Rohn
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.