2. Students Online BrandAs students in urban areas we have to utilize all possible avenues to becompetitive when applying for Universities. We have to tackleadmission to Universities and Colleges as adults tackle employmentopportunities.Colleges and Universities are looking for more than just good gradesand great SAT score. They are looking for a well-rounded student thatwill be an effective and positive representation of their college orUniversity.One of the ways that you can represent yourself as such, is by usingSocial Media, which could allow potential Universities and Colleges tosee you beyond how you present yourself on a sheet of paper.
3. Negative Social Media can reﬂect very poorly and cansometimes eliminate your chance of entering into thecollege of your choice or even having your admissionwithdrawn AFTER YOU’VE BEEN ADMITTED. So it isvery important to present yourself in a positivemanner at all times.I am going to teach you how to create YOURBRAND; this will allow you to demonstrate your bestpossible image to those that need to see it. So youwill be BRANDING YOU. This will allow you to paintyourself as a very well rounded person that anyCollege or University would be proud to have as apart of their student body.
4. Create a Gmail & Yahoo account I will need you to create a Gmail Account and Yahoo account. This will only be used to promote YOUR BRAND. Use your name or something that sounds professional to create your accounts. You’ll want to stay away from nicknames, like BooBear@Gmail.com for instance. My name is Anise Smith so I would use AniseSmith@Gmail.com or something similar.
5. www.Gmail.com www.Yahoo.com
6. Create a Google Proﬁle http://www.google.com/proﬁles
7. Create a FREE GOOGLE Proﬁle, thisallows you to display information aboutyourself that presents YOUR BRAND in afavorable way. The Google proﬁle allowsyou to create an online presence aboutyourself that people or Universities wouldhave access to when they Google you.Notice that I said WHEN and not IF, mostpeople use Google as a research tool toﬁnd information about people. This is oneof the reasons that I am teaching you allthis.
8. Create a YouTube Channel http://www.YouTube.com
9. YouTube is the second most utilized searchengine after Google, and is in fact owned byGoogle. The goal here is to create a channelwith videos of yourself involved in schoolactivities, playing instruments, at the library,studying with your friends or similareducation based activity. If you do not have avideo camera see if any of your friends haveone and if they are willing to create a short 2minute video of you. You can return the favor.Also add education-based videos to yourchannel. Search YouTube for videos ofColleges, SAT Preparation, Advanced Studiesor any other education related videos.
10. Create a Flickr Account http://www.Flickr.com
11. Flicker is a Yahoo company so you can createthe Flickr account using the Yahoo emailaddress/account that you created earlier. Flickris the largest Photo Sharing website on theInternet. Take some pictures of yourself atschool sporting events, playing sports if youparticipate, at any volunteer events, take somepictures with you hanging out with friends atthe library, recreation center, and involved inadditional extracurricular activities. This is away to display yourself as more than just wordson a college application but to display what youlike, who you are and things that you enjoydoing. This presents a very well rounded imageto Universities. Also, people really LOVE tolook at pictures.
12. Create a Blogger Account http://www.Blogger.com
13. Create a very easy Blog/Website usingBlogger, which is also a Google company soyou will be able to create this using the Gmailaccount that you created earlier. TheBlogger account will allow you to write somethings about yourself, things you like to do,where you want to go to college, how youare doing in school, what sports teams youplay on in school and things about who youare personally. Share information about yourfamily, talk about family outings and having funwith your friends. What’s really great aboutBlogger is that you can write as often as youwant by creating different posts for differentevents. It’s like a journal, except that it is in anonline format. Another thing, you can addvideos from the YouTube Channel youcreated, and images from the Flickr accountto your Blog as well.
14. Your Facebook Page http://www.Facebook.com
15. Create a Facebook Pagehttp://www.Facebook.com/pages/create
16. Facebook, is very important in the creation ofYOUR BRAND. If you have a personalFacebook account make sure that everythingon your Facebook account is something thatyou use to make a positive impression. I willleave you with a step-by-step guide to helpyou set your privacy preferences on yourFacebook personal page to ensure that youare only displaying the most positiveinformation possible. Also create aFacebook Page/Community page, discussyour school life, your extra curricularactivities and your favorite subjects. Inviteyour friends that have educational similaritiesto LIKE your page.
17. Create an It’sMyURL’s Account http://www.ItsMyUrls.com
18. ItsMyURLS.com is a website thatallows you to integrate ALL of yoursocial media avenues and allows you touse one URL. So you can create oneUrl to be used on your collegeapplications to display your entireonline presence easily. So after youcreate these accounts create aItsMyUrls.com account and add all ofthese accounts to it.
19. All of these things when placetogether online allow you to presenta positive picture to Colleges andUniversities. This may increase yourchances of competing to get into thecollege of your choice.