1. L O N D O N O L YM P IC G A M E S 2 0 12The Origin of the OlympicGamesOlympic SymbolsOpening CeremonyMascotsSports and disciplines
2. next The Origin of The Olympic Games The games were held in Olympia from 776 BC. The athletes were all male citizens of the city-states from every corner of the Greek world, coming from as far away as Iberia (Spain) and the Black Sea (Turkey). The Games were held in Olympia every 4 years for almost 12 centuries. Additional athletic events were gradually added until the religious festival consisted of a five-day program. The athletic events included: 3 foot races (stadion, diaulos, and dolichos) as well as theThe ancient Olympic Games were primarily a pentathlon (five contests: discus,part of a religious festival in honor of Zeus, javelin, long jump, wrestling, and footthe father of the Greek gods and goddesses. race), pugme (boxing), pale (wrestling), pankration, and the hoplitodromos. Additional events, were added throughout the course of
3. nextOLYMPIC SYMBOLSThe five Olympic rings represent the five continents involved in the Olympics and were designed in 1912, adopted in 1914 and debuted at the 1920 Antwerp Olympics.The Olympic Flame or Olympic Torch is a symbol of the Olympic Games. Commemorating the theft of fire from the Greek god Zeus by Prometheus, its origins lie in ancient Greece, where a fire was kept burning throughout the celebration of the ancient Olympics
4. nextOpening CeremonyThe eyes of the world will be on London on Receiving the Head of State of 27 July 2012 for the Opening Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games. The the Host Country Ceremony will mark the beginning of the XXXth Olympiad. It will provide an Parade of Athletes opportunity for the world to view the artistic expression of Danny Boyle and Speeches his team, and the culture of our Host City and the UK. Playing the Olympic Anthem and the entry and raising of the Olympic FlagThere are certain elements that must feature Oaths in every Olympic Games Opening Ceremony, as outlined in the The Torch and lighting of the International Olympic Committees (IOC) Olympic Charter: Cauldron
5. next MASCOTSWenlock and Mandeville are animations depicting two drops of steel from a steelworks in Bolton
6. StartSPORTS AND DISCIPLINESThe London 2012 Olympic Games will feature 26 sports, which break down into 39 disciplines.