View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
White symbolizes ice and snow and
red symbolizes the sun.
• Eskimos/Inuits live in Greenland.
• A person from Greendland is called
• The capital of Greenland is Nuuk.
•Language. They speak greenlandic
• Food. They like raw meat (fish, reindeer,
seal,…). The national dish is called
Suaasat, that is a soup made of seal,
whale, reindeer, seabirds and some
vegetables and rice.
• Animals. Polar bear, caribou, musk ox, arctic fox, arctic
wolf, arctic hare, different types of whales (humpback,
beluga, bowhead, narwhal,…) and seals; ermine, lemming.
•Plants. The national flower is called Niviarsaq, which
means “young woman”. Other plants: dwarf juniper,
angelica, betula pubescens (birch), wild blueberry, orchids,…
•House. Igloo. It’s made of ice.
They are nomads, moving to
different places depending on
the season and the animals (hunt).
In Summer, they build houses made
of sticks and animal skin.
• Family. They used to be polygamous
(marry several men or women). They’ve
got several children.
• Clothes. They wear anoraks and parkas
(they invented them), that is, coats made
of animals skin like seals, foxes, caribouses
and polar bears. They also wear skin boots
and eyeshields (sunglasses) to protect
themselves from the sun and the ice.
Greetings. The inuits rub their nose to say
• Sports. National sports are football and
• Weather. It’s freezing in winter and cold
• Currency. It’s the Danish Krone.
• Jobs. Inuit men are animal hunters and
fishers. (Primary sector). Inuit women are
housewives who cook and take care of
children, and dressmakers, that is, they sew
skins to make clothes.
•Monuments: Hans Egede’s statue.
Hans Egede was a lutheran
missionary who founded the city of
Nuuk in 1.728.
Geography. The Watkins range is Greenland's highest
mountain range, with massive ice-covered peaks and
exposed cliffs. The highest mountain is Gunnbjørn Fjeld
(3.694m); Others: Dome (Qaqqaq Kershaw) (3.682m);
There are lots of glaciers like the Elephant Foot.
We can also find the Birthday Canyon and the Blue River.
• Famous people:
Explorer Anders Hove
• Religion. They believe in spiritual forces and several gods
like Sedna (goddess that controls the sea mammals and
human reproduction) or Sila (goddess who is the spirit of
the wind and controls the time of hunting). Greenlanders are
mainly Evangelical Lutheran.
Erik the Red
He was exiled from
Iceland and, after crossing
the Atlantic Ocean, he
found a land that he called
Means of Transport. They usually go by
sleigh (on snow) and kayak (on water) or
on foot (snowshoes) .
• Greenlander Music. The Greenland
National Anthem is called “Nunarput
utoqqarsuanngoravit” (Our old country). The
music style of Greenland is Rock-Country.
• Greenland is the biggest island in the world.
• Inuits came from Asia. They look like mongolian and they are
•They put caribou skin on the floor inside the igloo
to be warmer.
• It’s hot in the igloo since they burn seal and whale
oil in lamps to heat up and light up the house and
• Kayak means “clothes to walk on the water” or
• They are very generous and helpful.
• They made maps carving wood figures showing
the coasts of Greenland.
• They build tunnels to go out of the igloo since
they close the door to keep the house warm. They
leave their clothes in the tunnels.