This document is a “distilled” version of the much larger report that Analysys Mason and IAMAI have prepared. The detailed report is available for purchase on IAMAI’s website – www.iamai.in and is an in-depth guide to each of the specific sub-segments within the mobile value added services ecosystem.
This summarised version of the report covers the following areas: The Indian mobile VAS opportunity, policy and market enablers, key trends in the mobile VAS industry in India, key growth areas in services and applications and mobile VAS industry growth forecasts
The key takeaways from this report summary are as follows:
• The Indian non-voice market is at an inflexion point, and the growth opportunity remains significant
• Similar to other mobile-first markets, mobile internet (handset plus dongles / CCDs) will drive growth in non-voice revenues while traditional services stabilize
• However, various market and policy enablers are required in on-deck VAS, off-deck VAS and SMS channels to realize this growth opportunity
• From a market perspective, a self-regulating body for settling issues between market participants can be an effective way to address on-deck challenges
• From a policy perspective, we believe that following a model of market determined revenue share with no special VAS license is the best route
• We recommend establishing an agency under the direction of TRAI to help address off-deck adoption issues and facilitate the allocation and management of a central short code registry system
• It is also recommended that a common standard for local language characters should be mandated on all handsets sold in India to facilitate growth in SMS
• Resolution of above issues also becomes imperative for maintaining market efficiency and balance of power in the evolving VAS value chain
• Among the emerging services, we believe that mobile commerce and utility services will have a significant social impact
• Finally, we believe that mobile internet adoption will result in a proliferation of data enabled services and applications around video, advertising, community, entertainment and enterprise mobility
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.