1. We use the SIMPLE PAST to talk about actionsthat started and finished at a specific time in thepast.So, different adverbs of time are used: yesterday, last mont, last week last year, etc.
2. It is important to remember there are two typesof verbs:REGULAR and... IRREGULAR
3. REGULAR VERBSFor Regular verbs the simple past is formed byadding "ed" at the end of the verb: verb + ed = simple past Play played walk walked Listen listened Watch watched
4. IRREGULAR VERBSIrregular verbs dont form the past tense byadding -ed.They suffer a change in the spelling, so...you have to memorize them! Go – went Eat – ate Read – read etc.
5. The most important irregular verb is the verb"TO BE" SIMPLE PRESENT SIMPLE PAST I am I was You are You were He/she/it is He/she/it was We are We were You are You were They are They were am / is was are were
6. NEGATIVE FORMThe negative form of the simple past is formed by the auxiliary"didnt" and the verb in its infinitive form: SUBJECT + DIDNT + VERB (infinitive) Examples: I didnt go to the cinema yesterday. You didnt phone me. She didnt play baseball last month.
7. AFFIRMATIVE NEGATIVEYesterday I played football Yesterday I didnt play footballLast week she had a party Las week she didnt have a partyLast month we went to Last month we didnt go toEngland EnglandThey arrived at ten oclock They didnt arrive at ten oclock Here you have more examples
8. Now... take your computer and lets practice!
9. Put the verbs into the correct form (simple past).1. It (be) ____ great.2. I (travel) _____ around by car with two friends and we (visit)_____ lots of interesting places.3. In the evenings we usually (go) _____ to a pub. 4. We (be) ___ lucky with the weather. 5. It (not / rain) ______ a lot. 6. We (not /see) ______any rainbows.
10. 7. I (not / cook) ________ so we (go) _____ out for dinner.8. The sun (not / shine ) _____ that day.9. I (not / hear) ______ you when you (arrive) ______ at home.10. She (not / like) _____ rice, so she (eat) ___ sausages. 11. We (are) _____ in the restaurant when the waiter (shout) _______.
11. ...now, continue working with the activities in the class English blog!