• “Polis” comes from the word politics.• Polis is a city state.• One example of a polis is Athens.• Athens was the urban area of Attica, and many more.
• Pericles was the one who declared that Athens was a democracy.• Pericles was the leader for 30 years.• In 510 B.C. Athens created the first democracy.• 500 names were drawn each year to declare the citizens of Athens.
• Those who chosen served for 1 year as the law makers of Athens.• The government ran on public officials.• It took radical measures to limit the officials powers.
• Those citizens who were willing to serve in a certain office put their names in.• For a short period of time, everyone was willing to take an active part in the government.
• The first attempt to becoming a democracy began under Solon in 594 B.C., but his effort at instituting a constitutional democracy soon fell.• A man named Peistratus replaced it with a repressive sligarchy.
• Citizens had more rights in Greece city states than any others.• Women were undemocratic because women had no voice in government.• Only Women,children,and slaves could not vote.
• Athenian democracy was chosen at random.• The Athenian communities were split into 10 tribes.• Each tribe chose 50 citizens.• These citizens made up the senate.
• Only males who were of Athenian birth could vote.• About 30,000 out of 250,000 men can vote.• A new president was chosen every 24 hours.