Introducing AWS OpsWorks
Sr. Product Manager
Vários Tutoriais , treinamentos e mentoria em
Inscreva-se agora !!
Application Management Challenges
• Your app’s reliability and scalability are really important.
• The operational tasks needed to keep it running smoothly take time…
• As your app grows, routine operational tasks can become even more
time-consuming and error-prone.
• Don’t want to trade off control or flexibility for ease of use.
Once upon a time…
This is what we want…
In today’s infrastructure, everything is code…
from the applications developers are writing, to your
configuration management tools, to provisioning
resources with AWS CloudFormation templates.
Introducing AWS OpsWorks
• Integrated application management solution for ops-minded
developers and IT admins
• Model, control, and automate applications of nearly any scale
• AWS Management Console, SDKs, or CLI
• No additional cost
Why Use AWS OpsWorks?
Easy to use,
and time with
• Scalable infrastructure
• Flexible architecture
• Deploy often
• Staging environments
AWS OpsWorks gives us the tools we need
to automate operations.
We can scale Monster World, one of the
largest Facebook games, to millions of users
without ever needing more than two
head of engineering
• Versioned config
• Control anything you can script
• Lock down console access
• Change and deployment logs
Crashlytics uses AWS OpsWorks to support
the rapid growth of our mobile crash
With AWS OpsWorks, we can focus on the
development and growth of our service and
not spend developer cycles on
infrastructure and operational tasks.
CEO of Crashlytics
We are an information literacy company.
What is information literacy? Well..
Learning how to not plagiarize. (On average, 3.8 instances of
plagiarism per paper - Tii study)
Knowing what sources to use in research (not Wikipedia or
Learning how to find and evaluate academic, peer-reviewed
content (Google Scholar > Google)
It’s not just students who plagiarize:
Pal Schmitt, former president of
German education minister
Jayson Blair (former New York Times
Jonah Lehrer, journalist and author
Yes! Understanding and crediting information is very important.
• EasyBib is an citation management platform. 40 million students
use EasyBib every year. Over 1000 institutions subscribe,
including 100 large US universities and 900 high schools and
• Different environments (dev, staging, production).
• HAProxy load balancers.
• Shared nothing PHP application servers.
• Various workers (Gearman).
• Lots of RDS, some ElastiCache.
• Since …November 2010.
• Manage roles (e.g. load balancers, application
servers, various worker instances).
• Embrace OpsCode Chef to have identical
bootstrapping for all environments — dev (Vagrant),
• Enable people to always deploy!
• Automated cloud deployment does not have to be
• It’s true – it’s the cloud – things can go wrong
• If an app doesn’t deploy properly, your current code
• Log file access
• Easy to update (recipes, git tags, svn, etc.)
• Straight-forward: replace “scalarium” with
• Used the opportunity to move on role-based recipes
to be able to version roles in GIT.
DeployCode Build Test Provision Monitor
Check in – Build & Test Tests pass – Deploy
Software Config & Deployment Options
AWS Application Management Services
Elastic Beanstalk OpsWorks CloudFormation EC2
Higher-level services Do it yourself
What we’re going to show in the demo…
A stack represents
applications that you
want to manage
A layer defines how
to set up and
configure a set of
instances and related
Then deploy your
app to specific
Decide how to scale:
manually, with 24/7
load-based or time-
What is Chef and how does OpsWorks use it
• Chef is an open-source framework
that automates software deployment
• Whenever a change happens on
your stack, or upon request, all
instances are notified and recipes
What’s next for AWS OpsWorks?
• More integration with AWS resources (Chef 11 and custom AMIs just shipped)
• More layers
• Deeper VPC integration (beyond today’s support for the default VPC)
• And more! Give us your feedback in the OpsWorks forums.
• Use OpsWorks to improve:
• For more information, please visit us at http://aws.amazon.com/opsworks