1. Real-Time Web Analytics On Amazon Web Services @TheDeveloper Google Campus February 2013
2. Real-time web analytics
3. James Taylor Geoﬀ Wagstaﬀ James GillDeveloper + Co-founder CTO + Co-founder CEO + Co-founder
5. In 2009, our Server melted.
6. Conventional Hosting• Contractual lock-in. Fixed term subscription• Laborious and slow to provision resources• Restricted• Dedicated, but not bespoke• Boring
7. Business constraints• Experimental technology• Agility• Low budget• Inexperience• High barrier to entry in market
8. GET TO THE CLOUD!!!11!!one!
9. Why AWS? CloudWatch CloudFront StorageGateway S3 EC2 VPC CloudFormation Diverse + growing range of services RDS Data Pipeline DynamoDB SES SNS SWF SQS Glacier ElasticBeanstalk IAM Route53RedShift CloudSearch ElastiCache ElasticTranscoder
10. Why AWS?Flexible & Scalable
11. Why AWS?Pay-as-you-use Pricing
12. Why AWS?Platform agnostic
13. Why AWS?Reputable
14. Challenges• Daunting. Requires new skills and role changes• More moving parts• Architecting for cloud• Deployment - resources, software, data• Automation - scaling, failover, backup
15. Advantages• Full control - freedom, bespoke• Fosters good system design paradigms & avoids complacency• Abundant tools, services, community + documentation• Lowered barriers to entry: infrastructure for anyone• Reduced time to market