1. Agenda1. What is AWS Elastic Beanstalk?2. How do you use Elastic Beanstalk?3. What does Elastic Beanstalk cost?4. How does Elastic Beanstalk work?5. Demo6. Q&A
2. 1. W HAT IS AWS E LASTIC BEANSTALK ? Easy to begin and impossible to outgrow. An even easier way for developers to quickly deploy and manage applications in the AWS cloud.• Upload applications to AWS in minutes• Retain control and ability to “open the hood”
3. HOW DO YOU GET STARTED WITH ELASTICBEANSTALK ? Developers simply upload their application. Elastic Beanstalk handles the rest! Provisions AWS resources, creates a run-time environment, launches the app, provides monitoring and scaling.
4. W HO SHOULD USE AWS E LASTIC BEANSTALK ?Java developers with web applications targeting the familiar Apache Tomcat software stack.• Elastic Beanstalk is designed so that it can be extended to support multiple development stacks and programming languages in the future.• AWS is actively working with solution providers on the APIs and capabilities needed to create additional Elastic Beanstalk offerings.
5. HOW DOES ELASTIC BEANSTALK DIFFER FROM OTHERCONTAINERS ? Developers retain ownership and full control over their AWS resources.• Easily adjust configuration settings such as EC2 instance type, EC2 security group, load balancer, auto-scaling, and availability zones.• Use any database solution including Amazon RDS, Amazon SimpleDB, Microsoft SQL Server, or Oracle.• Root access to the underlying EC2 instances.• Run other application components, such as a memory caching service, side- by-side in Amazon EC2.• Easily move your application out of Elastic Beanstalk.
6. AWS E LASTIC BEANSTALK F EATURES1. Automated Provisioning of load balanced, auto-scaled EC2 fleets.2. Automated Version Deployment including rollback.3. Managed Environment Settings such as key pairs, security groups, availability zones, EC2 instance types, and load balancer and auto-scaling rules.4. Built-in Monitoring and Notifications on application health and other important events.5. Basic Log File Rotation to Amazon S3 and access log file snapshots without logging into the instances .6. Easy Troubleshooting with root access, single click application server restarts or rebuild an environment.
7. 2. HOW DO YOU USE ELASTIC BEANSTALK?Four ways to use Elastic Beanstalk:1. AWS Management Console2. AWS Toolkit for Eclipse3. Command Line Tools4. SDKs and API access
8. ELASTIC BEANSTALK FEATURES AN AWSMANAGEMENT CONSOLE Application Versions Environment
9. AWS T OOLKIT FOR ECLIPSE SUPPORTS ELASTIC BEANSTALKDevelopers can work directly from their IDE usingthe AWS Toolkit for Eclipse• Easily create new AWS Java Web projects, pre-configured with the AWS SDK for Java.• Try out Travel Log Sample Application.• Deploy to Elastic Beanstalk environments.• Manage Environment Configurations.
10. ELASTIC BEANSTALK PROVIDES CLI AND API ACCESS SDKs available: • Java • PHP • .NET
11. 4. W HAT DOES AWS E LASTIC BEANSTALK COST? No additional charge.Pay only for the AWS resources used (e.g. EC2, S3, etc.). The default settings for Elastic Beanstalk allow a low traffic application to run within the AWS free tier.
12. 5. H OW DOES AWS E LASTIC BEANSTALK W ORK? Create Upload Launch ManageApplication Version Environment Environment •Deploy Versions http://myapp.elasticbeanstalk.com •Edit Configuration •Monitor Health •View Logs •Restart App Server Auto Scaling •Rebuild Infrastructure •Terminate
13. W HAT IS RUNNING ON THE EC2 INSTANCE ? Versions Application Versions Environments Versions myapp-integration.elasticbeanstalk.com Amazon S3 myapp_v3.war Elastic Load Balancer optional: log filesAuto-Scaling Group Amazon EC2 Instance(s) Elastic Beanstalk Host Manager Apache (Web Server) Tomcat (App Server) myapp_v3.war Amazon Linux AMI
14. USING AWS E LASTIC BEANSTALK AUTOMATICALLY SIGNS YOU UP FOR ALL AWS S ERVICESSeamless first use experience for the customer!Elastic Beanstalk automatically signs you up for all the services that you may need, in order to streamline the process.
15. 5. D EMONSTRATION1. Launch a new application.2. Upload and deploy a new version.3. View environment configuration.
16. 6. Q&AThank you.For more informationhttp://aws.amazon.com/elasticbeanstalkhttp://aws.amazon.com/documentation/elasticbeanstalk/