1. EDTC 6332PRACTICUM IN EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY BY: ALFONSO ALMEIDA SUMMER I/ 2012 PROJECT PROPOSAL
2. 1 Project Proposal Performance Problem Local Native Spanish Speakers (NSS) are reluctant to learn the English Language at certain age (Over 50), due to consider the second language acquisition task impossible to accomplish, due to the lack of opportunities in order to get qualified language instructors. The performance gap between beginners and intermediate English Language Learners (ELL) is enormous, some local NSS do not perceive the “need” to learn another language, because in the Rio Grande Valley (RGV) 90% of the locals are Spanish speakers. Some of these adults hold academic degrees: doctors, accountants, lawyers, and managers. Some of them are qualified technicians; most of them have certain English basic background. The local NSS don’t even want to try to speak English.
3. 2 Evidence and supported materials to support my proposal: http://www.magazine.org/ASSETS/C0724E188C664BE88305971FE6BBCD80/MPAHispMktPro.pdf http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/48000.html http://faculty.lacitycollege.edu/igoudial/research/AdultESLMotivation.pdf Project Proposal : Word Document: http://almeidaedtc6332.pbworks.com/w/file/54975132/EDTC6332_Proposal_Revised.docx
4. 3 Viable Solution Develop an English course designed to help Adult NSS to grasp the English Language by using the students’ background in Spanish, and stimulate the communication process in the new language. Enhance the students’ communication skills by using Metacognition: knowledge about when and how to use particular strategies for learning or for problem solving. Solution 1 Solution 2 Description of the solution Use Cognate words and Grammar syntax in L1. New English Vocabulary and basic Speech training. Internal (personal) strengths in relation to the solution Bilingual to Spanish, Business Major. Technology specialist, computer savvy and strong psychological skills. Internal (personal) weaknesses in relation to the solution Too optimistic, stubborn, and sometimes I believe that everybody is capable to achieve goals that are not available for everyone I am not certified to teach a second language (Not yet).
5. 4 External (environmental) opportunities in relation to the solution The opportunities to speak a second language in the area are many, and the locals can help and correct the Ells when necessary. There are many opportunities to practice the learned lessons in the area. External (environmental) threats in relation to the solution When the student is not comfortable, most likely he/she is going to quit the course. When the student doesn’t get the expected results, most likely she/he is going to stop trying to speak the second language for good. Your chosen solution Incorporate the students’ background in L1, adding New Vocabulary, cognates and grammar syntax in L1. Reasons The student knows how to form tenses already; cognates are similar words that are used in both languages (over 40%). The introduction to a new English vocabulary (Intermediate) will help the students to learn more about L2. With the new instruction the students will be capable to use English idioms in his/hers new English conversational vocabulary.
6. 5 Deliverables I am considering delivering instruction via URL to include my MP4’s and MP3’s, but due to the students’ limitations, I believe that creating a “CD” including 15 lessons will be sufficient to deliver the instruction. (In order to support the instruction, I am going to hyperlinked all the lessons in a URL, so the students can visit the site in order to go over the lessons). English Vocabulary Salutation At Home At the Market At the market At public places Cognates False Cognates Same Spelling Different Spelling Similarities 70% relations SPA/ENG English Idioms Usual Idioms Idiomatic expressions Idiomatic Thoughts Idiomatic expression (examples) Idiomatic conversations.
7. 6 Instructional Goal and Objectives Goal Terminal Objective Enabling Objective Goal Statement Adult Ells will learn conversational English by using their L1 background. Target audience: (Adults/ELLs/>50). English Language learners who hold a professional degree, and are aged over 50 years old. Group: 5 individuals. Terminal Objective 1 New English Vocabulary The student will speak English with Native English Speakers in different places. Enabling Objective 1.1 Salutation Enabling Objective 1.2 At home Enabling Objective 1.3 At the office Enabling Objective 1.4 At the Market Enabling Objective 1.5 At Public Places Terminal Objective 2
8. 7 Cognates The student will recognize new English vocabulary while reading. Enabling Objective 2.1 Cognates SPA-ENG 70% Enabling Objective 2.2 False Cognates Enabling Objective 2.3 Same Spelling Enabling Objective 2.4 1 extra letter. Enabling Objective 2.5 Different Spelling Terminal Objective 3 English Idioms The student will apply new Language communication skills in his/hers English conversations. Enabling Objective 3.1 English Idioms Enabling Objective 3.2 Idiomatic Thoughts Enabling Objective 3.3 Idiomatic expressions Enabling Objective 3.4 Idiomatic conversations Enabling Objective 3.5 Idioms in action
9. 8 Action Plan Objective Activity Technology Assessment Terminal Objective 1 The student will be able to speak conversational English at the intermediate level. Deliver the lesson in L1, introducing the lesson planner, and explain the objectives. (New Vocabulary) CD-ROM 1 quiz per module (3 modules). Enabling Objective 1.1 The student will use new skills in order to communicate properly. Salutation A Chart with over 10 different English conversations. MP3 Enabling Objective 1.2 The student will apply new skills in different environments. (context). At home: A Chart with practical examples of English conversation. MP3
10. 9 Enabling Objective 1.3 The student will apply new skills in different environments. (context). At the Office: A Chart with meaningful English conversations. MP3 Enabling Objective 1.4 The student will apply new skills in different environments. (context). At the market: A Chart with graphic examples of different products, and samples of business English dialogs. MP3 Enabling Objective 1.5 The student will apply new skills in different environments. (context). At Public Places: A Chart with possible conversations at places such as: museums, art galleries, at the movies etc. MP3 Terminal Objective 2 The student will be able to recognize cognate words. Cognates MP4 Enabling Objective 2.1 The student will recognize new vocabulary. 70% Spa-Eng Cognates MP4
11. 10 Enabling Objective 2.2 The student will recognize new vocabulary. False Cognates MP4 Enabling Objective 2.3 The student will identify differences between similar words. Cognates (same Spelling) MP4 Enabling Objective 2.4 The student will compare different words. Cognates ( one more/less letter) MP4 Enabling Objective 2.5 The student will evaluate differences. Cognates (different spelling) MP4 Quiz 2
12. 11 Terminal Objective 3 The student will identify new dialogs. English Idioms Enabling Objective 3.1 The student will define new expressions. Idiomatic expressions PPT Enabling Objective 3.2 The student will distinguish and interpret different ideas. Idiomatic Thoughts PPT Enabling Objective 3.3 The student will apply new communication skills. Idiomatic Conversations PPT Enabling Objective 3.4 The student will produce new conversations applying new skills. Incorporate Idiomatic expressions in your English vocabulary. PPT Enabling Objective 3.5 The student will choose between different options in order to project new English vocabulary. Idioms in action MP4 Quiz 3
13. 12 Timeline Week Vocabulary Cognates English Idioms Quizzes 1 Salutation Cognates 70% English Idioms 2 At home False Cognates Idiomatic thoughts Q1 3 At the office Same spelling Idiomatic Expressions
14. 13 4 At the market Different spelling (1 letter) Idiomatic conversations Q2 5 At public places Same letters different spelling. Idioms in action. Q3 Quiz 1 Multiple choice: select the best response to the given dialog. Quiz 2 True/False Select the best answer to the given question. Quiz 3 Multiple Choice, Matching: Select the best response.