2. Introduction… Android is an open source platform developed under the open handset alliance to enable faster development of mobile applications and provisions of services to the users. Google is the leading company to develop and promote android, however there are other companies as well who are involved in the development of android.
3. What is Android??? Android is a software stack. Android = operating system + middleware + key applications
4. Uses unix programming language/ kernel based on linux. Supports large number of applications, which run on Dalvik Run time engine. Uses ARM architecture.Fig 1: Android Basics
5. History Of Android
6. PaloAlto, Andy, Rich Android Inc Open Handset Beta SDKminer, Nick and was acquired Alliance was was Chris founded by Google formed released Android. 12 2003 2005 5 Nov’07 Nov’07Beginning of Android…
7. From then on there have been several changes…
8. 1.5 Cupcake 30 April 2009 Based on linux kernel 2.6.271.6 DonutSDK Based on linux kernel 2.6.29 15 September 20092.0 EclairSDK Based on linux kernel 2.6.29 October 2009 2.2 Froyo Based on linux kernel 2.6.32 20 May 2010 2.3Gingerbread Released on 6 December 2010 3.0Honeycomb Released on 10 May 20114.0 IceCream Released on 18 October 2011 Sandwich
9. Fig 2: Versions of Android
10. The latest version is 4.0Icecream sandwich.• It combines the best of the android 2x phone interface with android 3x phone interface.• Easy multitasking, customizable home screens, customizable widgets.
11. Android Architecture
12. Fig 3: Android Architecture
13. Application All applications are written using the java programming language. Core applications include –  Email client  SMS program  calendar  Maps  Browser  Contacts etc.
14. Application Framework Underlying all applications is a set of services and systems, including:  Views  Content providers  Resource manager  Notification manager  Activity manager
15. Libraries Includes a set of C/C++ libraries used by various components of the android system. Some of the core libraries are System C library, Media library, surface manager, libWebcore, SGL, 3D libraries, Freetype, SQLite.
16. Android Runtime Every android application runs in its own process, with its own instance of the Dalvik Runtime machine. Dalvik has been written so that a device can run multiple VMs efficiently.
17. Linux kernel Android relies on Linux version 2.6 for core system services such as security, memory management, process management, network stack, and driver model.
18. Android has many amazing and unique features that are ofsignificance to developers and users
19.  Application Framework that enables reuse and replacement of components Dalvik virtual machine optimised for mobile devices Open source WebKit engine based integrated web browser
20.  Optimized Graphics that is powered by customized 2D graphics library and 3D graphics based on the OpenGL ES 1.0 specification SQLite for structured data storage GSM Telephony
21.  Media Support for common video, audio, and still image formats. Provision of Bluetooth, EDGE, 3G and Wi-Fi Camera, GPS, Compass, and Accelerometer (dependent on hardware support)
22. What makes Android different?? Android is open-source. Complete smartphone software stack, free of charge.
23. Advantages of Android. The google’s android platform provides the ability to be customized by anyone Provides a wide range of mobile applications. Innovative maps of android will provide users with any information they maybe in need of.
24. Disadvantages of android Since Google Android is an open source platform driving all Android phones, it could significantly increase the risk of hacking these devices. If this happens, then locking mobiles as a security measure will be a mockery.
25. Android vs Ios Customization and Widgets: Android has the ability to create shortcuts to contacts right on the home screen. Multitasking: Android performs multitasking. It lets you see more apps on one screen.
26. Steve Jobs threat!!! Apple Inc founder Steve Jobs threatened to destroy Android saying it was a stolen product and that he would go thermonuclear war on this. Tension between the two companies escalated as Google used the Android operating system to follow Apple into the growing market for smartphones.
27. What makes android different?? Android operating system is open source. Therefore, it is legal and possible for you to modify the entire Operating System to work the way you want it to. However, to call it different from others because of “openness” can be debatable.