Energy Treasure Hunting
Energy Saving “Treasure Hunt” QuickTime™ and a
TIFF (Uncompressed) decompressor
are needed to see this picture.
An important goal of Green Campus
Generation of measurable energy
• Each machine equivalent to
spotlight on 24/7 (120W)
• 10 machines in two locations
• Detects movement and powers
• After 15 minutes of inactivity
the machine powers down
• Used frequently with Vending
Depot Audit Findings
Arcade Energy Consumption
• Six machines In Use
• ~1,750 kWh savings potential per
16 week semester
Traffic Issues with Sensor
• Misers are typically mounted in
the back of machines facing out
• High traffic
• Significant savings reduction
Important Issue Before Trial
• Machines not owned by
• Permission by Rendezvous
• PVC mount built
HEY PROSPECTIVE GAMERS! These arcade machines are equipped with an
energy saving device. To turn on the machines, simply swipe your hand in
• Sign made to notify gamers front of the motion sensor between machines. If you plan on playing a while,
be sure to reload the juice by swiping your hand at least once every 15
minutes. Thanks for helping us save energy.
of operation GOOD LUCK ON YOUR GAME!!!
*if you have any questions about this project or would like to know more about the Green
Campus Program, please email us at GreenCampusHSU@gmail.com
Where to Buy Misers
Efficiency Data & Development
Cell (510) 459-9683
Savings per Miser
• Savings per miser each
semester with same usage:
470 kWh, or $70 (78% cost)
• Payback for misers: 21
Right for My University?
Maybe, Maybe Not
• Owners may not be OK
with the machines
• loss of
• Studies show no $ loss
from soda machines
• Misers can be used on vending machines and most
• We are fortunate to have the resources to implement
our own ideas to save energy and gain valuable
experience in creative problem solving!
• “Make as many mistakes as fast as possible”
This project has reduced
arcade machine consumption
dramatically with a fast, cheap
and easy solution.
There are opportunities everywhere
to reduce your campus’ energy
consumption. Public domain
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.