JOB TITLE Grants Strategy Manager
DEPARTMENT Finance for Business
REPORTS TO Grants for Business Manager
GRADE B Upper, Role Profile (P&D Job Family)
JOB PURPOSEopment Role 4
To create, maintain and develop a strategy for the provision of grant based support
packages, filling product gaps identified previously within the market for business
support. The purpose being to deliver significant strategic impacts to the future shape
of business finance support offered by the Agency to regional businesses. To
contribute to the wider Finance for Business strategy and develop products and
services to meet current and future business needs, whilst reducing a grant
dependency culture, reflecting the particular stages of the business lifecycle.
Responsible for developing and delivering specific grant products and co-ordinating
and influencing a diverse range of stakeholders on the long-term strategy of business
grants. The role would extend to cover a full understanding of financial products in
addition to grants.
Head of Finance
Grants for Finance for
Delivery Grants Strategy Due Diligence Finance Strategy
Manager x3 Manager Manager x2 Manager
Manager x2 Manager
• Provide long-term strategic direction for range of business grants (across the whole
range of grants available in UK, European and International), providing input into
the Finance for Business strategy
• Act as the agency’s lead on product strategy development for business grants
including capital expenditure and research and development
• Select, develop and asses different methods of grants intervention as part of a
wider funding package and business support solution
• Engagement, co-ordination and integration with a wide range of stakeholders in the
public and private sector to persuade and influence product strategy development
to address market gaps that require grant intervention
• To develop close understanding of customer needs by working with directorate,
cluster organisations and the private sector i.e. financial institutions to challenge
and influence national strategy
• Working within a team environment with an overall budget of £20m per annum,
influencing budget spend and identifying requirements in future provision
• To be responsible for the creation, development and maintenance of the Agency
strategy for grant based business products which will dovetail into the wider
Finance for Business Strategy. Delivering a step change in the quality, scope and
variety of practical grant based business support in the region.
• Develop and maintain a network of business, private and public sector stakeholders
to inform and develop future business finance support. Work with customers to
understand their business needs including barriers to start-up and growth and how
public intervention can support NW businesses
• To develop and enhance business grant schemes to ensure that customers,
intermediaries, partner organisations, IOD, CBI etc. needs are met by developing
an evidence base. Ensure access to publicly-funded business support is simple for
business to access and links to alternative private sector finance support.
• Maintain in-depth market knowledge on a range of public and private business
finance products/services, ensuring that you are at the leading edge of policy
thinking, and proactively identifying emerging policy agendas, interpreting
opportunities and implications for E&S. Identify and cascade best practice for grants
/ business finance solutions from other agencies across E&S, the Agency and
relevant external partners
• Evaluate impact of business finance support, which includes grants, ensuring
alignment to RES and Business Support Simplification. To identify and decisively
resolve key issues and opportunities which impact on the finance for business
• To work with E&S Directorate to ensure that business needs and grant provision is
closely aligned to E&S strategy, including business support and skills development
i.e. clarify how business finance interrelates to other strategies e.g. skills,
enterprise, sectors, environment and internationalisation
• Be the source of expertise for the Business Grant strategy and provide effective
dissemination of product strategy within E&S, NWDA, Business Link and other
support organisations/private sector delivering a consistent message relating to
finance products and services, anticipating and responding to high level issues and
• Work with the private sector, sector bodies, trade associations, financial and
professional services and public authorities in developing a sustainable business
finance market addressing market failure by influencing and encouraging private
• Support the Head of Finance for Business in a strategic role, influencing the
national and European agenda on business finance and deputise for the Grants for
PLANNING AND ORGANISING
• To manage, monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of public supported finance
products in the Northwest and identify market gaps
• The product planning cycle, from identifying market gap, developing strategy and
delivering solution is a minimum of 3 to 5 years (as may require DBERR or EU
approval) and must attempt to keep pace with forecasted changes to the external
environment and finance market
• Project manage new product strategy development to ensure projects are delivered
to agreed timescale and budget, working closely with the Finance and Grant
Development Managers for technical experience and expertise
• Contributes to effective market intelligence within the business finance environment
to inform future strategy product development
• Reviews performance of grants on a regular basis across the region to ensure that
product performance improves the development and competitiveness of businesses
within the region.
• Identifies and determines appropriate business contacts to meet strategic goals in
developing business finance products and influencing key stakeholders
• Makes own assessment in ensuring products and services meet the market gap
and to address potential issues
• Consults as appropriate with Grant Manager, Head of Business Finance and other
Agency managers in relation to developing business finance projects
• Identify, coach and mentor members of the team to facilitate the development of
their technical and market knowledge
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS
• Developing and managing relationships typically at CEO/Financial Director level
with private sector enterprises and/or bodies across the region. Manage sub
regional partners and influencing their approach to grants/finance in support of
business simplification. This post would seek to validate concepts for grant product
development and then to implement the eventual new product portfolios through the
delivery of appropriate tailored Agency strategy in this area.
• Develop key relationships across a wide range of stakeholders both public and
private to promote the range of business finance support
• Communicate the strategic vision to the directorate/agency and partners in a
manner which generates buy-in, endorsement, support, co-operation and
commitment, and developing evidence base to support strategic recommendations
• Plan requirements for research and information from business, consultants, RIU,
E&S and then collect, collate and use customer feedback to influence
• Challenge and influence external business finance policy making by promoting the
regions strategic priorities by representing the Agency and developing relationships
with DBERR, GONW, SRPs, EU/International etc.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED
• Educated to a minimum of a degree level qualification or equivalent and having the
ability to demonstrate a substantial and successful proven track record in the
delivery of a similar role within a financial institution or equivalent, preferably within
a business support environment
• A post graduate academic or professional qualification in a related discipline e.g.
Chartered Institute of Marketing would be desirable
• Depth of technical experience in financial product development, product strategy
and marketing, with breadth of knowledge of the business finance market.
Demonstrable experience of identifying market opportunities, developing strategy
and implementing significant product development in financial services or public
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills – written, verbal and presentation
skills with the ability to negotiate, manage and influence senior managers in the
private and public sector
• Comprehensive understanding of issues facing business especially in raising
finance, and ability to develop and assess suitable methods of intervention and a
knowledge of State Aid / EU regulations would be desirable
• Project management experience of the whole product life-cycle including handling
complexity and developing new products to market
• Broad experience and understanding of business support mechanisms and ability
to co-ordinate and integrate future grant products across a range of associated
WHERE DOES THIS ROLE NEED TO BE BASED
Building and Managing Relations B
Actively develops relationships
o Opens discussions with others about the quality of working relationships in
addition to task focus
o Has a strong, purposeful wide network of contacts
o Takes steps to manage how others view them
o Makes time to meet people and develop mutual understanding
o Takes part in professional association or other similar social and networking
Developing Others C
Acts as a performance coach
o Holds regular structured meetings with staff regarding their development
o Enables the identification of clear performance improvement goals
o Provide development challenges with associated opportunities to discus and
o Discus underlying feelings and motives as well as task completion
o Sensitive to the different perceptions and feelings of individual staff regarding
Effective Influencing B
Develops and implements influencing approaches
o Adapts the content, style and tone of communications to the needs of the
audience; varies the language and business terms with different customers.
o Uses a combination of logical argument, personal conviction and passion to
create a winning case.
o Uses understanding of the organisation (culture, structure) to tailor the
o Involves others in decisions in order to gain support.
Promotes team effectiveness
o Encourages all group members to participate fully to build team effectiveness.
o Integrates the skills and abilities of the team to create a successful unit.
o Actively takes steps to build the team in order to promote group morale
Represents interests of their team/function within NWDA.
o Takes responsibility for performance and general feedback about the team.
Striving for Success C
Sets and achieves targets
o Regularly exceeds targets/expectations.
o Sets high standards for self and/or others.
o Has a drive to create and deliver own standards of excellence.
o Makes changes in methods of work to improve business results.
Thinking and Acting Ahead B
o Anticipates obstacles not obvious to others and thinks ahead; takes action to
avoid a crisis.
o Thinks ahead to identify opportunities to achieve better outcomes.
o Put things in place now to avoid difficulties later.
o Prepares for all eventualities; draws up contingency plans.
o Predict the futures by reviewing past situations.
SELECTION AND ASSESSMENT
Minimum process: Additional relevant process:
Panel Interview Presentation
Competency Assessment Written report