Annual Cycle of Business
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Like this? Share it with your network

Share
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Be the first to comment
    Be the first to like this
No Downloads

Views

Total Views
682
On Slideshare
682
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0

Actions

Shares
Downloads
1
Comments
0
Likes
0

Embeds 0

No embeds

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
    No notes for slide

Transcript

  • 1. ANNUAL CYCLE OF BUSINESS One of the recommendations in the Committees Review Report to Council in July 2006 was: R11. that at the beginning of session all the major committees should agree an annual business cycle showing what business will be considered at each meeting and how the business links to university strategy and also where the major risks to the University might be Different committees have taken varying approached to the drafting of such a paper. Links are provided in the table below – press CTRL and click on the link to go to the first page of each document. Alternatively, the documents are available on the Admin S:COMMON drive in the Papers folder. Council paper 06/668 Council Senate paper 06/593 Senate Research Committee paper 06/111 Research Strategy and Resources paper 06/128 Strategy Academic Standards and Quality Committee paper 06/666 ASQC Graduate Development Committee paper 06/714 GDC Committee Secretaries’ Toolkit 13/05/2010
  • 2. Annual Cycle of Business against Council's Statement of Primary Responsibilities 06/668 Primary Responsibility Business/Activity Lead/Delegated Authority Timing/Frequency 1. Approval of mission and 1. Contribute to and approve 1. S&RC and Finance Group June/July 2007. strategic vision, plans and Strategic Plan and financial KPIs. forecasts. 2. Approval of academic 2. Senate. developments. 2. Delegate authority to Vice- Annual address to Council on Vice-Chancellor. October 2006. Chancellor for management University achievements and of University. ambitions 3. Establish and monitor systems 1. Internal audit programme for 1& 2 Audit Committee (and Joint Internal 1. June/July 2006 of control and accountability. next Session Audit) 2&3 December 2. Audit Committee and JIAU 2006 Annual Reports 2005/06 3. Risk management Annual Report Finance Group/S&RC 4. Monitor and evaluate the Review Key Performance Indicators S&RC February 2007. performance and effectiveness (KPIs). of the institution. 5. Monitor and evaluate the 1. Undertake review of 1. Council and Working Group on 1. 2007/08. performance of the governing effectiveness. Governance. body itself. 2. Committees Review 2. Council and Senate 2. July 2007 6. Conduct business in Statement of Corporate Governance Treasurer, S&RC and Audit Committee. December 2006. accordance with best practice in annual accounts. in corporate governance. 2
  • 3. Annual Cycle of Business against Council's Statement of Primary Responsibilities 06/668 7. Safeguard the good name and Vice-Chancellor and University Board. On-going. values of the University. 8. Appointment of Vice- 1. Establishment of Appointing 1. Council/Senate N/A Chancellor and performance Committee as set out in monitoring. Ordinance 5 2. V-C's appraisal by Chair. 2. Vice-Chancellor/Chair of Council September 2007. 9. Appointment of a Secretary Appointment made by Council and Council/Vice-Chancellor Completed 2004. separation of responsibilities by means of two job descriptions. 10. Be employing authority for 1. Approve Human Resource 1. S&RC, Human Resources On-going all staff. Strategy, Health and Safety Committee, Health Safety and Policy, Equality and Diversity Environment Committee, Equality issues. and Diversity Committee 2. Salaries for senior staff 3. Pension provision for staff July 2007. 4. Approve Chair appointments 2. Remuneration Committee 3. CU Pension Fund Trustees 4. Senate 11. Be principal financial and 1. Approve University accounts Finance Group, S&RC, Audit and Estate 1, 4, 5 December 2006 business authority, 2. Receive financial reports Strategy Group approving annual budget and 3. Monitor Estate Development 2 + 3 every meeting be responsible for University's assets, property and estate. 4. Risk Management Annual 6. July meeting Report. 5. Value for Money Annual Report 7. March/April 6. Financial Regulations meeting 7. Allocations of resources 12. Be legal authority and Appoint panel of legal advisors with Vice-Chancellor, Secretary to Council and On-going. ensure university meets its 3
  • 4. Annual Cycle of Business against Council's Statement of Primary Responsibilities 06/668 obligations. Council member present. other Administrative Directors 13. Make provision for 1. Monitor student services 1. Pro Vice-Chancellor for Staff and 1. Report to S&RC general welfare of students. Students 2. Receive reports from Student 2. Student President. 2. Every Meeting of President. Council 3. Finance Group/S&RC 3. Tuition Fees 4. Finance Group 3. March/April 4. Residences Fees 4. Nov/Dec meeting 14. Act as trustee for property, 1. Allocation and monitoring of 1. Senate and Pro Vice-Chancellor for Annual report legacy, endowment bequest or student prizes and awards Staff and Students gift. 2. Treasury Management Report 2. Treasurer/Finance Group 15. Ensure constitution is followed Secretary to Council. and that appropriate advice is obtained. 4
  • 5. 06/593 SENATE: CYCLE OF BUSINESS, SESSION 2006-07 The following matters are scheduled to come before Senate in Session 2006-07: • Presentation by Vice-Chancellor on the state of the University [1st meeting of Session] • Welsh Language Scheme Annual Report [November] • Honorary Fellows [April-June] • RAE - approval of Cardiff's submission intentions. HEFCE will be surveying Cardiff University’s intentions during the Spring of 2007 • Institutional Review • Strategic Plan – annual review and report against progress for University Strategic Plan and supporting Strategies [Research, L&T, Innovation and Engagement] • Review of teaching allocation methodology • Committee Review – follow-up of consideration of remit and membership of sub- committees of Senate. The following routine items will be presented to Senate at most meetings: • Report of action taken by Chair of Academic Policy Committee • Chair’s action • Minutes from sub-committees, Council and S&RC • Vacancies on committees (as required) • Staff matters • Research Grants and Statistics 1X
  • 6. 06/111 ANNUAL CYCLE OF BUSINESS – RESEARCH COMMITTEE SESSION 2006/07 1. Background 1.1 A recommendation from the current review of committees is that Committees receive at their first meeting of each session a paper setting out the annual cycle of business and how it fits with the delivery of University strategy. 1.2 Appendix 1 shows the priority business for Research Committee in Session 2006/07, in line with the Research Strategy. The table also shows lead responsibilities for the support and delivery of actions, including where work will be undertaken by sub- groups of Research Committee. Outline timescales for the actions are also provided. 1.3 The review of committees also recommends that Chairs/secretaries examine during Session 2006/07 the terms of reference and membership of the Committee. This review will inform the future development of the annual cycle of business. The development of the Research Strategy and pilot of the Lean-approach will also inform future iterations of the business cycle. 1.4 The Research Committee is invited to consider the cycle of business for Session 2006/07 as at Appendix 1. K Hoose 051006 6
  • 7. 06/111 RESEARCH COMMITTEE –CYCLE OF BUSINESS FOR SESSION 2006/07 Business Lead Responsibilities Timescale 1. Research Strategy Review the Research Strategy, pilot Lean-thinking, and PLANN/RACDV Research Committee to consider develop action plans. December 2006 for further development throughout the year. 2. Development of Performance Indicators In line with development of Research Strategy and Critical Research Performance Indicators Group Session 2006/07 Success Factors, determine key performance indicators. Research Performance Indicators Group, with October 2006 Approve research income targets for 2006/07 PLANN/RACDV Research income targets for 2007/08: review methodology Research Performance Indicators Group, with By May 2007 and targets PLANN/RACDV Review PGR student targets and methodology (with Research Performance Indicators Group, with By May 2007 Graduate Development Committee) PLANN/REGIS At each meeting of Research Receive reports of research awards and grants awarded RACDV Committee, plus annual report on total income for previous Session Receive report on success against previous Session’s RACDV research income targets First meeting of each session 3. External Context Consider external context for research (e.g. local, national PLANN/RACDV As issues arise, but standing item and international policy matters; funding issues) on agendas 4. Research Assessment Exercise Manage Cardiff’s submission to the 2007/08 Research Deadline for submission 30 Assessment Exercise: November 2007 • Project management/data and software issues; RAE Operations Group Monthly meetings • Strategic approach and advice to schools and Monthly meetings (with update 7
  • 8. 06/111 institution RAE Sub-Group reports to each meeting of Research Committee) • Oversight of work of RAE Sub-Group As required RAE Steering Group • Research Web Profiles project Update reports to each meeting of INSRV Research Committee 5. Promotion of Excellence and Research Quality Sponsor Research Committee seminar on a theme regarding PLANN Annually in September the achievement and promotion of excellence in research Disseminate good practice on building quality research Secretary Following consideration at October 2006 meeting 6. Research Infrastructure and Funding Receive and endorse the methodology for distribution to PLANN May meeting (following schools of the Research Allocations for the next session publication of HEFCW Recurrent Grant) Consider use of external initiative funding in support of Chair and representatives as appropriate, with As required research, e.g. HEFCW monies, SRIF etc PLANN/RACDV, to advise Determine use of Research Initiative Funds for 2006/07: Research Initiative Sub-Group of Research Review November 2006 for report Committee to Research Committee December 2006. • Travel Grant Scheme, Visiting Fellows Scheme RAE Steering Group/RAE Steering Group As cases for strategic support are identified in preparation of RAE submissions up to November 2007. • RAE Initiative monies Chair/Secretary As cases arise; reported to Research Committee as Chair’s action Receive update reports from the Portal Services INSRV via Chair Implementation Group (PSIG) for Research, as part of Update report to each meeting Modern Working Environment (MWE) project 7. Support for Interdisciplinary Research 8
  • 9. 06/111 Establish Research Topic Groups, as required, in line with RACDV; Chair/Secretary of Topic Groups to As required; in line with Research priority areas, and receive notes therefrom provide notes Topic Group meetings. Notes will be made available to members for inspection. Sponsorship and support of interdisciplinary events RACDV Three events held annually Oversee establishment of Interdisciplinary Research PLANN/RACDV (with other support As required. Cases dealt with by Centres (IRCs), including consideration of business cases directorates as required); Chair of Research correspondence as required, and Committee and Dean of Interdisciplinary Studies outcomes reported to Research Committee 8. Enhancement of Research Culture Consider issues relating to the training and development of Early Stage Researchers Group; Research and ESRG reports to each meeting of early stage researchers Graduate Schools Research Committee; RGS reports made available to members for inspection Report to, and receive from, Graduate Development Secretary Following each meeting. GDC Committee any issues of note reports will be made available to members for inspection. 9. Research Governance and Management Oversee development and sustainability of a University- University Research Ethics Committee (UREC) Minutes of meetings made available to wide awareness of ethical issues members for inspection; annual report to Research Committee May 2007 Oversee scientific review and risk assessment for joint Joint Trust /University Peer and Risk Review Minutes of meetings made Trust/University projects in line with the Research Committee (JTUPeRR) available to members for inspection Governance Framework. 9
  • 10. ANNUAL CYCLE OF BUSINESS FOR STRATEGY AND RESOURCES COMMITTEE FOR 2006/07 1. Background and Remit 1.1 The Strategy and Resources Committee is governed by Ordinance 10H which sets out its composition, powers and lines of reporting and has been delegated authority by the Council. As such, the Committee is expected to submit reports to the Council on decisions it takes on their behalf. The Strategy and Resources Committee has a broad remit and Ordinance 10H has been structured to give clarity to its duties and responsibilities by grouping them according to the nature of business. 2. Position within the University’s Committee Framework 2.1 The committee structure for Cardiff University provides a clear delineation of how committees relate to each other and how reporting lines are intended to operate. Within the approved committee framework, the Strategy and Resources Committee has a sub-structure of sub-committees and groups. 3. Responsibilities 3.1 The table attached at Appendix 1 to this paper illustrates the responsibilities of Strategy and Resources Committee. It shows the duties and reporting lines, the business the Committee can expect to receive and when, and the lead responsibilities in terms of both directorates/divisions and other Committees and Sub-Groups. 3.2 Strategy and Resources Committee holds a responsibility for strategic planning across the University which includes ensuring the integration of institutional strategies and the effectiveness of strategic planning processes, having regard to the external context in which the University operates. This also includes the monitoring of progress against objectives. It holds a responsibility for resource allocation including approval of the University’s annual budget and authorisation of the allocation of external initiative monies. It also has responsibilities in respect of financial management, estates management, human resources management (including equality and diversity issues), information management and management controls, in terms of compliance with legislation affecting the management and operation of the Universities activities. Strategy and Resources Committee has a wide remit and thus could be said to be deliberative, decision-making, advisory and monitoring in terms of its outputs. 4. Issues for Consideration 4.1 The Annual Business Cycle has served to highlight some issues which might merit consideration by the Committee. These issues range from items which perhaps should come through the Committee and items which perhaps no longer need to. The list below illustrates the items in question: • 3.1.1 – Strategic Planning. The Committee receives a wide range of strategic planning documents and University strategies. However, it has not received the full Information Strategy, only an Annual Report. Perhaps, given the importance attached to IT developments, the Committee should formally receive the University’s Information Strategy. This also raises the question of the University’s Learning Environment Strategy and the involvement that the Committee should have with this given that resources will need to be allocated to deliver the Strategy. • 3.1.4 – School Strategic Planning Processes. The remit of the Committee states that it should ‘receive recommendations on the processes and guidelines for School strategic plans for approval’. However, in the last couple of years this has been done through 2
  • 11. 06/111 the University Board (which also acts as the Standing Panel for Strategy and Resources Committee) and this approach has worked effectively. • 3.2.2 – Annual budgets for Support Directorates. The remit of the Committee states that it should ‘receive and consider budgets of support directorates’. This has not formally come through the Committee and perhaps is something that could be delegated to the Finance Group and reported back through the Finance Group Report to the Committee. • 3.2.5 – Allocation to the Students’ Union. The Committee should receive and consider the recommended allocation to the Students’ Union but, again, this has not formally come through the Committee. Perhaps, again this is something that could be formally delegated to the Finance Group. • 3.2.7 – Authorise the allocation of external initiative monies. The Committee should note that the mechanism by which this is usually done is through the Standing Panel of Strategy and Resources Committee. • 3.5.2 – Emeritus Professors. The remit of the Committee states that it should ‘forward the names of any Emeritus Professors to Senate and the Council’. It is worth questioning whether it is actually necessary for the Committee to do this and whether this responsibility could formally be delegated to the Human Resources Committee. • 3.8.1 – The Project Management Framework. It is worth considering whether the Committee should be receiving reports of the projects within the University which are being carried out under the Project Management Framework or on the proposed review of the Project Management Framework. • 3.8.2 – Annual Report from the Directors’ Meeting. The Committee is meant to receive an annual report from the Directors’ Meeting but as this hasn’t happened as yet it seems sensible to consider whether it is actually necessary. 4.2 In the interests of improving the efficiency of the Committee, and given the wide range of business received, now might be a good time to consider how best to handle matters most effectively. This paper is meant to open the debate and any considerations and suggestions could form the basis of a review of the Committee’s terms of reference and remit as recommended by the Committees Review. 5. Recommendations 5.1 Strategy and Resources Committee is asked to: • Note the activities in the Annual Cycle of Business attached at Appendix 1 to this paper; • Consider the issues noted above and how the Committee could work more effectively; • Note that, this session, consideration will be given to whether the Committee’s terms of reference and remit are still fit for purpose. Nichola Amor Planning Division 02/11/06 3
  • 12. 06/128 Appendix 1 ANNUAL CYCLE OF BUSINESS FOR STRATEGY AND RESOURCES COMMITTEE FOR 2006/07 3.1 Strategic Planning Duties/Reporting Lines Business Timing Lead Responsibilities .1 Consider proposals for the institutional Receive: Strategic Plan, having considered the views expressed by University Board, and Strategic Plan and financial June 2007 Planning Division/ ensure integration of institutional forecasts, Finance Division strategies, for recommendation to Council. plus a report on progress against November 2006 Planning objectives to be received annually; Division/Research and Commercial Development Division Innovation and Engagement November 2006 (Innovation and Strategy; Engagement Board) Estates Strategy Review June 2007 Estates Division (Estates Strategy Group) Welsh Language Provision Action June 2007 Registry Plan; (Welsh Medium Sub- Committee) Race Equality Policy and Action June 2007 Corporate Compliance Plan. Unit (Equality and Diversity Committee) .2 Oversee use of the HEFCW Third Innovation and Engagement Board November 2006 Planning Division Mission Fund. established as a sub-committee of Strategy and Resources Committee (Innovation and which receives the minutes of the Engagement Board) Group and its sub-panels, and any 3
  • 13. 06/111 Duties/Reporting Lines Business Timing Lead Responsibilities substantive strategic issues arising therefrom. .3 Ensure the University’s “All Wales” role, Health Policy Group established as Minutes of the Health Policy Group and shaping of/response to health policy a sub-committee of Strategy and Health Policy group developments are given appropriate Resources Committee. Strategy and other issues consideration. and Resources Committee receives received as and when the minutes of the Group, and any necessary. substantive strategic issues arising therefrom. .4 Ensure the processes for the school Receive recommendations on the Planning Division strategic planning process are effective processes and guidelines for school and efficient. strategic plans for approval. .5 Consider, at least on an annual basis, the Consider External Context paper. November 2006 Planning Division current external context in which the University operates at international, national, regional and local level in order to assess how that context affects its strategic plans. Report thereon to Senate and the Council. 3.2 Resource Allocation Duties/Reporting Lines Business Timing Lead Responsibilities .1 Approve, on an annual basis, the Receive and consider a paper on June 2007 Planning Division / allocation of the University’s annual Estimated Allocations. Finance Division budget, including monies to the (Finance Group) Academic Policy Committee for distribution to Schools. 4
  • 14. 06/111 .2 Consider and approve the annual budgets Receive and consider budgets of Finance Division for the support directorates. support directorates. (Finance Group) .3 Approve the funds to be made available Receive and consider operational Information Services to the Information Services Directorate, plan from Information Services Directorate/ Finance subject to receipt of a satisfactory annual Directorate and planned Division operational plan for the expenditure of expenditure. (Finance Group) funding. .4 Approve in-year allocations and Receive and consider paper on February 2007 Planning Division/ subsequent revisions thereafter within the Final Allocations, Finance Division overall budget (excluding funds allocated (Finance Group) to the Academic Policy Committee and and ad-hoc reports on allocations of As and when the Information Services Directorate). additional funding, e.g. from the necessary Unspecified Fund, Vice-Chancellor’s Fund. .5 Consider the allocation given by the Receive and consider recommended Finance Division University to the Students’ Union. allocation to the Students’ Union. (Finance Group) Receive the Students’ Union annual Receive Students’ Union accounts November 2006 accounts and budget. and budget. .6 Satisfy itself that value for money is being Receive an annual report on Value November 2006 Finance Division sought and achieved for the use of all funds. for Money. (Finance Group) .7 Authorise the allocation of external Approve the internal allocation of initiative monies. monies from various HEFCW funding schemes, such as: Science Research Investment Fund; Planning Division Widening Access Premium and November 2006 Planning Division Widening Access Fund; (Innovation and Engagement Board) 5
  • 15. 06/111 Capital Infrastructure monies for As and when Planning Division/ Learning and Teaching & IT, and received from any Supplementary rounds of HEFCW funding; Third Mission Fund; November 2006 Research and Commercial Directorate/ Planning Division (Innovation and Engagement Board) Registry Welsh Medium Provision funding. As and when (Welsh Medium Sub- received from Committee) HEFCW Planning Division Reconfiguration & Collaboration As and when Fund received from HEFCW Planning Division Strategic Development Fund As and when received from HEFCW 3.3 Financial Management Duties/Reporting Lines Business Timing Lead Responsibilities .1 Receive advice on financial management The Finance Group provides A report from Finance Division matters. specific advice on the financial Finance Group is matters at 2.9 of Ordinance 10H. received at every (Finance Group) meeting. .2 Recommend to the Audit Committee and Receive and consider Judgement November 2006 Finance Division the Council that the relevant criteria by 6
  • 16. 06/111 which financial statements have been paper. (Finance Group) prepared satisfy the Council's responsibilities. Receive financial accounts. Receive annual financial accounts. November 2006 Finance Division (Finance Group) .3 Recommend to the Academic Policy Receive annual schedule of tuition February 2007 Finance Division Committee an annual schedule of tuition fees. fees. (Finance Group) .4 Receive, via the Campus Services Group, Approve: for approval residential fees, other charges relating to residential Residences and Catering budget June 2007 Campus Services Group accommodation/facilities, and other fees/ and residential fees; charges for services overseen by the Campus Services Group. Aberdare Hall budget and June 2007 Campus Services Group residential fees; any issues related to charges for Campus Services Group sport and exercise facilities. 3.4 Estate Management Duties/Reporting Lines Business Timing Lead Responsibilities .1 Responsibilities for the estate of the Receive the minutes of the As and when Estates Division University in its widest sense. meetings of the Estates Strategy available (Estate Project Groups) Group and the project groups established to oversee major schemes for building development and refurbishment, and any matters arising therefrom. 7
  • 17. 06/111 Responsibilities for the estate of the Receive, for note, reports on As and when Estates Division University in its widest sense. (continued) planning applications and tenders necessary (Estates Strategy awarded for building works. Group) Receive reports on planned new Estates Division building developments/ (Estates Strategy refurbishment/ maintenance, and Group) space allocation. Consider any proposals for changes to the space allocation guideline Estates Division/ formula. Planning Division (Estates Strategy Group) 3.5 Human Resource Management Duties/Reporting Lines Business Timing Lead Responsibilities .1 Receive advice on the operation and Receive the minutes of the Human Minutes of the Human Resources implementation of the HR Strategy and Resource Committee and any Human Resources Directorate personnel procedures and policies, for substantive strategic items of Committee meetings recommendation to Council. business for consideration and will be received at (Human Resources recommendation thereon to the the November, Committee) Council. February and June meetings .2 Emeritus Professors. Forward the names of any Emeritus As and when Human Resources Professors to Senate and the necessary Committee/ Secretary of Council. Strategy and Resources Committee (Human Resources Committee) 8
  • 18. 06/111 3.6 Equality and Diversity Issues Duties/Reporting Lines Business Timing Lead Responsibilities .1 Receive advice on equality and diversity Receive the minutes of the Equality Minutes of the Equality and Diversity issues which impact on students and staff, and Diversity Committee, and any Equality and Manager for recommendation to Council. substantive strategic items of Diversity Committee business for consideration and meetings will be (Equality and Diversity recommendation thereon to the received at the Committee) Council. November, February and June meetings. 3.7 Information Management Duties/Reporting Lines Business Timing Lead Responsibilities .1 Ensure the implementation and operation Receive an annual report from the February 2007 Information Services of the University’s Information Strategy. Director of the Information Directorate Services Directorate on information technology, information services and information resources and investment. Strategy and Resources Committee may ask to receive update reports on major IT/IS projects. .2 Consider other strategic issues related to The Committee is likely to receive Information Services information management. items of business including issues Directorate/ Corporate arising from the Freedom of Services Directorate Information Act Publication Scheme and a strategy for Management Information Systems and resourcing thereof. 9
  • 19. 06/111 3.8 Management Controls Duties/Reporting Lines Business Timing Lead Responsibilities .1 Satisfy itself that mechanisms are in place Receive advice and reports on: to ensure compliance with legislation affecting the management and operation Data protection; Information Services of the University’s activities. Directorate/Corporate Compliance Unit Project Management Framework; Planning Division/ other support directorates as appropriate Risk management and contingency Finance Division/ Corporate planning. Compliance Unit .2 Monitor the structure, operation and Strategy and Resources Committee Strategic Development expenditure of the support services. to consider how this might be done Directorate/ Finance most efficiently and effectively, Division particularly with regard to those services with large operational budgets. Receipt of an annual report from VCO the Directors’ Meeting. 10
  • 20. 06/666 DRAFT ASQC ACTION PLAN: 2006 – 2008 (to be confirmed following consultation with ASQC Members) Activity/Theme 2006-07 performance indicators Progress/plans against performance indicators 2007-08 performance indicators Developing and delivering quality To agree with all Schools a Proposals for the scheduling of the second round of assurance processes schedule for engaging with QPR Quality Progress Review and Periodic Review were Round 2 during the period 2006 – approved by ASQC last session. An update on the (key priorities/performance indicators 2008. scheduling of future events is provided under for the development and delivery of Agendum 9.1. institutional quality assurance procedures. See also the area of To commence QPR Round 2 QPR Round 2 has recently commenced, with EARTH activity below on maximising the activity. being the first School to engage with the process. use of evidence sources.) MEDIC undertook QPR Round 1 in November 2006 To complete QPR Round 1 activity and the outcomes will be reported to the next meeting at Heath Park Schools. of ASQC. All Heath Park Schools will then have completed QPR Round 1. To agree the format of the next Proposals will be presented for consideration by round of Periodic Review and ASQC during Session 2006-07. Revalidation processes, to be delivered during the period 2008 – 2011. To complete Periodic Review and PGMDE completed Periodic Review and Revalidation Revalidation Round 1 activity at last Session. DENTL and SOHCS (Pre-Registration Heath Park Schools. Programmes) have recently completed Periodic Review and the outcomes of these Revalidation events will be presented to the next meeting of ASQC. SONMS are currently engaged in Periodic Review and have requested an extension to the Review period (vide Agendum 9.3). MEDIC are scheduled to undertake Periodic Review during Session 2007 – 2008, as are SOHCS in respect of their Post-Registration programmes. To continue to deliver and develop APRE Sub-Committee to consider the operation of the APRE process (including the the APRE process and to make recommendations for consideration of issues arising from any amendments/enhancements to the process. 11
  • 21. 06/666 the reports of external examiners). Developing the Cardiff University To develop a consolidated Proposals to be presented to ASQC in February awards Framework approach to annual reporting to 2007, addressing the areas discussed at the last ASQC on the assessment process, meeting (vide ASQC Minute 191.2). REGIS has (key priorities/performance indicators to facilitate the work of ASQC in established an internal group (The TAP Group) to to ensure that the Cardiff University identifying institutional themes and consider assessment-related matters in an integrated Awards Framework is sufficiently areas requiring attention. and holistic manner, and this Group is developing the robust and flexible to respond to approach to be presented to ASQC. external and internal developments) To respond to external Regulations Sub-Committee to consider issues developments related to credit and relating to ECTS during Session 2006-07. awards frameworks, such as CQFW and ECTS, and to the QAA are progressively reviewing all Sections of the ongoing revision of the QAA Code Code of Practice and Cardiff will continue to of Practice. contribute to the consultation with the sector on revision and, subsequently, to ensure its internal processes meet the Precepts contained in the revised Sections of the Code. To respond to the ongoing work of The Second Consultation from the Burgess Group the Burgess Review Group on the has recommended a model for recording student future of the UK Honours Degree. achievement in HE based on a pass/fail approach with an enhanced Diploma Supplement/Transcript. Following discussion at the October meeting of ASQC, Cardiff has responded to the Consultation. To continue to roll-out CU Awards Confirmation required from relevant across provision as appropriate. statutory/regulatory bodies of necessary constitutional changes and completion of recognition procedures. Overseas authorities need to be kept fully informed of changes. To consider further Regulatory A number of changes have been agreed during last changes and clarifications arising Session and this Session. Further changes will be from Degree Awarding Powers (the presented to ASQC during this Session, following Regulations ‘Shopping List’) – to initial consideration by the Regulations Sub- ensure that the Regulatory Committee. framework is clear, consistent and accessible to students, staff and 12
  • 22. 06/666 other stakeholders. Implementation of the Assessment To continue to support schools in A programme of support to consolidate and help Strategy implementing procedures related to schools embed the actions arising from the recent regulatory changes. implementation of the Assessment Strategy is (priority actions to support reliability of currently being developed. To help provide continuity and ongoing support for schools, funding has been assessment) agreed to keep the Change Champion (Assessment) in post for one day a week throughout 2007. A well attended and well-received programme of To support the University’s policies seminars and events was held during October and and procedures related to unfair November, including workshops on plagiarism and practice. unfair practice. To consider further regulatory and Under Agendum 7.3, ASQC is invited to recommend procedural changes to enhance to APC and Senate the approval of Guidance for reliability in assessment. Schools on reliability and consistency of marking and feedback. To review, and if appropriate, revise Policy in this area is being reviewed in light of procedures for reasonable schools’ experience of implementing the current adjustments in assessment. arrangements. Maximising the use of evidence To identify an institutional approach Proposals to be presented to ASQC during Session sources to the collective analysis of the 2006-07. outcomes from all student-based evidence sources (eg NSS, Project ‘Q’, School-based questionnaires, feedback from the new Students’ Academic Council), to enable the University to address the main themes arising in a concerted fashion. To continue to develop and REGIS officers to undertake initial work on the use integrate the use made of the made of outputs from these processes and the scope outputs from the key quality and for enhanced integration of the consideration of these standards processes of outputs. This work will then link directly to the above approach to be agreed in respect of the outcomes 13
  • 23. 06/666 • APRE from student-based evidence sources. • external examiners’ reports QPR Round 2 will be an additional source of evidence • QPR (Rounds 1 and 2) of practice within Schools in relation to these areas. • Periodic Review • Reports of PAP events • reports of PSB accreditation events to enable the University to address the permeating themes of Equality and Diversity, Student Involvement, Learning Environment and Learner Support in an integrated fashion. To propose specific actions relating to the evidence gathered on the experience of students in the following areas: Analysis is currently being undertaken of a range of • ensuring equality of evidence sources pertinent to the experience of jointly experience for Jointly taught students; Taught students; this issue will be considered again with reference to • students studying away the revised draft of Section 9 of the QAA Code of from the Institution Practice, when this is available. QAA have indicated that a draft will shortly be available for consultation with the sector. The publication date is planned for the end of April 2007. Developing the institutional To implement ASQC’s agreed An officers group comprising members from REGIS, ‘Bologna’ agenda approach to the development of the PLANN, INTER and RACDV met on 23 October 2006 ‘Bologna’ agenda (this also links to to discuss sources of information on the Bologna (actions to enable the University and its the implementation of the process, the issues arising from the process and the Schools to better engage with the key University’s new framework for best way to involve Academic Schools in the issues arising from the ‘Bologna’ collaborative provision – see discussions surrounding the Bologna issues. process) below). The group agreed to construct a single source document containing links to the various information sources and to give thought to the best way of 14
  • 24. 06/666 involving Academic Schools in future discussions. Future approach to portfolio To review and enhance the Proposals to be presented to ASQC during Session management institutional Programme Approval 2006-07. Procedure (PAP) To implement relevant aspects of Establishment of Collaborative Provision Sub-Group the University’s new frameworks for of ASQC with immediate effect. the approval and delivery of Collaborative and Incorporation of the Collaborative and F/D-L Flexible/Distributed Learning frameworks within the University’s Programme provision (this also links to the Approval and Maintenance Handbooks. implementation of ASQC’s agreed approach to the ‘Bologna agenda’ REGIS officers have been in discussion with – see above). Martineau Johnson Solicitors to produce a suite of template documents for institutional agreements to be used for collaborative provision. These discussions are ongoing. University Committee Review – To consider the purpose, remit, The Group established to undertake this review is review of the purpose, remit and evidence sources of and outputs scheduled to meet on 23 January 2007, following membership of ASQC, GDC and LTC from ASQC, LTC & GDC which recommendations will be presented to ASQC, GDC and LTC during this Session. 15
  • 25. 06/666 REGULAR ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION BY ASQC In addition to the above developmental actions, ASQC will continue to receive, as appropriate: • minutes/reports from its Sub-Committees; • reports of the appointment of external examiners and any issues relating thereto; • reports of the outcomes of PAP events; • proposals for changes to existing degree programmes, as and when these arise; • reports of the outcomes of PSB accreditation events; • information relating to the volume, nature and scope of the University’s key quality assurance processes; • information from external bodies (eg HEFCW, QAA) in respect of national quality and standards developments; • reports on the way in which the University exercises its delegated authority under the City & Guilds Senior Awards Scheme; • summary reports from Graduate Development Committee and Learning and Teaching Committee (and will itself submit reciprocal reports to those Committees) David H Lloyd Senior Assistant Registrar 5 December, 2006 16
  • 26. 06/714 GRADUATE DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE DRAFT ACTION PLAN Area of activity Priority area/ performance indicators Progress against priority area/performance indicators 1. Admission and The monitoring of postgraduate intake numbers against targets to Report to GDC October 2006 charted progress against PGR and PGT targets set for induction assess progress against institutional objective of recruiting session 2006-7. increasing numbers of high quality postgraduate students. A sub-group of Research Committee is currently determining CSFs and KPIs to support the University' Research Strategy; this includes determining methodology for establishing further PG intake targets. Chair of GDC is a member. The development of a more applicant-centred institutional A Task and Finish Group is to be established during 2006-7 under the aegis of admissions policy. ASQC to progress the development of an institution-wide 'Admissions Framework', which will concentrate on selection and offer-making and their fairness, consistency and transparency. Membership of the Task and Finish Group will include Postgraduate Admission Tutors. _________________________________________________________ The updating of the guidance given to selectors, supported by To be addressed through the 'Admissions Framework' (see above). seminar sessions. ______________________________________________ The review of applicant and admission management information Standard management information reports received by October 2006 meeting of GDC. Agenda item A12 refers further. – including, specifically, the monitoring of conversion rates and 'turn-around' targets. ________________________________________________ The development of a more co-ordinated approach to tiered and See Agenda item A11. progressive research student induction – considering timing, content, information issues, and the needs of part-time/distant students. 2. The Postgraduate The consideration of key points of principle in respect of New Professional Doctorate approved for commencement of 2006-7; exit point Portfolio postgraduate provision, their formats, structures, assessment, as awards to be clarified under Agenda item A8. applicable, including where that provision is new and innovative. See Agenda item A7. 3. Quality and Standards The continued delivery and development of the Annual Review and Evaluation process (including the consideration of issues arising from the reports of external examiners) 17
  • 27. 06/714 Area of activity Priority area/ performance indicators Progress against priority area/performance indicators ___________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________ The establishment of a Code of Practice for the dissertation stage See Agenda item A7. of Master's programmes, using the Code for Research Degrees as a reference points for the key issues. _______________________________________________ _________________________________________________________ A particular focus on all various aspects of provision for part-time Specifically incorporated into Annual Review and Evaluation. students (- initially, PGR), to ensure equitability of experience against full-time counterparts. Report received by GDC at its October 2006 – more detailed management information and, potentially, a survey of part-time PGR students to result, in order to further progress this matter. See also 'section on 'skills'. _______________________________________________ Establishment of clearer definitions of the entitlements of PGR students, including post-registration and post-examination stages. _______________________________________________ The implementation of the Assessment Strategy – ensuring that Registry has established an internal group (the TAP Group) to consider assessment- postgraduate programmes are fully considered; in respect of PGR, related matters in an integrated and holistic manner. ensuring relevance to progression and final assessment and the connectivity between the two, to reinforce understanding of award criteria throughout the programme. __________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________ Routine report received by GDC October 2006. The monitoring of PhD completion rates in support of the institutional objective to improve this KPI. A sub-group of Research Committee is currently determining CSFs and KPIs to support the University' Research Strategy; this includes consideration of PhD _______________________________________________ completion rates. Chair of GDC is a member. Training for teaching: the establishment of a co-ordinated approach to connect various initiatives and ensure they are centred around PCUTL as a logical touchstone for activity in this area. 18
  • 28. 06/714 Area of activity Priority area/ performance indicators Progress against priority area/performance indicators ________________________________________________ Development of the Student Information Management System Work is ongoing: the target date for delivery of first stage is 1 April 2006 – this will 'Research Module'. support basic administrative processes associated with examination and the monitoring of student progress. (Further development and implementation will be progressed in consultation with Schools and Graduate Schools.) __________________________________________________________ The establishment of an institutional English Language Policy for At its October 2006 meeting, GDC recommended that the English Language Policy PGR students. previously agreed for taught students be equally applied to PGR; this was approved by Senate November 2006. _______________________________________________ (a) Regulations The consideration of an institutional position on collaborative PhD arrangements – e.g. 'Co-Tutelle' (under the University's collaborative awards framework, and with a view to the Bologna process). Consideration of how we monitor at institutional level the minimum This matter, raised specifically by the QAA Special Review team, was highlighted in experience and skills of supervisory teams to assure itself of the the guidance for the latest round of Annual Review and Evaluation (but will require equitable treatment of students. further action). ________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________ Review of how support and information can best be provided to GDC received a report on supervisor training, October 2006; institution-wide supervisors, including external supervisors. supervisor training sessions arranged and part-delivered for 2006/7. Further development is to be considered by the Directors of Graduate Schools group – (b) Supervision acting as a 'Task and Finish' group of GDC. ___________________________________________________________ Review of the implementation of formal record keeping of supervisory meetings. ________________________________________________ Consideration of how we ensure that the production of the This matter, raised specifically by the QAA Special Review team, was highlighted in Research Plan, including training needs analysis is being fully the guidance for the latest round of Annual Review and Evaluation (but will require operated across all Schools. further action). (c) Skills development 19
  • 29. 06/714 Area of activity Priority area/ performance indicators Progress against priority area/performance indicators The continued development of RSSDP co-ordinated by Graduate Routine report on RSSDP received by October 2006 meeting of GDC. This included Centre and Graduate Schools, and contextualised by ongoing specific reference made to skills opportunities developed to meet the perceived work of the Early Stage Researchers Strategy Group. needs of part-time PGR students. (Take-up and evaluation are being monitored during 2006-7). This includes consideration of how the University's Training Strategy and Implementation Plan can better meet the needs of See also Agenda item A10. part-time and distant students. GDC received report on PGR Development Needs Analysis October 2006 which aimed to determine training gaps in the RSSDP; the report is being further considered by Graduate School Management Groups. ________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________ The continued monitoring of PDP in respect of PG students. Specifically incorporated into Annual Review and Evaluation. ________________________________________________ (d) Outcomes The establishment of the Researchers in Residence programme. See Agenda item A5.1. Review of information for research degree candidates/examiners. ____________________________________________________ (e) Feedback and communications Review of research degree examination processes, from nomination of examiners to uses made of examiners' reports. _____________________________________________________ Ensuring that 'Project Q' fully meets the needs of research See Agenda item A3 (- progress reported under Matters Arising). students and those involved in the management of research student activity 20
  • 30. 06/714 4. Overseeing activities Acting as the parent institutional committee to oversee the of Graduate Centre and continued development of the Graduate Centre and Graduate Graduate Schools Schools (specifically, student-related matters). This includes overview of a review of Graduate School activity during 2007. 5. External environment The consideration of matters arising as a result of external imperatives as they manifest – e.g. QAA, research councils. This may be responsive or predictive. 6. Management Ongoing review and improvement to Management Information At its October 2006 meeting GDC received and endorsed Management Information Information – (qualitative and quantitative) in support of the Committee's reports; further developments requested. maximising the use of business. evidence sources See also Agenda item A12. 21X