1. St. Katharine Drexel Church1922 SW 20th Ave Office (239) 283-9501Cape Coral, FL 33991 Religious Ed (239) 283-0525 Website: www.saintkatharinedrexelparish.org E-mail: email@example.com MASS SCHEDULE Saturday Vigil 4:00 pm Sunday Masses 8:30 am, 10:30 am & 12:00 Noon Weekday Masses (Mon.- Fri.) 7:00 am Fifth Sunday of Easter May 6, 2012
2. Page Two Fifth Sunday of Easter May 6, 2012 Let us live not in word or speech but in deed and truth. – 1 John 3:18Graduation Mass Share Your LoveWe will be celebrating the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass in Assistance is needed at the Woodlands ACF in sharingthanksgiving for all of our parish high school and college communion and friendship on Tuesday mornings andseniors on May 15 at 6 pm. If you are a 2012 high praying the Rosary Thursday afternoons. Please considerschool or college graduate and would like to participate, donating just one hour a month. Contact Betty Jane atcall Don or Lourdes Sansone at 242-7275. 239-470-4509 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.Catholics Returning Home Bereavement Support GroupSt. Katharine Drexel Catholic Church is offering a six- The Bereavement Support Group meeting scheduled forweek series entitled “Catholics Returning Home.” Monday, May 7, has been canceled. The next meetingMeetings are on Wednesdays from 6 to 7:30 pm, in the will be Monday, May 21, at 2 pm.Faith Formation bldg. Last session May 16. Sessions arefor non-practicing Catholics who are seeking answers toquestions about returning to the Church. Call JaneDiPaola, 573-8766.CCW Events in MayMay 8, 11:30 am - we have our monthly Mass in thechapel, followed by the Crowning of the Blessed Motherin Mary’s Garden. A short meeting at the parish hall willfollow and subs/hoagies will be served for lunch. Pleasebring boxed/canned food for the grandchildren of GinnyMercado, who are in desperate need.May 20, we will have our annual Mass at 12 noon andour Officers Installation Luncheon at 1:30 pm. Theluncheon will be held at Wine & Roses Restaurant at1404 Cape Coral Pkway, E. Parking in rear of building.Cost $12. Please make checks out to SKDCCW and mailto St. Katharine Drexel, 1922 SW 20th Ave, Cape Coral,FL 33991. Attn: Peggy Thomas. Reservations are pre- VDCCW Convention at San Marco Parish Center in April. Marguerite Schaeffer, Alice Pace,paid and due by Wednesday, May 16th. Judy Powers (NCCA Pres.), Fran PattersonVolunteers NeededVolunteers needed to assist in the parish gift shop for the4:00 pm Mass. Men are welcome. It is a great way toserve in our community and meet fellow parishioners at Small Tasks Each small task of everyday life is part of the totalthe same time. If this interests you, call Judy 282-8286. harmony of the universe. – St. Thérèse of Lisieux
3. Page ThreeReligious Education Mission Outreach MinistryVacation Bible School - “SONRISE” National Park is this Garden Ministry: You are invited to visit our Parishyear’s theme for Vacation Bible School. Mark your Garden, located behind the parish hall. Weve plantedcalendars for the week of June 18 – 22. Share the love nearly 100 vegetables in square foot gardens, raisedof Jesus while making new friends, singing songs, gardens, canisters, tire gardens, and window boxmaking crafts, playing games and hearing the Word of gardens. Stop by after Mass. Our garden team is willingGod. Registration will begin on May 13, after 8:30 and to answer your email or phone questions. We will publish10:30 am Masses during May. links regarding companion gardening in our MissionVacation Bible School is for children going into Outreach Ministry web page on the parish website.Kindergarten thru grade 6. Teenagers going into grade Contact Adele at 239-839-5489, or email us at7 and up may volunteer and receive service hours for email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org. We makeparticipating. Registration fee is $15 a child. Please call home visits also.Teri at 283-0525 if this is a hardship as all children Clothing and Food Drive for Immokalee: We will only beshould be able to attend. collecting canned vegetables, canned fruit andFirst Holy Communion will be on May 5 and May 12. chicken/beef stock. They can be dropped off in theThere are 108 children receiving Jesus for the first time. kitchen in the parish hall until May 13. Clothing cannotPlease keep them in your prayers. be dropped off. Please call Adele at 239-839-5489 orOur last class for this year is the week of May 7- 10. We John Bicking at 239-246-6781 to arrange for pick-up.will honor Mary, The Mother of God and our Mother My Fathers House Mission - Uganda: We are holding awith our annual May Crowning followed by an end of the dinner dance to help raise funds for My Fathers Houseyear party. Thank you to all who have supported us Mission in Uganda. The dinner dance will be held onthroughout the year, especially Fr. John, who is always a Saturday, May 26th at the Event Center on Hancock. Thevisible sign of Christ with us. theme will be Black and White: dress casual or dress-up. Contact Adele at 239-839-5489 for further details.Let’s Cruise Again Fund Raiser Volunteer Opportunity - Lifeline Family Center, a Christian home and learning center for pregnant teensCarnival Valor sailing Oct. 21. 7 day/6 night Western and their precious babies, will be offering volunteerCaribbean. Donation to St. Katharine Drexel in your training for those wishing to become involved with thisname. Ann Vella 283-4382 or Bunnie 542-2824. ministry - Mon., May 7, 6 - 9 pm. Please contact Lifeline Family Center at 242-7238, for further information. Lifeline Raffle - Chance to win 2 tickets on SW Airlines, Golf for Four or Dance Lessons. Drawing June 15. Suggested donation $5 each or 6/$25. Call Lifeline at 242-7238 or Pat at 573-8318. Lifeline Wish List - baby formula (powdered) Similac Advanced, Parents Choice or Enfamil, baby bath soap, baby wipes, baby dishes, sippy cups, new model Diaper Geniis, deodorant, nail polish, starter car for moms starting to work, (safe running condition), baby dishes Parish “Family Album” Sign up on our website for your parish album pictures at www.saintkatharinedrexelparish.org and click on the “Portrait Sign-up” link. If you have any questions or changes, please contact Peggy Sierocinski, 849-6608 or Michelle Pescatrice, 357-6730 after 6:30 pm. If you recently had your picture taken and elected to have your complimentary 8x10 sent to St. Katharine Drexel, the Cursillo Cruisers return home from their 2012 Cruise for Christ to Italy, Greece portraits may be in the parish office. Please stop by to and the Holy Land. pick them up, Mon.-Fri., 9 to 5.
4. Page Four Bulletin Board Last Week Catholic Home Missions - 1700.00 Offertory - 15,858.08Altar Servers: Call Tom at 458-2843.Bereavement Support Group: 1st Mon., 7 pm & 3rd Mon., 2 Catholic Faith Appeal 2012pm, Formation bldg. Next: May 21. (May 7 mtg canceled) Our Goal: 176,000.00Boy Scouts: Meet every Tues. Call Brian Eberz 471-7547. Pledged so far: 151,995.24Brownies: Contact Janice at JKovacs8000@gmail.com orKathy at 878-9343 or KathySiwarski@hotmail.com.Charismatic Prayer Group: Thurs., Formation Bldg., 7:30 pm.Call Suzanne Lewis 945-0767. Parish Office Staff Pastor - Rev. John F. Deary, OSAChurch Environmental Committee: 283-9501. Deacon - Rev. Deacon Richard SpiroCouncil of Catholic Women: Meetings 2nd Tuesday of the Director of Religious Education - Teri Idlermonth, starting Sept. 13. Call Bonnie 863-991-1254. Assistant Dir. of Religious Education - Patty WilsonCursillo/Ultreya: 4th Fri., 7:30 pm. Donna 540-7568. Bookkeeper/Receptionist - Jeanne BurkettEucharistic Adoration: 1st & 3rd Fridays. Call 283-9501. Parish Secretary - Colleen SpiroFr. Christopher Gaynor Assembly #2115 K of C: 4th Tues., 7pm. PARISH OFFICE HOURS: Mon.- Fri. 9 to 5.Healing Prayer: 2nd Wed., parish hall, 7:30 pm to 9 pm. CallJudy 839-4190.High School Youth Group: Meets Sundays at 1 pm. Emailhsyouthgroup.email@example.com. Parish Council MembersHoly Redeemer Associates: 1st Thurs., parish hall, 5:45 pm. Ken Abler, Ken Caserio, Tammy Cousin, RamonCall Joan 283-2680. Mescallado, Fran Patterson, Hank Pellegrino, MichelleKnights of Columbus: 1st & 3rd Mondays, 7:30 pm. Pescatrice, Lourdes Sansone, Peggy SierocinskiKnights of Columbus Ladies Auxiliary: 1st Mondays, 7:30 pm,hall. Call Cecilia 898-9542 or firstname.lastname@example.org.Lay Apostles: 3rd Mondays, 7:15 pm. Call Judy 282-8286. Baptisms: Please obtain a baptism registration form from aNext mtg: May 21. greeter at weekend Masses. Return completed form to church on weekend or parish office during the week. Baptisms will beMiddle School Youth Group: every 2nd Friday, 7-9. Email scheduled only after consultation with priest or deacon. PleaseKaren @ email@example.com. allow at least a month after returning completed form.Mission Outreach: Call Adele 239-839-5489 or go to Confessions: 3:00 pm Saturdays or by appointment.http://saintkatharinedrexelparish.org/Mission-Outreach-Mini Hearing Devices for Mass: Available in the sacristy.stry.html. Mass Intentions: Masses are available for 2013. You may call or come to the parish office, M-F, 9 am to 5 pm. There is aMusic Ministry: Call Don Sansone at 242-7275. limit of 2 weekend Masses per family.Over 50 Singles: Call Betty 540-2551. Registration: Parish registration forms are available in theParish Council: Third Wed., 7:30 pm. Fran Patterson, lobby and also on our website. You can turn it in to a greeterPresident, firstname.lastname@example.org, 540-7116. at a weekend Mass or bring to the office during the week.Prayer Network: Call Sandy 458-1755. Bulletin Guidelines: Deadline for bulletin articles is noon onReligious Articles: Sold after Masses on weekends. Mondays. Holiday weeks usually have earlier deadlines. Please submit written article for the bulletin by email, fax or in person.Religious Education: Call Teri 283-0525. Coffee Social: Held between the 8:30 & 10:30 am SundayRespect Life: Call Maria Maddalena 540-7096. Masses. Baked goods donated by Publix Veteran’s Pkwy. YourRespite Care: Call Dolores 772-2606. free will donations allow us to purchase coffee and supplies.Rosary: Every Thurs. & Friday after 7 am Mass. Library - Faith Formation Building East wing. Variety of booksSecular Franciscans: 2nd Sat., 9:30 am, Formation Bldg. Call categorized in many areas of interest to our Catholic Faith. Lost & Found: Have you lost your glasses or book or rosaryBarbara Carroll, OFS, 239-437-5033. beads? Check the cabinet at the info counter for your lostSmall Faith Communities: Call office at 283-9501. items.Social Committee: Call Ed & Del Johnson at 772-4275. Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/skdchurch
5. Page Five Altar Servers Mass Intentions Sat., May 12, 4:00 pm - Mon., May 7, 7:00 am - RJ Tejeda, Natalie & Daniel Ogden Brian Kobus Sun., May 13, 8:30 am - Requested by mother Patty Kobus Brandon Sweigert, Dakota Friga, Noah Rios Tues., May 8, 7:00 am - Sun., May 13, 10:30 am - Joseph Pescatrice Edward Powers, Alvin Lahanne, Stephanie Moad Requested by Pescatrice family Sun., May 13, 12:00 noon - Wed., May 9, 7:00 am - CJ, Dominic, Matteo Trunkett Lillian Monarchio Requested by Jim & Barbara Monarchio Thurs., May 10, 7:00 am - Coming Up Mae Nardi May 6 - Last week of CCD / May Crowning Requested by Daughters May 11 - Middle School Fun Night Fri., May 11, 7:00 am - May 12 - First Communion Parish Community May 13 - VBS registration starts Sat., May 12, 4:00 pm - Albert Francis Bible Study Requested by wife Carol Ann Now studying the Gospel of Mark. You may choose from Sun., May 13, 8:30 am - one of these times - Tuesday 7:30 pm, Wednesday 11 Margaret Vigoda am or Thursday 7:30 pm. Call Teri at 283-0525. Requested by her loving daughters Sun., May 13, 10:30 am - Julianna Nagier Lay Augustinians Requested by daughter Patricia Fekety Join us every 2nd, 4th & 5th Wednesday, Formation bldg., Sun., May 13, 12:00 noon - 7:30 pm to 9 pm, to pray together, read and discuss St. Walter Kowalczyk Augustine’s life and teachings and share in a friendship Requested by M/M Herman Sewick rooted in the love of Christ. Next mtg: May 9. Healing PrayerAlcoholics Anonymous Meeting If you desire prayer for any physical, emotional orSundays (7 pm), Mondays (10 am), Tuesdays (7:30 pm), spiritual needs, come to parish hall the 2nd Wed. of thein the Formation Bldg. month, between 7:30 pm & 9 pm. Prayer room is room on the right, with sign saying Prayer Room. AppointmentsSmall Faith Communities have preference. Call Judy at 839-4190. Next: May 9.No meetings this week WeddingsEucharistic Adoration Congratulations to - st rdEucharistic Adoration every 1 & 3 Friday, 7:30 am Alex Church & Natalie Blanco - May 19Friday to 9 am Saturday morning. Benediction 7 pmFriday and 9 am Saturday. St. Katharine Drexel LibraryNext: May 18/19. NO Adoration May 4/5 (because of Our Library is located in the Faith Formation Building -First Communion!) East wing. There are a large variety of books categorized in many areas of interest to our Catholic Faith.Adorers Needed Middle School Fun NightWe need adorers for 4 am either both or one Friday a We want you and your friends to come on Friday, Maymonth and 7 pm on the 3rd Friday of each month. 11, 7 to 9 pm in the parish hall. For more info, emailPlease call Colleen at 283-9501. Karen at email@example.com.
6. Page Six Around the Community and DioceseWord of Life - Every great religious revival in America has Financial Manager - St. Charles Borromeo Catholicled to an advance in civil rights—from the Declaration of Church and School is seeking a full-time FinancialIndependence and the Bill of Rights to the end of slavery Manager. The successful candidate must have a strongand the pursuit of racial equality. But all this has been accounting background with 5-8 years experience inachieved in the face of established power structures Payroll, A/P, A/R and fixed assets. Candidate must havestrongly and often violently opposed to these rights. So excellent communication and technical skills includingthis is a time for choosing—choosing whether as use of applications such as QuickBooks, Excel and isCatholics we will stand together to keep open the doors comfortable in learning new software programs, aof religious liberty. If we do so, then we will make Bachelor’s degree in Accounting is required. Qualifiedpossible the next great awakening in America that will candidates are invited to submit a “cover letter” outliningbring us closer to building that culture of life and their qualifications, accomplishments, salarycivilization of love about which John Paul II so often requirements and the name of their parish, along withspoke. - Supreme Knight Carl A. Anderson, Address to the National resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.Catholic Prayer Breakfast (April 19, 2012) Faith and Ale is an informal monthly gathering ofSecond Act Thrift Store - all proceeds go to Abuse Catholic men, October – May, for food, refreshmentsCounseling and Treatment, Inc, a nonprofit agency that ($10 donation) and camaraderie. We meet at the Parishprovides shelter and services to victims of domestic Center at Resurrection in Fort Myers. The Season Finaleviolence, survivors of sexual assault, and survivors of event is on Thurs., May 17, 6-8 pm. Patrick Novecosky,human trafficking. Thrift Store is open Mon-Sat 9 to 8, Catholic journalist and editor of Legatus Magazine, willand Sunday 11 to 5. 12519 South Cleveland Avenue in be our guest speaker. Please register for this event byFort Myers. For info, visit www.secondactthriftstore.com sending an email to FaithandAleFtMyers@gmail.com.or contact Jennifer Benton at 239-939-2553. For more info, visit www.faithandale.com or call Jack Quinlan at 810-434-3406."Mission Possible" trip for youth to St. Lucia - TheMission Office of the Diocese of Venice is seeking youth Catholic Chamber of Commerce meeting is Wednesday,to participate in a 12 day Mission trip to St. Lucia to work May 16, 5 - 7 pm, at Superior Residences at Healthpark.with the poor on this Caribbean island. The mission is We invite all Catholic businesses and ministries. FreeJune 22-July 4. You will need a passport to travel. For refreshments. Non-members welcome. Only $25.00 ainformation and an application, please contact your year to join. Includes listing in business directory and webparish Youth Director or call Elma McCaughey at the site, networking /fellowship meetings throughout theMission Office at 941-625-4754. year, and e-newsletters. Please look for your free Florida Catholic Chamber Business Directory at your churchNovena of Masses for Life - Masses throughout the entrances. Check us out atDiocese on the 25th of every month through December www.floridacatholicchamber.com. For more info, call2012, offered for a greater respect for all human life. Angela at 239-980-0921 or you may emailVisit www.dioceseofvenice.org/novenamasses.php for a email@example.com parish near you. Holy Father’s Prayer Intentions, May 2012 Offered in solidarity with Pope Benedict XVI The Family. That initiatives which defend and uphold the role of the family may be promoted within society. Mary, Guide of Missionaries. That Mary, Queen of the World and Star of Evangelization, may accompany all missionaries in proclaiming her Son Jesus. Website for Pope Benedict’s monthly prayer intentions: http://apostleshipofprayer.org/2012english.html Children’s reflections on the Pope’s intentions: http://www.apostleshipofprayer.org/reflectionsChildren.html