In my preliminary task I already had an idea and some knowledge of the layout of magazines. However I wasn’t yet familiar with ‘photoshop’ or how to use it productively. This front cover was made on ‘Microsoft Word’. It lacks effort and the fonts used are all the same for the cover lines. This makes it look unprofessional and amateur. The cover lines are also very long for a magazine front cover. The photograph was shot once. There was no preparation or plans for it and as you can see the background was not thought through fully (in front of scribbles on a white board.)
This is my final front cover for my music magazine. In comparison to my preliminary one it is much more professional and thought through. I learnt how to use photoshop so with this came photoshop skills. Such as using the ‘lasso tool’ and adding ‘drop shadows’ to text. I couldn’t have done this with my preliminary front cover as I didn’t have these skills yet. I planned my photos before shooting (unlike my preliminary) so I produced ones that I wanted and that fit in the genre of the magazine. After researching various existing music magazine I began to realize all of the codes and conventions used. Such as the barcode, price, font use and colour scheme. This photo, unlike the preliminary one, has been edited and manipulated on photoshop. I didn’t have the knowledge to do this in my preliminary task. It helped to create a style for my music magazine and to make it look more professional overall.
The contents age for my preliminary task was just the basic flat plan. Again it was made in Microsoft Word and has no real skill involved. It is very simple and boring. Overall I don’t think anyone would purchase this school magazine as it is not professional looking and it is boring.
My final front cover shows a lot more skill and effort compared to my preliminary one. The colour scheme is carried on from the front cover and this helps to make it look much more professional. I learnt and developed more skills on photoshop when making this such as layering pictures and text. This contents page also shows that I am now able to crop photos, position text and images in a successful way and that I understand my audience. Unlike my preliminary task I am aiming my magazine at an audience, portraying this through the content, style and colour scheme. Overall you can tell a lot more time and effort was spent on this contents page.
My double page spread was only produced for my final product. I believe that this shows my full development as I am now able to design and create a double page spread where as before, I was not able to. This is down to various research into music, existing music magazines, photoshop lessons and a much more focused and thought out process. I did an interview with an up and coming new artist. The layout for this is conventional and professional looking. I used the same font for ‘JESS HART’ (the name of the artist) as I did for my front cover and contents page title, this ties in the magazine and creates a house style. The photograph are representative of the artist which in turn helps to represent and portray my audience. (confident, strong minded and all about the music)
Overall, having to do the preliminary task first helped me to create my final product. It was a good starting point and was a platform to base my existing knowledge and improve upon this. After my preliminary task I was able to start research and planning for my final product. I learnt that in order to create a good product you have to plan and research everything about your magazine/audience/genre. Throughout the whole process I acquired photoshop skills, editorial skills, genre knowledge, codes and conventions of music magazines and photography skills.